Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guezcoast

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Mayaguez puerto rico
Does any one know if this score beats vita or ps3 score? Hope game developers make triple A games now! Retina res, higher frame rates and full effects=next level mobile gaming!

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I'm skipping the 4.. Perfectly happy with the 3, but if the 5th gen sees a similar jump id be interested!

Seeing how games like Dead Trigger run on the iPad 3 - the idea of >2x the power is getting comical for a portable device!

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
No IGZO, no buy. Expect a thinner, lighter iPad 5 in March with better battery life and no overheating issues.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Is there any way to benchmark this against a "real computer"? I'm curious how the A6x stacks up to the 1.8GHz i5 in a Macbook Air. Obviously the i5 is better but how far away are we from having full power processors in our tablets and phones?

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Is there any way to benchmark this against a "real computer"? I'm curious how the A6x stacks up to the 1.8GHz i5 in a Macbook Air. Obviously the i5 is better but how far away are we from having full power processors in our tablets and phones?
The new 27" 3.2GHz iMac should score in the 13000 to 14000 range, or about 8 times the performance of the iPad 4.

The ARM-based SoCs in iOS and Android tablets have a LONG way to go before they can match the latest desktop processors. Around this time next year, Apple should release an iPad with a quad-core A7 that scores in the 4000-4500 range. Of course, by then, desktops will be in the 15000 to 17000 range.

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
I'm just glad I got the reburbed iPad 3 for 379 direct from Apple. I sold my ipad 2 on ebay for 380, so I basically got a free retina upgrade! I wouldn't buy the ipad 4 cause i have a feeling they are gonna come out with a fully redesigned ipad 5 in March that's probably lighter and slimmer than the ipad 2/3/4's. That same design will be two years old by then so I'm pretty sure its gonna go through a full redesign.

em500

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005

In terms of CPU/memory performance, the A6x is slightly slower than the ULV 1.4/1.6Ghz Core 2 Duo in the MacBook Air from a few years ago, according to Geekbench http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

The Ivy Bridge i5 in the current Air is about 3 times as fast.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
I'm just glad I got the reburbed iPad 3 for 379 direct from Apple. I sold my ipad 2 on ebay for 380, so I basically got a free retina upgrade! I wouldn't buy the ipad 4 cause i have a feeling they are gonna come out with a fully redesigned ipad 5 in March that's probably lighter and slimmer than the ipad 2/3/4's. That same design will be two years old by then so I'm pretty sure its gonna go through a full redesign.
Won't happen. The technology Apple needs won't be available by then.

The TSMC 20nm process that Apple is using for their next-generation, quad-core CPU won't support mass production until the second half of next year. Apple can't even begin to start building the device before July or August, at the earliest. Hence, there won't be a new iPad with a significantly faster processor for another year.

Apple could re-release the current design in a new form factor with a more power-efficient IGZO screen, but a mid-year release which gives us the same thing we have now with a slimmer bezel doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Nexus 10 is 1.7 Ghz, and has 2GB Ram, and has higher resolution, thinner/lighter, and is $100 cheaper, and has multiple user accounts... hmm I dont know which one I'm gonna buy...:rolleyes:

You do realize that Android devices require faster processor and more ram in order to compensate for the inefficiencies in the Android OS so that performance is equivalent to a lower spec'd iOS device.

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Won't happen. The technology Apple needs won't be available by then.

The TSMC 20nm process that Apple is using for their next-generation, quad-core CPU won't support mass production until the second half of next year. Apple can't even begin to start building the device before July or August, at the earliest. Hence, there won't be a new iPad with a significantly faster processor for another year.

Apple could re-release the current design in a new form factor with a more power-efficient IGZO screen, but a mid-year release which gives us the same thing we have now with a slimmer bezel doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I don't think Apple will put in a faster cpu in the ipad 5, they'll just redesign the body and make it slimmer and lighter for March, than by October of the same year, they'll keep the same new design of the ipad 5 but put in a faster cpu like an A7. Thats pretty much what they did this year. What I don't like about the the current design is that it is heavy and it takes too long to charge.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
These benchmarks seems a little fake, I owned iPad 2 & 3, and iPad 2 was no where near as fast as 3,
Keep in mind that both the iPad 2 and iPad 3 have received significant boosts in browsing performance through iOS updates. Thus, iPad 3 browsing performance under OS6 is not comparable to iPad 2 browsing performance under older iOS releases.

Hessel

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2011
Renkum
this is actually impressive. just a few years ago macs had scores like this.

if Apple keeps developing their ARM processors this fast we could see ARM powered macs in a few years. (if the ''mac'' still exists then)

----------

I don't think Apple will put in a faster cpu in the ipad 5, they'll just redesign the body and make it slimmer and lighter for March, than by October of the same year, they'll keep the same new design of the ipad 5 but put in a faster cpu like an A7. Thats pretty much what they did this year. What I don't like about the the current design is that it is heavy and it takes too long to charge.

yeah I agree. I don't own an ipad but I have tried them at the Media Markt and the iPad 2 feels a lot lighter then the iPad 3. I hope they bring back the thin design.

Kenrik

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
Don't build a Porsche and only put two wheels on it.

Funny you use Porsche as an example since they love to "Gimp" products, for a long time they would not sell the Cayman with LSD because it would be better then the 911 at a lower price. Apple and Porsche have a lot in common.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
I'm still plenty happy with my iPad 3. The performance gains of the iPad 4 aren't of any use to me. I don't use apps where it would matter. It would be lame if iOS updates in the near future limited features, but since the newly-released mini is essentially the same cpu (minus the graphics to run the retina screen) I don't see Apple making the 3 and thus the mini obsolete anytime soon.

I'd have to handle the mini to know if I prefer that form factor before I say that's what I want for a full-size iPad. I've been using my iPad out of the case recently and I think the tapered edge is very comfortable for holding. With a lighter device like the mini, the flat sides are probably fine.

I'm just happy to have a really cool and slick devices even if they aren't the latest gen. Specs were more important to me when my iPhone 3G became virtually unusable (the camera would crash!) but now that I have a 4S and iPad 3, I think the technology is at a point where I don't need to lust after gains. Even with a 2X speed increase, it wouldn't increase my enjoyment of the device by 100%. I'm hoping that as minis get picked up by schools and students, they'll rekindle (no pun intended) a love for reading (my favorite use of the iPad/iPhone) in younger generations.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Most of the weight is tied to the battery, which is relatively large to provide 10 hours of battery life with the Retina display. The Sharp IGZO screens are more power efficient, but use of that technology alone is not sufficient to reduce the battery size by the amount necessary to produce a thinner device with an iPad Mini-like bezel. Apple also needs more power efficient components, and that is not something Apple will have until Broadcom, Qualcomm, and other component suppliers also transition to improved manufacturing processes in late 2013 and early 2014.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.