Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Is there any space limit for the 2008 mac pro, in terms of hard drive space. I might get 3, 2TB internal Hard drives. Are the SATA ports inside the mac pro limited to a certain amount?

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
just to check before I buy these drives, its SATA 3.0Gb/s not the slower speed right?

Yes, its 3.0GB/s but its backwards compatible with the slower speeds. You can put 4 2TB drives into the four drive bays and if you want, you can also fit another one in the space for a second optical drive and if you're feeling really sadistic, you can remove the optical drive and put another one in for a total of 12TB. :eek:

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
Yes, its 3.0GB/s but its backwards compatible with the slower speeds. You can put 4 2TB drives into the four drive bays and if you want, you can also fit another one in the space for a second optical drive and if you're feeling really sadistic, you can remove the optical drive and put another one in for a total of 12TB. :eek:

maybe I should just cut a hole in the side, and get an adapter and put 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 TB of hard drive space in.

kboller07

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2007
There is no set tb limit. I used maxupgrades parts to put in 2 extra drives instead of a 2nd optical drive in my early 2008 mac pro. It was pretty easy to run wires from the 2 free sata ports up to the optical drive space.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
You have two more sata ports available on the board. Macsales.com sells an external sata kit for them, however all it is is sata cables and a piece of metal for 24.99

Always add pci-e cards for more sata ports. With 2TB and larger HD's coming out, you should be fine.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
You know we are "this" close to asking you what you are doing with so much space... lolz

I was going to answer with a four letter word starting with P, and ending with N, but I don't feel like getting banned. And Im not a lier.

I plan on using 1 drive as a scratch disk, 1 for imported clips, and 1 for finished projects. I edit in HD and I film ALOT so i need the space.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
BTW, There is a limit actually but it's huge and I dunno what it is. We're definitely safe for a few years yet. ;)
A single SATA port can handle up to 15 drives with Port Multiplier chips, if that helps. ;)

So for a system using 6 SATA ports, you can get up to 90 drives on it. :eek: Using 2TB disks, you get a max of 180TB. :D Until even larger drives show up. ;)

Would that be enough capacity to tide you over for a few days? :p

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
A single SATA port can handle up to 15 drives with Port Multiplier chips, if that helps. ;)

So for a system using 6 SATA ports, you can get up to 90 drives on it. :eek: Using 2TB disks, you get a max of 180TB. :D Until even larger drives show up. ;)

In another thread you mentioned sleds with multiplayer chips. Do you have a link. Also I thought all that was needed were Y-Cables... It needs circuitry too?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
In another thread you mentioned sleds with multiplier chips. Do you have a link. Also I thought all that was needed were Y-Cables... It needs circuitry too?
It's the Pro Drive, which is just a Port Multiplier chip added to a sled that holds 2 * 2.5" drives. :) But you can use PM enclosures that can operate up to 15 drives. Most I've come across however, operate 5 drives on a single port, and you can find enclosures that operate a pair (10 drives total).

You can use Y cables for power, but not data. :(

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009

um that doesn't seem like enough. I need you 1800000000000000000000000000000000000000x10^100000000000 TB of data or Im not going to be happy! Im trying to download every song, sound, video, thought, idea, picture, and program ever made and ever will be made.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
It's the Pro Drive, which is just a Port Multiplier chip added to a sled that holds 2 * 2.5" drives. :) But you can use PM enclosures that can operate up to 15 drives. Most I've come across however, operate 5 drives on a single port, and you can find enclosures that operate a pair (10 drives total).

You can use Y cables for power, but not data. :(

Thanks man! Yeah I was under the impression that MP SATA was already PM'ed. :p Guess not. But what's the deal with the Max Capacity? It says:
Max Capacity 1TB (2 x 500GB)​

That's for real or just the current state of HDDs at the time of writing? Oh, wait... 2.5"?? Notebook drives? Oh my! :confused: Dang I was hoping they were just hanging an extra desktop HDD off of the sled. Ah, oh-well. :p

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Thanks man! Yeah I was under the impression that MP SATA was already PM'ed. :p Guess not. But what's the deal with the Max Capacity? It says:
Max Capacity 1TB (2 x 500GB)​

That's for real or just the current state of HDDs at the time of writing? Oh, wait... 2.5"?? Notebook drives? Oh my! :confused: Dang I was hoping they were just hanging an extra desktop HDD off of the sled. Ah, oh-well. :p
No problem. :)

As the PM chips (one per sled) would add cost to the board, I tend to think of a little bird... Cheap. Cheap. :D :p

As I understand it, the 2.5" models where due to space constraints. Not quite enough clearance for a pair of 3.5" drives. :(

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
No problem. :)

As the PM chips (one per sled) would add cost to the board, I tend to think of a little bird... Cheap. Cheap. :D :p

Agreed.

As I understand it, the 2.5" models where due to space constraints. Not quite enough clearance for a pair of 3.5" drives. :(

There is tho. For bays 2, 3, and 4 you can have multiple drives. As you hang more than just the intended single drive you start covering up PCIe slots but you only need a disclaimer notice to alert potential buyers to remedy that.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Agreed.

There is tho. For bays 2, 3, and 4 you can have multiple drives. As you hang more than just the intended single drive you start covering up PCIe slots but you only need a disclaimer notice to alert potential buyers to remedy that.
I guess they wanted a part that could operate in all 4 sleds, and may not have wanted to cause the loss of slot 4. Dunno for sure, but oh well.

Perhaps an industrious person will figure out a way to do it. ;) Hint. Hint. :D

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I guess they wanted a part that could operate in all 4 sleds, and may not have wanted to cause the loss of slot 4. Dunno for sure, but oh well.

Perhaps an industrious person will figure out a way to do it. ;) Hint. Hint. :D

:D

I can do it for me. Not sure I'd want to create a product or not tho. I dunno how much demand there would be for it. I imagine not a whole lot. ;)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
:D

I can do it for me. Not sure I'd want to create a product or not tho. I dunno how much demand there would be for it. I imagine not a whole lot. ;)
I wasn't thinking of a product for commercial production. Not as much fun that way. :p Just a good "How To" for those here on MR. :D

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
For sure! It'll be a month or more till I do it but I'll definitely photo-document the process!
:cool: It could certainly help a few members, and possibly those interested in an internal RAID setup (clearance for power+data cables?). :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.