Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
IOQuake 3 is an open source Quake III game engine. Awhile ago, I ported the latest version to OpenBSD and got it added to the official OpenBSD ports tree. Now with the power of Panther SDL2 I have restored Mac OS X 10.3.9/10.4.x compatibility to the latest version of IOQuake3. Previously, Mac OS X 10.5 and above was required.

Anyone up for a game? Have this maxed out on the Panther Mac mini G4, sounds like a jet engine🤣. Actually got 2nd with 80+ kills in a railgun only server yesterday so not too bad...
Homepage
MacintoshGarden
GitHub
Pull Request (trying to get this into the official IOQuake3)
1623882175436.png

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
IOQuake 3 is an open source Quake III game engine. Awhile ago, I ported the latest version to OpenBSD and got it added to the official OpenBSD ports tree. Now with the power of Panther SDL2 I have restored Mac OS X 10.3.9/10.4.x compatibility to the latest version of IOQuake3. Previously, Mac OS X 10.5 and above was required.

Anyone up for a game? Have this maxed out on the Panther Mac mini G4, sounds like a jet engine🤣. Actually got 2nd with 80+ kills in a railgun only server yesterday so not too bad...
Homepage
MacintoshGarden
GitHub
Pull Request (trying to get this into the official IOQuake3)
View attachment 1794206
I'm up to play for a bit. Are you available?

Reactions: alex_free

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
Holy cow, this game requires a ton of skill. The other guy in the server completely pooped on us! Gotta go for now, but that was fun :cool:
Yea that guy “B S” is a quake III god. That was a lot of fun I played a few more matches some more people joined. We will have to do it again!

Reactions: sparty411

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
You are making me want to get this in my MBP. Would be delightful to use iPad w Magic Keyboard and Mouse.

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
The guy who started the IOQuake3 fork has banned me from contributing to ioquake3 because I disliked this issue.

I disliked this because renaming "Master server list" to "main server list" is not fighting systemic racism in any capacity.

Discussion on his issue thread results in an immedite ban on contributing to ioq3 and an "admittence to being racist". I disliked his issue and got banned. He won't hear anyone out as everyone is racist who even questions his absolute truth. Read his issue, it is an insane mindset. I literally just thumbs-down'd it and didn't even comment anything.

There were 41 pull requests and 75 other issues open that are more important then this. He didn't even bother to fight the power with sed himself, he wants someone else to do it.

Now there are 40 open pull requests as mine will not be merged.

I will continue to update my fork (it is still acually not conflicting with any code changes since change is slow in ioq3). I will be adding Intel support as well. But a few things:
- Calling somone racist because you are incapable of debate is not ok.
- I am not racist and do not condone actual racism.
- I actually don't care if you use main or master. It is his fork of ID Quake 3 after all. I do not like bringing any amount of politics into coding and just think this is all pointless.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@alex_free Hmmm ...

This individual appears to be suffering from a mild form of psychosis. I recommend backing away slowly while avoiding direct eye contact, if at all possible.

Once a safe distance has been established, it is then advised to procure a more mentally stable group of people to convene with release the Florida Man in self-defense. :)

Florida-man-head-bangs-to-Slayers-Raining-Blood-during-Hurricane-Matthew.jpg

BlushingAgileKoala-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

ahurst

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2021
@alex_free Hmmm ...

This individual appears to be suffering from a mild form of psychosis. I recommend backing away slowly while avoiding direct eye contact, if at all possible.
I think it’s a fairly human response to decades of increasing political powerlessness: if you’re pretty well shut out of all avenues of *materially* affecting politics (like most of us are), all you’ve got left is the realm of aesthetics so that’s what you sink all your energy and focus into, convincing yourself it’s a meaningful substitute.

Actual political organizing is hard, time-consuming, and rife with setbacks. If there’s no larger movement that’s built anywhere near enough power to be a threat to police unions (or qualified immunity, or the offloading of surplus army equipment to police departments to be used against civilians), you either have to a) grapple with that powerlessness, or b) convince yourself that aesthetic culture war stuff *is* doing politics and not just an easy substitute for it. For most people (including myself, it’s hard to avoid!), option B is seductively easy. Just change the name of a git branch, that’s the same thing as helping organize a tenant’s Union, or participating in a tail-light drive to reduce opportunities for police to pull people over!

Anyway, sorry to hear that it got in the way of IOQuake development.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.