Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
MacOSRumors has a very interesting report:

"Straight to PowerMac G6?! Several new reports have painted a very interesting picture, and the best part is that we may only have to wait a couple of days to find out how much truth is behind them.
Wednesday, IBM will be holding its POWER/PowerPC processor event -- and if these rumors prove true -- we could hear from Apple shortly thereafter.

If so, the news might be PowerMacs that will adopt the POWER5-based PowerPC 975 processor as Apple's "G6," fulfilling Steve's 3GHz promise and paving the way for G5 (970FX)-based Powerbooks/iMacs.
We're not putting too much stock in these reports just yet, but it will be interesting to see where along the predicted spectrum Wednesday's news places us...stay tuned for real-time coverage. "

Interesting. :)

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
think about it. no new hardware until july. motorola focking up (again?). they said, the consumer machines will only get g5 when the prosumer machines all get the faster g5 (or g6).

the answer? g6 in july and all consumer machines g5 by july!!!

:D *sarcasm*

don't worry people. we are only hallucinating because of the lack of hardware updates...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
m-dogg said:
Is MacOSRumors ever right about a rumor? I don't think I've seen one thing. Ever!
I agree! MacOSRumors' accuracy is downright AWFUL; I can't remember the last thing they predicted correctly. I still visit for an interesting read.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
i have inside information, top secret, which confirms this G6 update in july. in september, there will be a G7 which will be based on the intel P4

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Just remember what the "G" in G3/4/5 stands for. It would be ridiculous to declare an updated 970 a new generation. Since the G4 made its debut only two years after the introduction of the G3 we might in fact see a G6 next year(although I doubt it) but certainly not in July of 04.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
redAPPLE said:
don't worry people. we are only hallucinating because of the lack of hardware updates...

Well said. Like mirages in the desert. And merwomen.
:)

merwomen was so peecee. haha

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
invaLPsion said:
MacOSRumors has a very interesting report:

"Straight to PowerMac G6?! Several new reports have painted a very interesting picture, and the best part is that we may only have to wait a couple of days to find out how much truth is behind them.
Wednesday, IBM will be holding its POWER/PowerPC processor event -- and if these rumors prove true -- we could hear from Apple shortly thereafter.

If so, the news might be PowerMacs that will adopt the POWER5-based PowerPC 975 processor as Apple's "G6," fulfilling Steve's 3GHz promise and paving the way for G5 (970FX)-based Powerbooks/iMacs.
We're not putting too much stock in these reports just yet, but it will be interesting to see where along the predicted spectrum Wednesday's news places us...stay tuned for real-time coverage. "

Interesting. :)
Yah, it wouldn't make sense to come out with a new processor name so soon. Its not really that different, people would feel ripped of, and I would be confused. We don't want me confused, now do we?

Ensoniq

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Bronx, NY
Everyone...let's remember how all these chip names work.

The actual name of the IBM chips in PowerMac G5 systems is the "PPC 970". It is based on IBM's "Power 4" line of server processors. The term "G5" is only an Apple-invented marketing tool.

Now...IBM's next server processor line is called the "Power 5". If you ask them, they will certainly tell you it's a different generation than the "Power 4" was. Their desktop version of the "Power 5" is supposedly going to be the "PPC 975".

If the "Power 4" and "Power 5" are considered different generations, than the desktop chips based on them ("PPC 970" and "PPC 975") would almost certainly be considered different generations.

So now we're back to Apple...if IBM is calling the PPC 970 and PPC 975 different generation chips, WHY would Apple not do the same? Therefore, it makes perfect sense that Apple would introduce the PPC 975 Power 5-based desktop CPU as: G6 or G5 Extreme.

To say that Apple definitely WILL NOT give it a new name would be incorrect. Apple may or may not...but if they did, it would create more publicity and makes it look like we're leaping ahead of Intel and AMD.

"Wow, Apple's pro-line uses the G6, and the consumer line uses the G5, and IBM moved ahead a full processor generation in just one year!" It's a marketing pinhead's dream! And don't tell me you can't imagine His-Steveness gloating all about it at this upcoming WWDC.

I'm not saying I believe anything MOSR has to say. I don't even know how far along the PPC 975 is in development. Neither do most of you. But don't be so quick to say "no" to something that is at least a possible "maybe". :)

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Ensoniq said:
But don't be so quick to say "no" to something that is at least a possible "maybe". :)

Winning the lottery is a 'maybe' but that doesn't mean it's going to happen ;) I would be very surprised if Apple moved to a new name that quickly - just look at the G4. The G4 now is a very different chip to the one that was first used, but the name stayed for a long time.

