Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by chibianh
anyone hear about the heat issue? or anything about airport reception? I'm just curious... either way, mine is on the way!! yay!!

Also, mcrain, i'm wondering if YOU are going to buy this beast?

I'm moving to Houston at the end of May, so I'm holding on to my bank account until I've paid for any unexpected costs (utility deposits, etc) that I haven't budgeted for, and then, if I have enough I'll buy or, if I don't I'll have to wait a little while to save up. But, yes, I want one badly.

(God, i hope the G5 MWNY rumors don't start flying too soon or I'll be in a pickle)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by AlphaTech
I wonder... if a MA resident bought a computer while visiting in CA, and paid sales tax in CA... Could they get the difference back after getting back to MA??? MA has a 5% sales tax.

You can usually get a credit on your state's income taxes at the end of the year for taxes paid to other states in excess of your state's rate, however, that's usually a miniscule number and not worth documenting.

On the flip side, if you bought in MA with its 5% rate and live in Cali, when you get home, you are responsible for reporting the purchase and paying the difference in use taxes.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: prices

Originally posted by mcrain
ABSOLUTELY 100% INCORRECT!!!

If you buy from another state, and the vendor does not have nexus with your state, you will owe use tax to your home state (assuming your state collects sales tax). You are responsible to report the items purchased for which sales tax was not collected by the vendor.

If you do not do so, and get caught for whatever reason (note: there are often bounties for people turning in tax cheats), you will then owe the tax plus penalties and interest. Oh, and if you protest, don't even think that I, or anyone like me, will give you a break.

That's a pretty ridiculous situation. I've never heard of anything like it in all my purchases on the web. If this is actually the law (do you have a section number to back it up?) why aren't online vendors required to inform you of it at the time of purchase?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: prices

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
That's a pretty ridiculous situation. I've never heard of anything like it in all my purchases on the web. If this is actually the law (do you have a section number to back it up?) why aren't online vendors required to inform you of it at the time of purchase?
I'm not sure about on-line purchases, but if you physically go to another state (with no sales tax) to purchase something, you are required to pay the tax to the state you live in. This is the case in most states. If you look at some of the earlier posts (pages 2 and 3), you'll see that this applies to NJ (my state) and Mass (AlphaTech's state). It's called a Use Tax.

Once again, I don't know if it applies to on-line and mail-order purchases. To my knowledge, I think George W Bush vetoed that down so that it doesn't apply. But my memory is fuzzy.

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Congress pretty thoroughly killed off the Internet/mail-order tax before Dubya ever even got a chance to look at it. Don't worry, it will come up again. Sooner or later the revenue hit on state governments -- and the competition to storefront retailers big and small -- is going to bring the states and the US Chamber of Commerce and the National Federation of Independent Business down so hard on Congress that they'll be forced to require mail order retailers to collect tax. Or else small business and retailers are going to split off from big ones politically, and that would not be in the Republican party's interest.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: prices

Originally posted by ftaok
I'm not sure about on-line purchases, but if you physically go to another state (with no sales tax) to purchase something, you are required to pay the tax to the state you live in. This is the case in most states. If you look at some of the earlier posts (pages 2 and 3), you'll see that this applies to NJ (my state) and Mass (AlphaTech's state). It's called a Use Tax.

Once again, I don't know if it applies to on-line and mail-order purchases. To my knowledge, I think George W Bush vetoed that down so that it doesn't apply. But my memory is fuzzy.

The internet tax required all internet vendors to collect sales taxes for the 50 states and then remit that tax to the various states where products were purchased.

Use taxes are taxes on your privilege of using a product in the state in which you live.

That tax is not required to be collected by companies without nexus to your state, and the person required to pay it is the consumer. You.

The use tax applies to anything you buy and then use in your state, even if you buy it through the internet.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Sad commment on the above URL on video editing!

I didnt see any specs on the machines on this article.

But any time I hear the word Compaq, I also hear the word crap echo in the distance!
If see that the G4 is behind the crap then I am very unhappy.

Yet, there is a 7 percent difference tween machines the author stated.
So, if these are 2ghz pentiums vs a 500 or 800 g4, then this is all good news , isnt it!>?

Also , I wanna know if Mcrain is going to buy this unit, cause if he is , then so am I! So there. If its the SOI chip that is. I already own a stove!

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by dblissmn
Congress pretty thoroughly killed off the Internet/mail-order tax before Dubya ever even got a chance to look at it. Don't worry, it will come up again. Sooner or later the revenue hit on state governments -- and the competition to storefront retailers big and small -- is going to bring the states and the US Chamber of Commerce and the National Federation of Independent Business down so hard on Congress that they'll be forced to require mail order retailers to collect tax. Or else small business and retailers are going to split off from big ones politically, and that would not be in the Republican party's interest.

