Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
A 64gb iPhone would be excellent.. currently I have an 8gb but its not even worth me upgrading to the 32gb because that still wouldn't hold all my music.

Which is where Apple's Lala acquisition may come in handy.
Who needs GBs of physical storage when all of your data lives in the cloud? ;)

Woot! 101!

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Apple told me no, so I'll return the message to them

An 128 GB iPod Touch will obsolete the iPod Classic. We will probably see and EOL of the iPod Classic in September 2010 the latest. I don't see the point of keeping it any further than that. The target market will move on to the iPod Touch. Price could be an initial issue, but I just don't see Apple refreshing the iPod Classic at the annual iPod event in September.

I purchased my iPod Touch for app purposes. I may put a little music on it, but basically that is what my old iPod is for. Its the older 2 platter 160 GB model. I was ready to replace it with a 2 platter 240 GB model, but that model was never made. Then I may have purchased a new 2 platter 320 GB model, but again it was not made. Reasons being too small of sales & the 2 platter model was too thick to be small & pretty. I actually still think that my 2 platter model is rather thin. But Apple has taught me not to expect to be able to put my whole music library on one iPod anymore. Thus I rarely use my iPod other than when on a multi-day camping trip. So Apple has killed my iPod for music spirit.

To date my 64 GB iPod has no music on it. I thought that a camera would go very well with a 128 GB model. But no music, movies are too small. That only leaves still pictures & programs & their data.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
More people than you think

Which is where Apple's Lala acquisition may come in handy.
Who needs GBs of physical storage when all of your data lives in the cloud? ;)

Woot! 101!

People that live in the mountains, those that are at a place with no internet connections, me & many others like me. We prefer to own & not to stream. We use our SmartPhone & home internet for doing a given task only one time.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^ I'd really hate to stream my music. From my own computer, with an adequate connection maybe. But I'd rather keep my files local thanks, quicker access, always accessible etc.

128 gigs is a joke. a average computer is 150 which means you already used your computer memory up just for an ipod/phone. what a wast

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. A flash-based iPod is soon to catch up with the "standard" (I'd like a link to prove this plx) home computer HDD. At least all the people I know have iTunes (or similar) libraries between 5-100gb of music and a further 50+gb for movies. A 128gb Touch would be appreciated. You don't even have to leave this thread to see that.

I still couldn't hold my entire library on it but at least I could hold my music, photos and some video.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Too expensive...

Who would buy an iPod Touch that would be three times as much as the basic model? In terms of iPhone, I suppose, there always be a few company purchases and wealthy people who don't mind paying an excessive premium. But most of us is not in that position and I don't think that these top models ever exceeded the 5 or 10% share within the range.

So far, Apple kept the iPod Touch's features sub-iPhone, if you like. It will be interesting to see, whether they differentiate in the future. They tried to save the Nano with the video camera - will they do the same to the Touch with a groundbreaking technology, called FM radio?

But how about this - Apple keeps the expensive 64 and 128 GB options out of the iPhones and Touchs and puts a decent camera with video recording capabilities on them? Oh, and decent battery life, please.

Ademius

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
I purchased my iPod Touch for app purposes. I may put a little music on it, but basically that is what my old iPod is for. Its the older 2 platter 160 GB model. I was ready to replace it with a 2 platter 240 GB model, but that model was never made. Then I may have purchased a new 2 platter 320 GB model, but again it was not made. Reasons being too small of sales & the 2 platter model was too thick to be small & pretty. I actually still think that my 2 platter model is rather thin. But Apple has taught me not to expect to be able to put my whole music library on one iPod anymore. Thus I rarely use my iPod other than when on a multi-day camping trip. So Apple has killed my iPod for music spirit.

To date my 64 GB iPod has no music on it. I thought that a camera would go very well with a 128 GB model. But no music, movies are too small. That only leaves still pictures & programs & their data.

The nische market for people wanting more storage than 120 GB was probably too narrow to be satisfyingly profitable.

For me, it's all about convenience over mass storage. I would rather keep a more limited capacity iPhone than lugging around both a phone and a Mp3-player. Having said that, my iPhone has become too limited for my needs, and I'm looking to upgrade it next summer. I will most probably buy the 64 GB model 2010 iPhone if it's available.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Q1/2010 is just right for supporting the new LTE network in Scandinavia. But I guess Apple will tell us that HSDPA 7.2 is "the new big thing".... :rolleyes:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39936974,00.htm

"The world's first commercial LTE mobile broadband services went live in the centres of Oslo and Stockholm on Monday, through the Scandinavian operator TeliaSonera.

Offering theoretical maximum speeds of 100Mbps and real-world speeds of 20-80Mbps, the services are about 10 times faster than predecessor HSDPA. As of Tuesday, people in Norway and Sweden will be able to buy a mobile dongle that supports the long-term evolution (LTE) of 3G.

"We are very proud to be the first operator in the world to offer our customers 4G services," TeliaSonera mobility chief Kenneth Karlberg said in a statement on Monday. "The use of mobile broadband in the Nordic countries is exploding, and customers need higher speeds and capacity. This is why we launch 4G services in both Stockholm and Oslo."

At launch, TeliaSonera's LTE services cover around 400,000 people in the centres of Stockholm and Oslo. However, the operator said it is adding base stations every day. It will first introduce the services in the largest cities in Sweden and Norway, followed by sites in Finland, where it recently received an LTE licence. TeleSonera said it hopes to get the licence for a Danish rollout early in 2010."

Jeff321

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
Nice. The trend of it doubling every year could continue. I have a 16 GB and it's not enough. 64 GB would definitely fit my entire library.

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
i like a 128gb iPhone, with a better battery!

