Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Regardless if this G6 rumor is correct, the IBM Power Event is still our best chance to see G5 updates, especially if the rumors are correct and Apple will have a presence there.

Updates Tomorrow?

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
m-dogg said:
Is MacOSRumors ever right about a rumor? I don't think I've seen one thing. Ever!

No, they are not. The only reason you should ever read that site is if you want to know what definitely is NOT going to happen (i.e., anything you read there you can be almost 100% certain is untrue, and will only be correct by pure chance). You're better off going to your local fortune teller for inside Apple info than you are reading MOSR.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am not a fan of MacOSRumors.com. Their editorial style reflects that of wannabe Apple prophets.

That said, they raise an interesting point. When G5 is ready for consumer Macs (iBook, iMac, and eMac), it does make sense to migrate pro Macs (PowerMac, PowerBook, xServe) to "G5+"/"G5 Extreme"/"G6" processor (a.k.a., PPC 975). Although I do not have numbers to back up my theory, it's plausible that many people think iBook G4 performs more or less similar to 12-inch PowerBook -- all because they both use the G4 processor, regardless of variation.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
to beat intel's marketing, Apple would need to release a Dual 3.2 Ghz PM, and then have a BTO Dual 3.4Ghz G5Extreme Edition. And have them both be of equal or equivalent price to a similar peeeceee system.

note that the above is about as likely as a MOSR 'rumor' to come true. :eek:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
As much as would love to see this, I can only shake my head....

A second generation G5 seems much more reasonable, given the XServes config....but even 3.0 GHz G5 might be too much to ask...

D

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Mr. Anderson said:

A second generation G5 seems much more reasonable, given the XServes config....but even 3.0 GHz G5 might be too much to ask...

D

I dont think they are going to appear without a fanfair...that means for me odds on either WWDC end of June or Paris end of August...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:

D

I'm optimistic and holding Steve to a 3.0 dual, which would be this summer. I agree since we are waiting longer than expected, it must be a major upgraded Rev. B! :)

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
G6 makes sense

I can believe a G6 this year. The reason is that Apple needs to move away from the G4 for the consumer also. Apple also doesn't like to have the consumer and pro models have close to the same specs. So they will move the pro models to the G6 and consumers to the G5 (finally). And the G4 will be used in phones or alarm clocks for all we care. I have no idea what will happen to the powerbook. Will it use the G5 or G6? Or perhaps a mobile G5? That will be a mystery.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
G6 makes sense

If this turns out to be true that we get a G6 this summer, that would mean Rev. A. Since I plan to purchase late Summer early Fall. Then that would mean that I would be getting a Rev. A. My hope is that Apple has learned from its mistakes on the G5. That what is has learned will make a consumer ready G6. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.