Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
so I found a bug on iOS 9.3.1, could anybody check, if it's still on beta 9.3.2?

The bug: If I slide up Control Center, and activate "Do-Not-Disturb", the moon symbol appears in right corner and if I deactivate it, the moon disappears. but if I activate it a second time, the moon symbol won't appear anymore. I have to activate some other symbol in the menu bar first, and then the moon will appear again

Happens on my iPhone SE, and iPad Air 2.

Addition to my first post :

just deactivate automatic dnd mode and applied manually twice. and yes..same thing happens on 9.3.2 beta 1

but hopefully a 2nd beta or a final release can drop this week. and hopefully it's fixed on that release

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
DND on iOS vs watchOS is a nightmare and an entire different discussion.
Well I'm having two problems with DND with my watch. One where it won't ever shut off. And the other that the icon doesn't appear on the watch screen but when you look at glances it's on. So in a sense it's the same thing I'm seeing on my iPhone where the icon is not showing up.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
What does it mean?
Performance of Security improvements?

One of the things the Kernel can do is manage CPU clock speeds. Let's say the A9 processor is rated that 1.2ghz. This doesn't mean it's always running at 1.2ghz no matter what the device is doing.

You can define things like if the CPU is at 90% usage, step up the clock speed in increments of 100mhz until the CPU is at 75% and then hold that clock speed and scale it back down once the CPU drops under 50%.

You can also define for example that if the cpu usage is under 25% (like when your phone is locked) to use the lowest possible clock speed on the CPU.

This effective controlling of clock speed can improve battery life if done correctly.

It's similar to how modern cars can activate/deactivate Cylinders depending on the car's load in order to conserve fuel.

Apple can also tweak memory management with Kernel changes as well.

Reactions: TL24 and simba4

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
One of the things the Kernel can do is manage CPU clock speeds. Let's say the A9 processor is rated that 1.2ghz. This doesn't mean it's always running at 1.2ghz no matter what the device is doing.

You can define things like if the CPU is at 90% usage, step up the clock speed in increments of 100mhz until the CPU is at 75% and then hold that clock speed and scale it back down once the CPU drops under 50%.

You can also define for example that if the cpu usage is under 25% (like when your phone is locked) to use the lowest possible clock speed on the CPU.

This effective controlling of clock speed can improve battery life if done correctly.

It's similar to how modern cars can activate/deactivate Cylinders depending on the car's load in order to conserve fuel.

Apple can also tweak memory management with Kernel changes as well.
Got it. Thanks for explaining.
Let's hope we see some good improvements in this update

KSRX

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Kiev, Ukraine
Addition to my first post :

just deactivate automatic dnd mode and applied manually twice. and yes..same thing happens on 9.3.2 beta 1

but hopefully a 2nd beta or a final release can drop this week. and hopefully it's fixed on that release
Same with Bluetooth logo on iPod Touch 6Gen

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I would prefer a final next week instead of a beta because then I can get my Apple Watch updated and hopefully the achievement bug is fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
what is the achievement bug on apple watch? don't you get your badges after completing goals?

Correct. Badges are randomly appearing days later or not appearing at all until you unpair and repair. It was originally reported in Beta 1 of 2.2, and was "fixed" in Beta 3 of 2.2, but it still remains for some. Even setting the watch up as new doesn't fix the issue. Its tied to the activity app on the phone, which could be a 9.3.1/9.3.2 beta 1 bug as well. Regardless, its all screwy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
Correct. Badges are randomly appearing days later or not appearing at all until you unpair and repair. It was originally reported in Beta 1 of 2.2, and was "fixed" in Beta 3 of 2.2, but it still remains for some. Even setting the watch up as new doesn't fix the issue. Its tied to the activity app on the phone, which could be a 9.3.1/9.3.2 beta 1 bug as well. Regardless, its all screwy.

weird..didn't see that kind of bug..but i've got another one, when i update an app on my phone, the watch application updates itself automatically but the icon stays grey..just like installed corrupted, but it's working ok. a simple restart fixes it. happened 2 or 3 times.

Knes

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2016
Very bad idea. More and more lags and stuttering (inapp scrolling / system animations). Typical "Cheap Android" behavior. Welcome to iOS9 :(

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
Beta 2 should be today unless there is a public release
Yes I also think they'll release beta 2 today. I think this release will be a full five betas, since it is probably last version of iOS 9 they will want as many bugs squashed for the people that won't be migrating to iOS 10 immediately like me.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Yes I also think they'll release beta 2 today. I think this release will be a full five betas, since it is probably last version of iOS 9 they will want as many bugs squashed for the people that won't be migrating to iOS 10 immediately like me.

There is no way its going to be 5 betas. There are hardly any X.x.x betas, let alone 5.

WaruiKoohii

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2015
Boston
Very bad idea. More and more lags and stuttering (inapp scrolling / system animations). Typical "Cheap Android" behavior. Welcome to iOS9 :(
"Very bad idea"? Would you rather your battery barely make it through the morning, let alone throughout the day? iOS has throttled the CPUs clock speed for years now with no ill effects.

Battery life is far more important than barely perceptible occasional jitter in animations.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
The hell are you talking about?
Even your PC/MacBook does that!

Do you really think a CPU is running at full speed all the time?

And regarding your "Cheap Android Behavior", ROMS and mods to the Kernel that specifically play with states, speeds and gobernors correctly show far more better results both battery and performance than the Stock Android settings.
I'm sure Apple does this too in some major updates, it would be STUPID not to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.