Actually, the internet tax bill or whatever it was called will probably never be needed. Most states are aggressively pursuing nexus actions with internet/brick and morter companies forcing them to collect sales taxes. In addition, state's are trying very hard to find a definition of nexus that will hit internet companies without being in violation of various SC opinions.

Finally, there is an effort to come up with a nationwide sales tax agreement between all the states that would require all states to require all vendors to always collect sales taxes, and then through agreements between the states, the appropriate amounts of revenue would be remitted.

So, in sum, if any of the actions by the States work to get nexus or sales tax collection and reporting, then the internet tax thing won't be necessary (unless it is recast as a new tax in addition to the sales/use tax)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: prices

The internet tax required all internet vendors to collect sales taxes for the 50 states and then remit that tax to the various states where products were purchased.

Use taxes are taxes on your privilege of using a product in the state in which you live.

That tax is not required to be collected by companies without nexus to your state, and the person required to pay it is the consumer. You.

The use tax applies to anything you buy and then use in your state, even if you buy it through the internet.
mcrain,

So what you're saying is that by requiring the on-line vendor to collect Sales Tax for every state, the end result would be that the buyer's state would get the tax that they're supposed to. The only change would be that the vendor would pay it rather than the buyer.

I guess the states really want their money and the advent of the Internet allows them an opportunity to do so. Can't blame 'em.

Thanks for adding more good info to this side discussion.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
developer connection

You can also get extremely detailed information, as well as how to fix issues (hardware and software) if you have access to the AppleCare Service Source. Granted, the developer connection doesn't cost anything to get access to, and the service source does.

Personally, I have access to both items, and use them daily to check on items, or look up issues/fixes.

beech

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2002
US VAT

There is not VAT in the US. Sales tax works differently - it is entirely dependent on the value of the goods being sold, while the VAT is dependent on how much "value" was added by the last step in the supply chain.

"Use Tax" is a poor substitute for sales tax. It was thought up by bitter states that border states with lower sales taxes, and is of dubious Constitutional merit. Of course, even a few hundred bucks rarely merits a trip to the Supremes.

By the way, the sales tax in Seattle (including municipal taxes and state taxes) is well over 9%. But- no income tax.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
technically correct

but has we all know, laws are only as viable as their enforcement.

the letter of the law is open to interpretation ( i'm no lawyer but i've supported a few....). if, how and to what extent a law is enforced is really the actual definition of the law in real-world terms. i'm not saying the law isn't real unless you get caught. states aren't enforcing it because they doubt its viabilty. there has been talk in congress of taxing internet sales but the lobbyists have held it off for a while.

someday we may see a flat % tax on internet sales-but i bet it'll go to the federal govt first( they gotta make up the SS deficit somehow-and we know its " all them yuggins on computers" who are spending the bucks.)

personally, i buy most of my equipment in state because CA gives a tax break to the entertainment industry on eqp purchases. its not tax free, but i get good enough deals where its a wash, price wise. not to mention, if the gear fails i have someplace to take it back to---that day. no R/A's, shipping, and replacement limbo. thats worth 5% to me. i also have a good relationship with a salesman who can find me gear when everyone else is out-or who can call me when something cool comes out. something to think about if you're a gear junkie.

i'm not lawyer bashing( i had planned to get a JD...) or anti-law( as anyone who saw the Morpheous flame-war carnage will attest..)-i'm just stating that some laws are not logical, viable or worthwhile to enforce... and to interpret that all i need are guns, lawyers and money:D

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: US VAT

Originally posted by beech
There is not VAT in the US. Sales tax works differently - it is entirely dependent on the value of the goods being sold, while the VAT is dependent on how much "value" was added by the last step in the supply chain.
How does one determine the "value" added by the last step? Is it the mark-up by the vendor from his supplier? Seems to me like it would be pretty easy for a vendor to get his supply from his own distributor and thus add very little "value".

But I'm sure they've thought of this and put in some other language preventing this. Those sneaky law-makers are always one step ahead (most of the time).

NOTE - no offense intended to the law-makers that may or may not frequent this board.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Use tax in TX

This "Use Tax" is news to me, I find it hard to believe that it is true. However, I did some quick poking around and found this URL: http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pub/plsql/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=34&pt=1&ch=3&rl=346

Sure enough, it sounds like we Texans are supposed to be reporting something to and paying some kind of "Use Tax" to the state.

