Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaneglass

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2007
MacRumors isn't posting the rest of the pictures they have.

It's as I've said all along. December 28th at 9am they will be available for sale. $197 for the 8GB and $297 for the 16GB. Two-year contract required and the activation will be done in store at our Walmart kiosks.

No $99 iPhone anywhere in sight.

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
Its gotta be $100. what point in selling a mere $20 off for the middle market?
This is for people who like the iPhone but dont need to store the Encyclopedia on it, or play Wizards

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
My main problem with iphones is not the cost. A $99 iphone won't make the deal attractive because the main cost is the service plan. If the service plan is reduced then it might make more sense...if lower by $10/mo it far out does the initial cost savings of the device.

The next issue I have is the fact that AT&T will never unlock the phone, not even after 2 years. If I go and get it unlocked by unofficial means, I will never be able to update the software.

My third problem with the iphone is the battery. You have to send it back to Apple if you ever have problems with the battery.

I'm quite surprised that there are as many users of the iphone as there are despite all of these issues.

Otherwise, it's a lovely device.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Walmart contributes nothing positive to the world, to workers or to quality products. It is so disppointing that an innovative company such as Apple, with all of their possible options, would partner-up with the poster children for the most rapacious elements of the capitalist pyramid scheme. I do all of my creative work on Mac's and love them, but now that I'm due to update my phone, I will avoid buying an iPhone -- or anything else that I possibly can --that is sold at a Walmart. (Shop local for locally made, green products.)

How much more screwed does the economy need to get before people wise up to the role Walmart (the world's biggest retailer) has played in forcing companies to cut their production costs by shipping our jobs overseas to be performed by underpaid, unrepresented and mistreated labor? Did Apple learn nothing from getting spanked previously over their own overseas manufacturing issues? Apple should be blazing the trail away from Walmart and their practices & retail bullying-- not kissing up to them.

At what point do we subjugate our desire to have "now & cheap" with the longer range, larger picture of having decent jobs at decent wages making sustainable and useful products? How long do we shoot ourselves in the foot over and over? What do we need more-- a new gadget, or a roof over our heads, food on the table, health care?

Apple's decision to mate with the devil is a great disappointment. :apple:

I don't usually defend Walmart however this time I will go out on a limb and say that Walmart isn't any worse then Apple has been as far as shipping jobs overseas. The biggest difference however is that Walmart has somewhat passed the cost savings of Chinese produced goods back to the consumer. Apple still charges a premium for their products even after they switched to low wage Chinese production. How else do you explain Apple's high profit margins? They are no different then any other Corporation. They are in business to make a profit for their shareholders and executives.

I love Apple, but they are just as guilty as the rest when it comes to this issue. The only consumer electronics product that I have bought recently that was made in the USA was a Bose Wave CD/Radio. That's it. I can't find any others.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
Price is going up not down

Apple isn't going to start offering cut rate iPhones because it would harm their image as a supplier of premium goods. I wouldn't be surprised if the base iPhone moves to 16GB next rev. They're never going back to 4GB and will never drop to $99.

In fact I expect the price to increase over time as carriers become more reluctant to offer revenue sharing and as customers become more determined to have flexibility.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
matticus008, your post is greatly appreciated and I learned something from it. The concept of price maintenance is not a well know one.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
No, you would be required to sign the 2-year service agreement with AT&T, but will have to go to the AT&T store to active the iPhone so you could use it.

From what I have observed, Wal-mart will not be selling the 4GB iPhone for $99, they will be selling the 8GB iPhone for $197.

If you want an inactivated iPhone, you have 2 options:
a) you can buy an iPhone for $199, cancel the 2-year service agreement after it is signed, and pay a $200 fee
or
b) buy an iPhone off of Amazon, eBay, or some other online stores.

but walmart does not have an in house activation service (that i know off for the iphone anyway), so they cant make me activated it on the spot like the apple or att store. so insted of going to att, i go home and hack it right?

jvlog

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Why apple, why?
of all the qualified venders to distribute the iPhone you have to choose wal-mart :-(
now I'm gonna feel like white trash every time i make a call

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I personally do not like walmart and tend to advoid them. A lot of companies make 2 versions of there products. The Walmart version and the good one.

Walmart one is cheaply made and normally is crap. Walmart due to what it forces on its suppliers destroys brand names. Walmarts gets them in and then over time forces there product to be cheaper and cheaper under the threat of making them leave their stores. Make the brand completely worthless.

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
If you have multiple american express cards, you can get a great deal on the iphone through Walmart.

Amex offers a $20 credit if you make 2 $40 puchases. Gift cards work. If you have 4 Amex cards, buy $320 of gift cards and get $80 back. Use gift cards to pay for the 16gb iPhone.

Also, you may qualify for significant savings off your monthly bill through AT&T. Many schools and work places quailfy.

See my site for details. Look for Walmart and At&t posts

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I personally do not like walmart and tend to advoid them. A lot of companies make 2 versions of there products. The Walmart version and the good one.

Walmart one is cheaply made and normally is crap. Walmart due to what it forces on its suppliers destroys brand names. Walmarts gets them in and then over time forces there product to be cheaper and cheaper under the threat of making them leave their stores. Make the brand completely worthless.

I understand that there is a lot of hate towards Walmart, however it is funny that Walmart is one of the few stores that continues to gain market-share every month. Last month stores like Target, Sears and almost all other Department Stores and Electronic retailers were down double digits and Walmart was up once again. This year only Walmart is going to have an outstanding Christmas. Everyone else is barely hanging on.

I think Apple sees this and knows they have to get their products out where people are shopping if they want to continue to gain marketshare. Walmart might cheapen a products image, but if only Walmart is left does it really matter?

Ethonastar

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
i've stated already a few days ago on this very site that walmart will be selling the iphone. iphones will be offer as 8GB and 16GB and will go on sell to their workers DEC 15. everyone else, shoppers that is, have to wait till late DEC to buy it. either way the iphone comes with a 2 year contract at a 69.99 start price. this plan includes the 450 anytime rollover minutes along with the 30 dollar internet/data charge. once again you all are welcome to trust my info or not (seeings how i work for walmart) but soon you all will find out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.