Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144303-shantanu.jpg
The Wall Street Journal is currently conducting an exclusive interview with Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen regarding an open letter posted earlier today by Apple CEO Steve Jobs sharing his thoughts on Adobe's Flash technology and reasons why Apple has not included support for it on iPhone OS devices. Video clips and the full interview will be available later, but the Journal is currently providing live updates of the interview in progress.

In his opening comments, Narayen noted that Adobe believes in "open content", stressing that its Creative Suite software is designed to work on a number of different platforms and that the company remains committed to its vision that its software should be able to help people work across multiple operating systems. Narayen also noted that Adobe products, presumably referring to Flash, will be fully supported on the next version of the Android smartphone operating system, as confirmed by Google vice president Andy Rubin earlier this week.

In addressing Jobs' claims of technology issues with Flash, Narayen called the comments "really a smokescreen" and pointed to over 100 App Store applications created using Flash. Further countering Jobs' assertions, Narayen blamed Apple's operating systems for Flash-related crashes and called Jobs' claims of Flash hampering battery life on mobile devices "patently false". In general, Narayen also claimed that Flash issues highlighted in Jobs' letter are rooted in Apple's proprietary nature that prevents Adobe from innovating as they'd like.

Narayen again returned to his claim that Flash is an open standard, calling Jobs' claim of it being closed "amusing". Adobe's view of the world is multi-platform, allowing it to provide developers with tools to easily deploy their content across many devices and platforms, a concept that may not to Apple's benefit in trying to lock customers in to its ecosystem.

In conclusion, Narayen noted that customers have the ultimate voice in the dispute, and he believes that multi-platform solutions like Adobe's will win out.

Article Link: Adobe CEO Responds to Steve Jobs' 'Thoughts on Flash'

Last edited:

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Flash makes my battery life from :) to :(

And i'm using Adobe's newest 10.1 RC.

However, running Flash on Windows doesn't make my battery life drop at all.

Explain that Adobe. And no, I don't want to buy a new computer.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Hey, Shantanu . . . no one's listening. Apple totally ate your lunch. Now go fix your lousy software or get off my internet.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Wow, what a public mess!!

Two CEOs of such reputable and large organizations shouldn't get going at it like elementary school kids.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
That doesn't explain the performance of Flash on Linux where Adobe gets all the access it wants.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Flash makes my battery life from :) to :(

And i'm using Adobe's newest 10.1 RC.

However, running Flash on Windows doesn't make my battery life drop at all.

Explain that Adobe. And no, I don't want to buy a new computer.

If you actually read his comments, I think you will find your answer. Apple is turning into a company that no one wanted to see. They are the new M$.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
hmm, then why does Flash also run so poorly on my Linux machine? Nah, it cant be adobe's fault.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
this exchange shows how big of a deal Flash as platform really is. Losing the dominance of Flash seems to be a big deal to Adobe so their CEO comes out for an interview right after Steve Jobs gives his interview.

How much money does Adobe make from Flash? Could it break Adobe if Flash becomes unimportant?

jviphone

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Reply from Steve Jobs:

"Im rubber your glue.."

- Steve Jobs
Sent from my ipad without flash

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Further countering Jobs' assertions, Narayen blamed Apple's operating systems for Flash-related crashes and called Jobs' claims of Flash hampering battery life on mobile devices "patently false".

The only time my IE on Windows ever crashes is because of Flash. Maybe Microsoft should fix their OS too.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Apple doesn't need Flash or adobe. It's the other way around. All apple needs to do a create its own suite of products and it won't even need CS5,etc.

And i hope that day comes because then adobe will be Fusterclucked!

m4c1nt05h

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
ok this guy doesn't get it either. Yes, your adobe csX software runs on a mac and pc. great.

but this is not the issue. we're talking about the INTERNET and what content is available on there. Flash is a closed system that, unfortunately, is a little too ubiquitous on the Internet but that does not mean it's open.

why is everyone comparing closed Operating Systems to the Internet, which is NOT an operating system, but a network of computers that need a common, established way to communicate with each other?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Adobe, just move off the Apple platform. It will hurt initially, but at least it won't hurt in the long run.

zodqyv

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
In a PR battle of this nature, my money goes on the guy who I've heard of before. Steve Jobs: household name. (At least in this household.) The other dude: who?

Exactly. The "other guy" is even less charismatic than Steve Ballmer.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
"100 App Store applications created using Flash"

That's 5 hundredths of 1 percent.

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
The only time my IE on Windows ever crashes is because of Flash. Maybe Microsoft should fix their OS too.

If your browser crashes because of some interaction with a plugin then, yes, your browser definitely has a problem. Whether the plugin has a problem depends on whether the plugin is stable and correctly written to published API spec.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.