1macker1 said:
All the rumor sites have a poor history as far as I can tell.

Maybe, however, MacOSRumors has recently had an extremely poor history. There's a reason this isn't on the site - iirc arn has said he won't be posting anything from mosr because they just make stuff up now.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Ensoniq said:
To say that Apple definitely WILL NOT give it a new name would be incorrect.

You miss the entire point of chip names. It has less to do with the chip design than with marketing. Apple will not up the generation of the chips they use until a couple things happen. (barring a HUGE change, like risc to (NO!) cisc)

• All the pro line is using the newest chip generation
• Enough time has passed that it will not confuse consumers to go to the next generation

When you say it is a "dream" to jump two generations in a year, or close to it, you are right. It is a dream. I am saying it now, and I will stick to it. There will not now, not ever, be an Apple G6 in 2004, and maybe not even 2005.

Besides, what says that Apple is even going to continue naming the chips by their "Generation"? Computers are constantly becoming less about the components inside and more about what they can do. Hertz ratings are on their way out. This same type of thing may occur with all things computer.

Lets think about it for a minute. Mac processor release dates (dates approximate):

680X0- Jan. 1984 all-in-one (basically Generation 1)
PPC 601- 1994
PPC 603- 1995
PPC 604- 1995 (basically all 60Xs are Generation 2)
G3- Released in a Beige desktop/mini tower in November 1997.
G4- Released in a mini tower in August 1999.
G5- Released in a tower in June of 2003 (when did it finally ship?)

So- in 20 years, Apple has upped the Generation of its processors 5 times. On average, about every 4 years. Not counting the 10 years at 680X0, we will call it about every 3 years.

If history has taught us anything, we will have learned that we have a good long year (or more) left in the G5 moniker. It is basically 4/2004. We might not see a G6 until 6/2006. That is 26 months from now. Even if IBM release a Power6 version for desktops, it will still be called a G5 for the foreseeable short term.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
m-dogg said:
Is MacOSRumors ever right about a rumor? I don't think I've seen one thing. Ever!

MOSR has been right on many things... just not many things in recent times. Also, alot of their correct rumors are shrouded by other rumors. They post alot of different things from different sources, which is not the practice of most other rumor sites (MacRumors included). Regardless of whether or not this chip is named the "G6" by Apple, I think there is a possibility of this occurring.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
idkew said:
Lets think about it for a minute. Mac processor release dates (dates approximate):

680X0- Jan. 1984 all-in-one (basically Generation 1)
PPC 601- 1994
PPC 603- 1995
PPC 604- 1995 (basically all 60Xs are Generation 2)
G3- Released in a Beige desktop/mini tower in November 1997.
G4- Released in a mini tower in August 1999.
G5- Released in a tower in June of 2003 (when did it finally ship?)

So- in 20 years, Apple has upped the Generation of its processors 5 times. On average, about every 4 years. Not counting the 10 years at 680X0, we will call it about every 3 years.

If history has taught us anything, we will have learned that we have a good long year (or more) left in the G5 moniker. It is basically 4/2004. We might not see a G6 until 6/2006. That is 26 months from now. Even if IBM release a Power6 version for desktops, it will still be called a G5 for the foreseeable short term.

I think that according to your little chart (which is very nice BTW) that Apple could (although its not likely) start naming processors like they did with the 60x series in order to make it look like their moving along quicker.

G5 2003
G6 2004
G7 2005

Why buy a P4 when you can get a G6!!

However, the G stands for Generation (more or less), so perhaps Apple would adopt another naming scheme, or maybe Steve will do something funny, like naming it the G5.5 :D

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
G5 Extreme seems like a possibility, even if it's a dumb name. But that would be pretty amazing if these came out any time soon.

But wouldn't it be nice to be amazed by Apple?

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Zaty said:
Just remember what the "G" in G3/4/5 stands for. It would be ridiculous to declare an updated 970 a new generation. Since the G4 made its debut only two years after the introduction of the G3 we might in fact see a G6 next year(although I doubt it) but certainly not in July of 04.

but there was a 4 year gap between the g4 and the g5, so thats another thing you have to keep in mind. as for g6, not this year, not next year. i say 2006 sometime, maybe even 2007. not next year. to soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.