Yep better battery indeed. The reason I got my 32 Gig iPhone is so that I won't have a separate mp3 player and cellphone. Now I have an iPhone, the battery is so short that I have no choice but to buy and lug with me an external battery pack with defeats the purpose why I got an iPhone in the first place.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
the best case scenario is a revised thinner classic w/ a slightly bigger screen but no wifi or apps. just music , videos etc. the new classic will look like the new nano w/ the curves but just a bit bigger on width/length and it will sport flash memory. the thinness will be more or less the same. there will also be new ipod touch refreshes next yr. they iPTs might also get a face-lift.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Pay no attention to the people who say the classic is going to be discontinued. They all said the same thing last year and Apple upgraded the classic. They all say the nobody buys the classic, which can be translated to they don't buy a classic. They have no idea what the sales of the classic are like because Apple does not give those numbers.

There will be a classic until you can get a Touch at the same price point with the same approximate capacity. Or until it is not profitable for Apple to produce them. That is all. Not because you think it is obsolete or because you can't fill a 16 GB Touch.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
And you thought your iPhone was SLOW now ... just wait until your processor has to search through 64 GIGS of data to find the file you are looking for. I sure as heck hope the next iPhones have at least double the RAM and double the processor speed of the current iPhone. I mean, it's been what, TWO years since the first iPhone 3G was launched? There has been A LOT of progress in the PC processor business since then. I should think cell phone processor chips have equally improved.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
128 gigs is a joke. a average computer is 150 which means you already used your computer memory up just for an ipod/phone. what a wast

I'm not sure what "average computer" you're talking about, but my Penryn MBP (built October 2008) came with a 320 GB hard drive. When Apple introduced it, they were replacing a model that came with 250 GB standard. If I remember correctly, the iMac at that point was in the 500 GB range. Sure, the non-pro MB at that point had a smaller HD, but tossing out 150 GB as the storage space of "a average computer" is a little disingenuous.

That being said, the music in my iTunes library currently takes up 380 gigs (with a big chunk of that on an external drive). Granted, some of that is in Apple Lossless format, and a lot of it is different artists playing the same music (four different versions of the Beethoven symphonies, six different versions of the Brahms clarinet sonatas, etc.), but I still have to do some serious trimming to make sure I'm not wasting a kilobyte on my 64 GB touch and still getting everything I want/need on there. And that's before you even take videos into account. I would absolutely LOVE a 128 GB (or bigger) touch, since I could fit more and/or higher quality files on there. I recognize that I'm in a somewhat unusual situation (music major), but please do realize that everyone has different needs, and you might be surprised at how many people could easily fill a 128 GB touch many times over :)

Yup...my 160GB classic is practically filled...only with music...no videos. 20,000+ songs encoded at 192k.

Ultimately I would like to store lossless on an iPod...but considering an average WAV file is about 7 times larger than a 192k MP3 file, I would need almost 1 Terabyte...or looking at it the other way, my 160GB could hold 7x less music stored as WAV.

You might want to give Apple Lossless a try...it usually produces files about half the size of WAV or AIFF. Just make sure you re-rip from the original CDs rather than converting your 192k files ;)

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
I hope they don't scrap the Classic.. but if they do I am gonna use my "obsolete" 160 on and on... I think there is something big and simple in the clickwheel, and find it easier with huge libraries, that scrolling endlessly on touch... But. the current classic won't be scrapped until there is 128plus iphone, because many users have both, so why carry touch and iphone? however after these capacities are reach, I would love an iPod for audiophiles, the size saved by replacing hard drive with flash could accommodate a digital optical out! bigger battery and some nicer DAC!! they would please lots of people...

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Tha Professor said:
I hope they don't scrap the Classic.. but if they do I am gonna use my "obsolete" 160 on and on... I think there is something big and simple in the clickwheel, and find it easier with huge libraries, that scrolling endlessly on touch... But. the current classic won't be scrapped until there is 128plus iphone, because many users have both, so why carry touch and iphone? however after these capacities are reach, I would love an iPod for audiophiles, the size saved by replacing hard drive with flash could accommodate a digital optical out! bigger battery and some nicer DAC!! they would please lots of people...

I'd buy it, but I don't see it happening. iirc, a company called Wine will mod a 5th gen iPod to "audiophile" standards, whatever they are.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Who needs GBs of physical storage when all of your data lives in the cloud?
Let's not forget those of us who don't find the sound quality of streaming media to be adequate. It's okay, but if you really care about sound quality, streaming is NOT going to satisfy you. And before you say it, YES, of course, MOST people are fine with streaming sound quality, but there is a niche (bigger than you think) that really does care about sound quality. And don't forget movies - streamed movies just does not really seem all that feasible in the mobile world right now.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Pay no attention to the people who say the classic is going to be discontinued. They all said the same thing last year and Apple upgraded the classic. They all say the nobody buys the classic, which can be translated to they don't buy a classic. They have no idea what the sales of the classic are like because Apple does not give those numbers.

There will be a classic until you can get a Touch at the same price point with the same approximate capacity. Or until it is not profitable for Apple to produce them. That is all. Not because you think it is obsolete or because you can't fill a 16 GB Touch.

I don't remember many people thinking the classic was going to die this year. Many knew that a 160 GB single-platter drive would be coming out and we knew the biggest the iPod touch was going to get was 64 GBs. Large, but nowhere near 160GBs and not large enough for a fairly sizeable proportion of the market.

However, come summer 2010, it's likely we'll have a 128 GB iPod touch priced at ~$400. 128 GBs is the tipping point for many people. Even if Toshiba comes forward with a 200 GB single-platter drive going from 160 -> 200 GBs would only impress a miniscule section of the market.

If you look at Amazon's sales, you can see the top 9 iPods are 32 GBs and less, the classic sits at number 10. With larger nanos and touches coming next year, it's hard to see the classic being able to make enough room for itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.