I'm not much of a laywer and am unsure, though, if this applies only to businesses or also to individuals. Any legal type's out there who can make English out of that web page?

I find it hard to beleive that they expect us to pay this thing since I had to really search to find out it even exists! (We have no income tax here; otherwise I would have expected to find such a tax mention on those forms.)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: prices

Originally posted by ftaok

I've never heard of a "Use tax" and never seen an entry for it on my tax forms...I don't think that all the people in Northern California who go up to Oregon to buy things at 0% tax do either.

mcrain, I'm still waiting on a section number/bill/anykind of proof to back up your claim.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

I've never heard of a "Use tax" and never seen an entry for it on my tax forms...I don't think that all the people in Northern California who go up to Oregon to buy things at 0% tax do either.

mcrain, I'm still waiting on a section number/bill/anykind of proof to back up your claim.
It's probably not in the Income Tax Return forms. There's probably a seperate form that you could use. They have them in Mass and in NJ for sure. California is probably no different.

Try calling your state's Department of Revenue and asking them. They'll know.

BTW, just cause you've never heard of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Boy oh boy... does the Tax thing in the US sound screwy!!

In the UK we pay VAT at the extortionate rate of 17.5% any pretty much anything, nless you are either A: company or B: Self employed...... then you claim it back.....

Well I let my accountant sort ou my Tax........ I'm crap with figures..... unless they're on the ladies of course!! ;)

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: prices

The reason you haven't heard of this before is probably because every time you ever ordered anything over the internet or mail order, you broke the law.

As for this being a "claim" that I have to substantiate, first, I'm a tax lawyer. This is what I do.

Second, every state sends out their version of the 1040, and in the packet of materials should be a use tax return (you've probably been throwing yours away). That return is what you file every year to remit use taxes on purchases.

Still don't believe me. Here's the Illinois form. Oh, and don't feel so bad about being a tax criminal. Lots of people are still unaware of this tax, but we're working on that.

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/taxforms/Sales/st44.pdf

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: prices

The reason you haven't heard of this before is probably because every time you ever ordered anything over the internet or mail order, you broke the law.

As for this being a "claim" that I have to substantiate, first, I'm a tax lawyer. This is what I do.

Second, every state sends out their version of the 1040, and in the packet of materials should be a use tax return (you've probably been throwing yours away). That return is what you file every year to remit use taxes on purchases.

Still don't believe me. Here's the Illinois form. Oh, and don't feel so bad about being a tax criminal. Lots of people are still unaware of this tax, but we're working on that.

http://www.revenue.state.il.us/taxforms/Sales/st44.pdf

So, I'm a criminal because the tax laws are unclear, unavailable (since you can't seem to find a document to back up what you say) and online vendors don't inform you of your responsibility to report out of state purchases on your taxes? I'm a criminal because you guys don't do your job and educate people? That's pretty f*cked up!

I haven't been mailed tax forms for the past two years, and have had to pick them up from the library, etc.

I'm a computer tech, so if I told you that the new PowerBook runs at 1GHz you'd believe me because "that's what I do". Please. Give me something that proves your point and I'll back off.

Matthé

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2001
my god, what have I started!

I'm sorry to say: I'm the who brought up the whole tax thing
had no idea how complex it is, no wonder no-one pays VAT/Use tax/whatever

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: prices

So, I'm a criminal because the tax laws are unclear, unavailable (since you can't seem to find a document to back up what you say) and online vendors don't inform you of your responsibility to report out of state purchases on your taxes? I'm a criminal because you guys don't do your job and educate people? That's pretty f*cked up!

I haven't been mailed tax forms for the past two years, and have had to pick them up from the library, etc.

I'm a computer tech, so if I told you that the new PowerBook runs at 1GHz you'd believe me because "that's what I do". Please. Give me something that proves your point and I'll back off.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse for violating the law. Try that defense out the next time you try to get out of an obscure traffic ticket.

The various Departments of Revenue in the state education the citizens of their states through releasing publications, printing readiliy available forms, having telephone assistance lines, etc...

On top of that, as a taxpayer, you are obligated to pay the taxes you owe.

If your point is that the ST-44 Use tax return doesn't prove that a use tax is owed in situations where no sales tax was collected, then try reading 35 ILCS 105/3 as an example of one state's use tax.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Obviously, San Diego isn't in Illinois, so those references are of little use to you, but you can always call:

For additional information, contact the
Board’s Consumer Use Tax Section at P.O.
Box 942879, Sacramento, CA 94279-0037,
telephone number (916) 445-9524 or you
may call our Information Center at 1-800-
400-7115.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.