Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
from the point of view of apple, the iphone 4 is still a best selling (though people are waiting to see the next phones coming out, but still), so why take so much efforts to redesign a new form factor?.

this is why so many companies r failing at some point bc they think they can stay forever on top of their high horse and stop putting effort in anything bc well "its selling anyway so why bother"

CrystalPepsi

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
People have forgotten that AT&T is taking delivery of iphone 5 (new design) cases. Do you think they are having these delivered "just in case"? ********. Someone knows something.

Also, as a long time iPhone user and current developer/tester of Android devices, Apple needs a 4" screen. I have been playing with Samsungs with beautiful 4"+ screens. If you haven't see the beautiful screens out there, you're missing out. Apple would be stupid to ignore these devices.

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK
People have forgotten that AT&T is taking delivery of iphone 5 (new design) cases. Do you think they are having these delivered "just in case"? ********.

Quite. I think there may be all 3 released, the "cut down 4" for China and similar markets, the "4S" to replace the 3GS as the entry phone for most of us, and the "5" as the big surprise, crowd-pleaser.

Someone knows something.
Not me, I'm just guessing and hoping!

dhrlove

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd rather have a higher dynamic range photo sensor than a higher MP. I'd also prefer a longer battery life than bigger screen smaller phone.

PstLMac

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Atl GA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Better front facing camera I hope.

1eyedwilli3

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

When the 3G when to 3GS I refused to buy my same phone in a tweaked package. I never used any of the features the 3GS had to offer. It was completely irrelevant to me and many people I knew.
Pretty much how the iPhone 4S will be too.
You won't see to many people rushing to turn their iP4 in to get a iP4S.
You might see 3GS owners rushing to do so.
And I am an Apple employee and I can already tell you a lot of people are POed of the very idea of just an IPhone 4 launch.
When there are worse android phones on the market with better features and bigger screens and cameras I think Amdroids market share will increase when no real iphone 5 launched.
And I honestly have never personally seen an Android owner say they hate their phone. A solid made Android phone is the worst thing for Apple. Soon many HTC and Samsung android phones will offer a base of 32GB of memory. With up to 128GB of storage and they will sell at the same price point as the iPhone.
When a crap economy offers you more bang for your buck apple will finally see the error of the 4S way.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010

What if the iPhone 4S does have a 4 inch screen and Apple have just expanded the size of the iPhone design. Same design just bigger :)

Rozac155

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
I dont think that :apple:Steve would leave Apple in such time, if there is no big surprise going on. Steve hurt shares, fans and everybody else by leaving Apple. (I know that he has medical problems, but thats not the point here) And I think that he carefully choose this time because the new CEO will get a chance to introduce a whole new phone (that would be the mysterious iPhone 5), new China market model (8GB) and 4S as the cheaper one. This is great to show him in a best possible way...
Think back... Apple is playing games with us... We start a rumor only if Apple wants. The phone picture on the Apple site? The bar again? Foxconn pictures of 2 models? Assembly lines? almost all of them were low-res in the beginning. The newer ones might be realy leaks and stuff but the parts cannot be leaked this easy. What about statements? T-mobile or Sprint? (I forgot which one said) We all know that you have to have a meeting with companies to sell their products... So why mention iPhone 5?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
People have forgotten that AT&T is taking delivery of iphone 5 (new design) cases. Do you think they are having these delivered "just in case"? ********. Someone knows something.

Also, as a long time iPhone user and current developer/tester of Android devices, Apple needs a 4" screen. I have been playing with Samsungs with beautiful 4"+ screens. If you haven't see the beautiful screens out there, you're missing out. Apple would be stupid to ignore these devices.

No, they aren't. We have no confirmation those released shots were from an AT&T store.

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I dont think that :apple:Steve would leave Apple in such time, if there is no big surprise going on. Steve hurt shares, fans and everybody else by leaving Apple...

The shares only went down 5.13% that day, rebounded and exceeded the next week, and hit its record high less than a month later. I know Steve Jobs' departure shook a lot of people, but not the market so much.

He left for health reasons and I doubt those are effected by product releases. Not to mention what is being released on Tuesday has been in the works a lot longer than just a few months.

I'm hoping for a redesign, too, but I don't think Jobs' departure is an indicator either way.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Problem is some people have reported that the A5 is necessary to use apples new assistant feature (due to processing demands). Would they rerelease the iPhone 4 when it couldn't run one of the key iOS features since it only has the A4. Has apple ever sold an iPhone model that couldn't take full advantage of the iOS software? Would they rerelease a 16 month old phone for another 12 months only with reduced storage?

There were proven references to 4S in the iTunes beta, what about the iPhone 5 references in radioshack's database and all the case leaks?

Yes, the would, they have, and they do.

----------

No, they aren't. We have no confirmation those released shots were from an AT&T store.

