Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Many of us keep backups of our data on hard drives, using Apple's Time Machine, but how many of us keep multiple copies? And copies that are protected from not only disk failures, but also natural disaster? Estimates suggest 30 percent of people have never backed up their data, and the number of people who keep multiple backups is even lower.

With World Backup Day coming up, we teamed up with ioSafe and Synology to explore the consumer-oriented backup options they offer and to demonstrate the importance of keeping several copies of your data by simulating the effects of a house fire on the hardware.

If you're not familiar with ioSafe and Synology, ioSafe is best known for its disaster proof solutions, producing a range of hard drives that can withstand fire and water damage. Synology is known for its line of DiskStation NAS devices and for its DiskStation Manager software, which can be used for hassle-free backups, personal cloud storage, and more.

We traveled to Seattle to meet up with ioSafe and Synology to test out a Synology BeyondCloud NAS paired with an ioSafe Solo G3, a multi-backup solution that protects data from all kinds of damage, from hard drive failures to a house fire. We checked out some of the things you can do with the setup and then we set it all on fire.

iosafesynology-800x460.jpg
If you want to jump right to the good stuff, aka the fire, watch the video below. We filmed everything so you could see how the ioSafe G3 held up and watch the data recovery process. After watching the video, you can read on for more details on how the Synology BeyondCloud and ioSafe G3 work together and what you can do with them.

Make sure to scroll down to the bottom of the post -- we're going to be giving away a complete backup solution consisting of a 3TB Synology DiskStation BeyondCloud NAS and a 3TB ioSafe Solo G3.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: A Look at ioSafe and Synology: Two Storage Solutions for Protecting Data From Any Disaster

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
The way this is worded, it sounds like they will be giving the lucky winner a set of badly charred hard disks.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I can assure you as a frontline worker with Apple customers, it's more like 30% HAVE a backup, of which about 20% are more then 3 months old or faulty.

Wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. It boggles my mind how few people backup their computers or their iOS devices.

And I actually find offsite backup more important than these contraptions. Something like CRashPlan is good because it's on a server in another location altogether.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
I use time machine over WIFI (USB hard drive connected to a Mac Mini, all other devices back up to that) and once a month I clone the hard drives (SuperDuper) to another USB hard drive that I keep in the basement in an airtight plastic box.

I live in the top floor of my building so if my apartment burns down, I still got all the stuff in the basement. If the house burns down, the fire brigade is quite fast and either my apartment or the basement should be fine. If the basement is flooded (from the water used to extinguish the flames or just plain old flood), the tupperware box floats up. It's not connected to power either so it's protected from power surges and small EMP as well.

Best of all: My data is not floating around in a cloud and I don't run into internet bandwidth issues.

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. It boggles my mind how few people backup their computers or their iOS devices.

And I actually find offsite backup more important than these contraptions. Something like CRashPlan is good because it's on a server in another location altogether.

Don't worry! I Have iCloud!!

You'd be amazed how many believe iCloud has backed up everything...

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Something like CRashPlan is good because it's on a server in another location altogether.

Because in the event of a world devastating earthquake, most peoples first priority is retrieving data. :rolleyes:

Jk, I know its for smaller events, such as losing the hard drive or it being stolen lol.

Saucesome2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2014
Nashville, TN

I'm continuously irritated when iOS users buy phones from stores and the reps don't show them how to EASILY set up iCloud backup. Completely unacceptable when it's part of the initial setup process. My wife works for one of the cellphone companies and she said it's because they 1. Don't know how to do it (not sure how that's possible) and 2. Don't want to take the thirty seconds so they can get to the next customer.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
Anyone know what kind/brand of mini wireless AP this is in the picture sitting on top of the ioSafe?

Its tiny!

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
Is there a problem with the Rafflecopter widget? I tells me to fill in a line, but doesn't ask a question:

M1cQn3q.png

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Surely neither are as good as saving on the cloud.

The cloud just means you are relying on someone else to keep all of your precious memories both protected and secure. Nothing beats something at home for security and speed. Cloud is only handy in my experience for data you do not care if someone else got hold of.

----------

...any disaster except burglary.

It has a flame thrower if movement is detected while in armed mode... #jokes

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008

I do two separate ones also. Both clones, one at my house and one at a relatives. A week apart.
As for backups though, yes. Nobody I know personally backs up regularly despite me telling them they need to.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Is there a problem with the Rafflecopter widget? I tells me to fill in a line, but doesn't ask a question:

Sorry, there was an issue with this entry. It's fixed now, shouldn't be asked to fill anything in.

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Surely neither are as good as saving on the cloud.

When you have terabytes of data, the cloud is not a good option. I've whole DVD/Blue-ray collections that would take almost a year to upload to the cloud! LOL

Local solutions for audio and video enthusiasts is really the only way to go really.

I love my Synology DS1512+, I backup all my systems, I run a TeamSpeak 3 server, basic blog, file server, and VPN server to connect to my home network securely when traveling.. Extremely versatile NAS solution.

JuanAntonioA

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
Yeah, let's launch a few hard drives into the space in case Earth is attacked by monsters.

I am sticking with the cloud services :)

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I use Crash Plan for cloud backup and 2 external HD for local backup. I think I'm safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.