Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

variations

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
I personally do not like walmart and tend to advoid them. A lot of companies make 2 versions of there products. The Walmart version and the good one.

Walmart one is cheaply made and normally is crap. Walmart due to what it forces on its suppliers destroys brand names. Walmarts gets them in and then over time forces there product to be cheaper and cheaper under the threat of making them leave their stores. Make the brand completely worthless.

Nothing that I have bought from Walmart has broken just like that. And I really do not know what Brand names they have made completely useless. Definitely nothing related to video games.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
What is up with the hatred for WalMart?
There is nothing wrong with WalMart. Just because you can buy an iPod there, does that mean the iPod is junk?

Oh my God, I just bought an iPhone at WalMart and that means that it is utter crap now.

What a crock of crap people..... grow up. It's only a store.
I wouldn't care if I could buy a Mac at TJ Maxx... It's still a Mac.

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
Slightly divergent question, sorry: wife and I use ATT—two phones on one account—with the second phone costing another $10 per month (family plan deal). Like a couple of others who've posted here, I'd buy a 4GB iphone for $99 (if one does appear), but probably not the $200+ versions. Does the ATT family plan work for multiple iphones ($70 + $10), or not ($70 + $70)? I suppose I could ask ATT or Apple, but since I'm hanging out here just now... thanks.

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
AT&T Plans

Slightly divergent question, sorry: wife and I use ATT—two phones on one account—with the second phone costing another $10 per month (family plan deal). Like a couple of others who've posted here, I'd buy a 4GB iphone for $99 (if one does appear), but probably not the $200+ versions. Does the ATT family plan work for multiple iphones ($70 + $10), or not ($70 + $70)? I suppose I could ask ATT or Apple, but since I'm hanging out here just now... thanks.

If you already have ATT, enter your phones into their website to check for eligibility - your phones need to first be eligible for an upgrade. Once past that, you can get iPhones on your existing plan by adding data (for the original iPhone it's $20 per phone, for 3G it's $30 per phone). If you want to dump your existing plan and switch to the minutes in the iPhone familytalk plans, then it would be $70 for the first 3G iPhone ($60 for a 2G iPhone) , $39 for the next 3G iPhone ($29 for the original iPhone). So the cheapest monthly service you can get 2 phones is $109 for the original iPhones and $129 for 3G iPhones. You can also mix and match (have anywhere from 2 to 5 original and 3G iPhones).

Unfortunately, even if you live in a location which doesn't have 3G coverage yet, if you have a 3G iPhone, you still have to pay that extra $10 (you could always visit a big city and start using their high speed network). As a result, there is still a lively market for original iPhones on Ebay and Craigslist in areas which don't have 3G yet, because over 2 years it saves you $240 per phone in plan rates.

If you want text messaging on 3G, you have to add $5 per line for 200 msgs, $15 per line for unlimited, or you can pay $30 and all familytalk members have unlimited. For the original iPhone you get 200 messages as part of your plan and pay extra for more.

So the difference in cost of the iPhone 3G if there is a cheaper 4GB model ($99 vs $199) is almost negligible in this decision compared to the cost of the service (if you're paying $10/mo for the second phone, you'll be paying $39 or $29 per month for your second iPhone. Multiply that over 2 years and it kind of makes holding out for the $99 Walmart phone not worth it. Believe me, my wife and I use our iPhones all the time and would never go back to a regular phone. It doesn't bother me that we paid $399 for the phones - the amount of use and usefulness getting to the internet from almost anywhere is well worth it.

pmbooks

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
California
Thanks so much, lucasmonger, for your very thorough answer. Makes sense that over the long term the initial savings for a smaller storage iPhone turns out to be small in relation to overall cost. I only wish I could have one for a few weeks to see if I'd really use it as much as you say you do. I work so much of my day on the computer, and a part of me doesn't relish the idea of more similar time on a smartphone. btw, the cell phone I do use is about as low tech as they come, which shows you where I work from at this point. But, like all things cutting edge technical, I'm sure I'd be continually surprised by little tricks and conveniences that would add to my daily experience.

Thanks again, PM

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Agreed. The article is ambiguous about the 4gb model. I can't see WalMart getting an exclusive on such a phone; that would cut into Best Buy's sales. I don't think Apple would want to pit retailers against each other, undercutting sales of their products. iPod sales have fairly fixed prices. The only leverage retailers seem to have is offering ad-ons (free case with purchase, etc...). WalMarts iPods are usually just $1 below other retailers, so it's not like they have a big advantage. I would expect iPhones to be treated the same way. The biggest beneficiaries will be Apple and AT&T.

BTW, does anyone know how Best Buy has been doing with their iPhone sales? The chain doesn't seem to be pushing it very hard. In flyers around here, there are page after page of ads for Verizon and T-Mobile phones, but scant mention of the iPhone.

Who cares if it cuts into Best Buys sales? And this wouldnt be the first time Walmart gets an exclusive on items. They are the ONLY place where you can buy AC/DC's new CD and they are the ONLY place that you could get the Eagles latest CD. Two groups that have sold millions of records and CD's which is cutting into Best Buy.
This would be on a bigger scale but i dont see why Apple would care if Walmart is selling their iPhone with the smallest memory. People still want them. I just sold my unlocked and jailbroken 4GB iPhone on ebay for $315 and unlocked or not, people are still buying the 4GB there.
Best Buy has many, many other things that Walmart doesnt have so i doubt it will come close to hurting them....if there is even any truth to it and if so, who cares? You still cant get one from a retailer without signing up for AT&T service.

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
iPhone almost replaces a computer

Thanks so much, lucasmonger, for your very thorough answer. Makes sense that over the long term the initial savings for a smaller storage iPhone turns out to be small in relation to overall cost. I only wish I could have one for a few weeks to see if I'd really use it as much as you say you do. I work so much of my day on the computer, and a part of me doesn't relish the idea of more similar time on a smartphone. btw, the cell phone I do use is about as low tech as they come, which shows you where I work from at this point. But, like all things cutting edge technical, I'm sure I'd be continually surprised by little tricks and conveniences that would add to my daily experience.

Thanks again, PM

Diverging even more, just to give you some perspective, after I got my iPhone I found myself not using my computer nearly as much. My office blocks webmail so I used to come home from work and sit all night catching up on emails, web surfing, etc. With the iPhone I end up reading my favorite websites, email, etc. in 2 to 5 min spurts all day long so when I get home, I can spend quality time. You can visit a page at a stoplight, when it turns green drive a bit, complete the quick read at the next light (just don't surf and drive at the same time - way too dangerous). The iPhone isn't a complete replacement for a computer. It's good for reading things, not good for creating or editing documents (for that you will need a computer). The other huge convenience is being able to access the internet from almost anywhere. Certainly, having a larger screen and faster networking of a computer is better, but when you are out and about, it is extremely useful. My only regret is not switching carriers 6 months earlier when my Sprint plan was up.

gotem33

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2008
99$ Iphone a Yes

I was talking online to an Apple customer service representative, because my iphone fell into water and got a damaged water sensor, P.S. don't try painting it they scratch the paint off and see the damaged sensor:) but anyway the representative hint hint cough coughed to wait for the new iphone 3g that is coming out after christmas to walmart, maybe it is just a rumor but I think I'll wait. If that helps any then great if not don't try paper, bleach, alcohol, or paint when trying to trick apple because they don't really work.:apple:

ericjohnson1981

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
If this ever happens I'm buying out the entire store!
counter.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.