Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
"64GB iPhone and 128GB iPod Touch Possible in 1st Quarter 2010?"

If chips exist...possible. Because of initial price and known refresh cycles of iPhone and iPod touch...not probable in 1st quarter.

Agreed. I don't think we'll see the increased space until the June/July iPhone update.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I hope Apple isn't rolling out new iPhone yet :eek:

Just bought one couple of weeks ago. Weren't the 32GB chips released around the same time this year (Q1)?

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
I think it's very clear that once iPod touch capacities rival the iPod classic, the Classic will get the axe. I'm thankful, however, that I have a 160 GB Classic, since I'm pushing around 120 GB of music (a lot of ALAC stuff on there).

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Why do you people think this will kill the classic?

the iPod touch is $399-499. the classic is $249 and will probably drop to 199 next fall and may even see a storage bump. All you people saying we don't need 128 GB or 256 GB of storage, please quit thinking only of yourselves. I have a 500 GB WD passport HDD that has 150 GB of music and 230 GB of video. I would love to have an ipod I could put all that on. iPods are no longer music players, they are entertainment machines.

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
An 64GB LTE version would be nice, but somhow I doubt apple will release it until LTE is widely adopted outside Sweden/Norway.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't think Apple is going to retire the iPod Classic. I don't want them to (even though I have an iPod Touch) because it's the only iPod that still "looks like an iPod". I'm pretty sure they'll keep it for a nostalgia factor. (Maybe they'll put flash memory into it).

first, it's not the only iPod that looks like the original - the nano retains the same basic form factor, albeit with different proportions. Second, apple is a business - they aren't going to keep a product around for nostalgia.

IMO the classic has seen its last update.

rjtyork

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Here's what I think:

iPod classic will only be around for 2 more years, as flash memory is now getting to be easier than hard drives to produce, and it's starting to catch up with how many gigs can be stored per cubic cm. Once the storage amount per cubic cm with flash is bigger than the storage amount per cubic cm on hard drives, the iPod classic will become obsolete. At the current rate, (doubling every year) that will take 2 more years to accomplish.

Also, I seriously doubt we will see iPhones and iPod Touches this 1st quarter, as prices will be high at first, and iPhones are usually updated in June (or July?) and iPods are updated in September. I think very seriously that people who buy iPhones any more than a month after their release date is a little crazy. I've MADE money the last 2 iPhone upgrades. I just watch these boards and sell my iPhone a couple days before the new iPhone comes out for $600. I pay $300 for my new iPhone, I buy out my contract, and then I put $170 in my pocket. :)Why don't all of you do that? We're obviously the smarter people! We should be taking advantage of that! Lol

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
128gb iPod Touch? Yes plx! That would be most tremendous and I would finally be able to drop my 80gb Classic as my main iPod (even though I don't like touchscreen controls for MP3 playback that much).

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
they'll keep [the iPod Classic] for a nostalgia factor.

Jobs despises nostalgia. He got rid of (or refuses to create) an "Apple Museum" in the company because he wants to cut all ties to the past. If they don't make it any more, it failed for some reason and should be forgotten ASAP - and vice versa.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
128 gb ipod touch is a ridiculously crazy amount

At present it does seem that way. I had a hard time trying to decide between the 32GB and the 64GB iPT, and settled on the 32GB due to that fact that the prices of NAND will drop in a years time or so. And my present requirements did not even require 32GB more in the line of 16GB.

With the growing amount of HD media and other local and cloud storage it makes me believe that the 64-128GB might be a sweet spot for mobile computing.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
I don't think Apple is going to retire the iPod Classic. I don't want them to (even though I have an iPod Touch) because it's the only iPod that still "looks like an iPod".

The Nano also looks like a "an iPod" and won't go that soon. Time to go for the Classic.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Jobs despises nostalgia. He got rid of (or refuses to create) an "Apple Museum" in the company because he wants to cut all ties to the past. If they don't make it any more, it failed for some reason and should be forgotten ASAP - and vice versa.

Jobs and Co mentioned that the iPod Nano was the original concept for the iPod Classic however due to hardware and technical limits they released the iPod Classic as is and chose to wait till the rest caught up for they vision to be fulfilled.

Comments such as these lead me to believe that the iPod Classic days are very limited since :apple: is trying to focus its efforts on iPhone OS X and the whole touch experience in a small package. iPod Shuffle and Nano are safe for now. Classic in on the cutting block. :p

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
The iPhone 3GS is the last model of that particular design. The new iPhone will be a new design, in all likelihood a smaller case.

