Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
UK
I have a fairly recent Macbook Pro with CS3 on it [Waiting for 5], and all of the other 'usual suspects' you would find on a designer's hard drive. When I launch any of the Adobe CS3 software, my machine slows noticeably.

A few weeks ago I got a bit fed up and bought replacement RAM and a top rated drive, but it still does the same thing. Sometimes I just restart my machine after using CS3 to clean up. I don't notice this with any other software I have, and I have loads.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
If your browser crashes because of some interaction with a plugin then, yes, your browser definitely has a problem. Whether the plugin has a problem depends on whether the plugin is stable and correctly written to published API spec.

That means Chrome, Opera and Mozilla Firefox are all very buggy, and we should use this browser: Lynx.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I know first-hand that flash video eats up battery life on my MacBook Pro significantly faster than H.264 video. Likewise, I have first-hand experience with flash web sites crashing my Macs.

Steve's open letter nailed it.

Mark

Trexznl

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2009
The Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Jobs: my os is open, your software is closed!

Random guy I've never heard about before: my software is open, your os is closed!

Jobs: is not!

Random guy: is!

And so on.. I mean come on. Why can't they just share their candy and be happy?

Oh and forget the whole
mobile flash idea. It's a friggin disaster. Give. Up. Adobe. (while you still can).

If adobe were to optimize flash for desktops then we'd be off to a much better mobile START.

Or let's just move over to html5 alltogether.

thedarkhalf

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
Proof

I just wish one of these guys would post proof of what they write about. Jobs should show an iPad or iPhone running flash against one that is running HTML5 video or something and the drain on battery life.

That would end this very quick

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Mr. Narayen,

I don't want to see Flash on my iPhone. :p

Regards,
iPhone User

Mr Jobs,

I want to users to have an option to have Flash on their mobile devices. The amount of businesses I've had to say, "Sorry, no can do" then leave me, becuase their site won't work on the iPhone platform is substantial.

Regards,
Shamil
Chief Development Engineer and Software Architect
Radon Systems

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
It really doesn't take a genius to figure out what the optimum response would be to Steve's letter - nothing.
Yet this imbecile goes to the Wall Street Journal and rambles on about the same talking points they've mustered in the past.

Steve might be blunt, but you've gotta hand it to him, he knows what he's doing.

irmongoose

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Oh, I hope flash disappears in well, ... a flash! :cool: (sunglasses ready)

Can't wait to see Steve smite this little man & his company :D

popcorn? :eek:

HTML5 FTW ;) lol.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Mr. Narayen,

I don't want to see Flash on my iPhone. :p

Regards,
iPhone User

Mr. Adobe CEO Tool,

I don't want to see Flash on my Mac or anywhere on the web either.

Regards,
The Consumer you so mistakenly think will help Adobe win out.

P.S. Can you stop making each iteration of Acrobat progressively worse. Are you really trying to emulate M$?

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Great. Because trading barbs publicly is always the best way to go about solving a problem.
I think it is because both sides are acting like school children so why not let them fight it out on the playground?

If you actually read his comments, I think you will find your answer. Apple is turning into a company that no one wanted to see. They are the new M$.
Agreed. They are greedy heartless bast@rds.

Adobe. If you are so unhappy with Apple, don't play in their yard.

Apple is fine without Flash.:eek:
Yes they will be. Many people think that it is stupid to purposely cripple a fantastic product. How much more awesome would the iPad be if you could stream Hulu over 3G right now? Apple's Tanya Harding approach to products is just sad.

iMouse

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Boardman, Ohio
Adobe products are garbage. Adobe's CEO needs to get his employees to write faster, stable and secure code before taking on Steve's open letter.

As someone who cleans malware-ridden Windows boxes, more often than not, the box was compromised "drive-by style" because of Adobe's poor security practices in Flash Player and Reader.

Adobe is a large chunk of the reason why IE gets a bad name.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Yeah, the problem is with Developers optimising the code, after all. Adobe should withdraw from the Apple platform, and thus, reducing its losses.

Really because Adobe sells 1/2 of it's CS products to Mac users who represent what percent of the market.

sfh

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Sacramento CA
Mr Jobs,

I want to users to have an option to have Flash on their mobile devices. The amount of businesses I've had to say, "Sorry, no can do" then leave me, becuase their site won't work on the iPhone platform is substantial.

Regards,
Shamil
Chief Development Engineer and Software Architect
Radon Systems

learn HTML javascript and css
then you won't have to turn business away... pretty simple

roxnadz

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
" 'I find it amusing, honestly. Flash is an open specification,' he says."

Okay, where's the free (non-trial) Flash dev tool download, then?

Oh, wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.