We have no confirmation on any rumors about the iPhone 4s/5. None. You can't prove to me those screenshots are from Apples inventory database either. It would take me less than 5 minutes to make on original screenshot that said the name of that phone was the iPhone 5.

Should I blurry it up like they did for decent effect, or just take a dcnt shot?

78-bit

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2011

I'm now convinced the people absolutely certain there will be a redesigned iPhone 5 announced on Tuesday are the same people who believe 9/11 was an inside job.

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
Has it been discussed that maybe apple will announce an iPhone pro line? Maybe they will show the new bigger screen but it won't be available for a month or two. I for one would love them to ditch the new phone name each year and just have something like iPhone and iPhone pro.

I could see this happening Tuesday

iPhone 4 - free - $99
iPhone 4s 199 (16) 249-300 (32)
iPhone 5 300 and up. Maybe 64 gb?

Maybe they would call them

iPhone cheapie ( jk on that one)
iPhone
iPhone pro

Let's face it. They can't keep coming up with these names because iPhone 9 is going to be pretty dumb. It's either drop the name or start using dumb ones like every other phone out there that mean absolutely nothing: iPhone fireball turbo ultra edition.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm tired of reasing about people saying they won't get the fifth gen iphone if apple dosen't redesign it.

STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT, LETS ONLY DISCUSS THE FACTS/LEAKS WE HAVE.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
No, but Apple dispels rumours through blogs such as Daring Fireball, AllThingsD and The Loop. Unofficially, of course, but they give information they wish to share to these blogs who report these scoops. They did it to lower expectations for WWDC (no new iPhone hardware).

EDIT: So basically, I figure that Apple would get one of these blogs to report that there is no chance of an iPhone 5 so that expectations are lowered BEFORE the event. This would temper expectations so that it isn't considered a letdown and the iPhone 4S is focused on because all of the bitching has already been done, rather then the iPhone 5 that never was. However, this is nowhere close to any sort of evidence, it's just interesting.

Excuse me, but there has been lowered expectation leaks.
Have you read John Gruber's blog titled "Teardrop Skepticism" posted on Friday?
Read it and you will see why there will be NO redesign.
http://daringfireball.net/

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

And why has macrumors become a whinefest when we don't get what we want?

I completely get the disappointment and anger, but what happend to punching the wall and bitching on your facebook/twitter/tumblr????

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

My 3GS is good enough.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.

An iPhone 2011 wouldnot be in the new case anyway...

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Yes, Gruber has voiced his opinion (opinion being the keyword here), and his thinking that a teardrop design would be uncomfortable to hold on to. Paczkowski... he didn't say anything about there being no iPhone 5. His last iPhone related post was Sept 27th, about the media invites, and he states that nothing is confirmed except that the next iPhone will most likely have A5 and global chip.

Either way, what I mean is that there hasn't been an aggressive response from The Loop or AllthingsD about no iPhone 5. Remember when that annoying (and unfortunately right) Kara Swisher lady kept reiterating that we won't see the next iPhone until October? Well, that's what I mean by Apple aggressively knocking down false rumors and managing expectations.

If AllthingsD or The Loop post an article/statement about "Our sources [which is Apple] say new iPhone will be 4S," then it is 99% official that all we are getting is 4S.

Gruber never said that, he said only "I don't know", that's what is post mean. He said that he doesn't believe in a tear drop design "don't count on it", mainly because he doesn't like the idea. But at the same time he said "ask again later" to wether there would be two new iPhone instead of just one.

They can't just come out and say it!
They have to be subtle about it and just drop hints and inuendo's.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Has there been any evidence of an improved FaceTime camera? I hope at least 1-2MP.

"There has been no evidence that the tapered iPhone 5 design is actually in production." love this!

lachero23

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; zh-cn) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The number "1" on the phone app icon tells us that they will release only one model. I bet on the second presumption.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; zh-cn) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The number "1" on the phone app icon tells us that they will release only one model. I bet on the second presumption.

Could also mean itll be the #1 phone :p

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure it means ONE phone world wide because it will be both GSM and CDMA.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007

Have there been anymore reports of these cases showing up at AT&T stores? Or was this just the one store/report?

----------

What if the iPhone 4S does have a 4 inch screen and Apple have just expanded the size of the iPhone design. Same design just bigger :)

This is what I have been wondering also. Weren't there some Wall Street or Bloomberg rumors that the next iPhone would have a 4 inch screen in basically the same form factor?

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
There has been no evidence that the tapered iPhone 5 design is actually in production.

This is great- I can hear the collective rage of everyone who has voted down every comment I've made over the past week that Arn has pretty much compiled everything me and other realists have been saying - no redesigned iPhone 5 on Tuesday. There is no proof, no valid rumors, the AT&T "inventory lists" meant squat, etc, etc. I'm glad MacRumors had the balls to do this. Carry on...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.