Thinner, yes. Noticeably smaller in other ways, no. The form factor is established. Most competing phones aren't smaller. Actually, new phones tend to have a much bigger screen + higher resolution. It's more likely that Apple will keep the form factor and will eventually enlarge the screen as well.

The current x86 architecture does not provide a lot of bang for the buck, so Apple's margins on the AppleTV are unusually low.

Atom + Ion provide more than enough bang for a new AppleTV, and the buck is right, too. It would be a very good platform that is already available and wouldn't require software changes. Switching to a PA Semi design would mean they'd have to throw away the current Apple TV OS. I don't see the benefit. Power consumption is not the issue here.

LeoNobilis

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2006
The Netherlands
Fed up with snail-like enhancement rate!

Good! However, I didn't expect less!

I insist on an iPhone with 128 GB storage (and at least 512 MB DRAM), 5" screen (VGA resolution or more), a processor at least twice as powerful as that of the 3Gs, at least three times the battery life of the current iPhones; 4G along with 3G; built-in radio tuner and a greater range of firmware properties (among other things with proper multi-tasking support; on-the-fly access to 3G and WiFi on/off switches; an optional ShapeWriter input (system-wide implementation); "Find in page" in Safari; auto-correction that always works if activated - not then does, then doesn't; Armenian language support!)! And all of that not in 2012, but this year, ideally spring, not summer!

...and not to forget: please, Apple, liberate the iPhones from carrier exclusivity! Both in Europe & US!

And - Apple - haste to distribute the better of "US-only" applications beyond US AppStore!

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
sounds like good timing for the iPhone HD next summer ;)

Why would Apple (or anyone) relaase an HD handheld device on something like the iPhone or iPod?

1)HD movies are huge space eaters...25GB for a typical movie. So you can hold maybe 5 movies on a 128GB device. Even if you applied some kind of compression to an HD movie, you'd lower it to maybe 10GB per movie (and what are you giving up?)

2)Viewing HD content on a 4-5" screen is pointless. DVD quality is fine and likely you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between lossless dvd content and lossless HD content on a small screen. And you're really going to sit there for 1hour 44 mins watching a movie? You could push it out to a tv but see point #1 and upcoming point #3.

3)Since HD movies are about 25GB, transferring them from your computer to your iPhone is going to take awhile. 40-90 mins. So if you're planning on using the iPhone/iPod as a device where you're always pushing a movie onto it every day/week, have fun waiting. Maybe USB 3.0 will be here soon but likely not mainstream till 2012.

4)HD movies offer more than just visual excellence...also audio excellence including surround sound...attempting to hear the audio enhancement on headphones (any headphones) is useless.

5)Handheld device screen resolutions are far inferior to dvd...let alone HD. Current iPods and iPhones are at 480x320 if my memory is correct. HD content should be viewed at at least 1600x1200.

So...I don't see any HD handheld devices in the next 2-3 years given my main 4 points above. If the device is going to be a jukebox, we'll need far larger storage capacities (1TB and up). If the device is to be viewed by the user, we'll need a much larger screen (and resolution) than 4" to actually enjoy the content not to mention a way to position the unit so you don't have to hold it for the entire time.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
the iPod touch is $399-499. the classic is $249 and will probably drop to 199 next fall and may even see a storage bump.

Where can you buy a touch for 499? It's never more expensive than 399. (we're talking USD, right?) And it's infinitely better than a classic.

The only area where the classic is still better, besides price/GB, is battery power. The touch however can't exactly be called bad with 20 hours of audio.

I don't see a price cut for the classic coming. Why would that be? When was the last price cut? Ages ago!

All you people saying we don't need 128 GB or 256 GB of storage, please quit thinking only of yourselves. I have a 500 GB WD passport HDD that has 150 GB of music and 230 GB of video. I would love to have an ipod I could put all that on. iPods are no longer music players, they are entertainment machines.

You are a small minority. Big businesses don't work by catering to all niches. And, how exactly do you want to manage 500GB of data with a scroll wheel?

Btw, calling an iPod classic an "entertainment machine" is a bit bold with a large-capacity touch around as a possible replacement.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Finally. 64GB is a magic number for me. That's about where my media library fits.

Would this finally spell the end of the Classic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.