Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
There will surely be some kind of compatibility update soon.

But more importantly, will it allow Siri commands via the iPhone/iPad? That would be great.

The ATV remote looks nice and all, but I have an iPhone, which should, by rights, be capable of anything the ATV remote can do, and more.

LiquidRadio

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015
How bizarre that Apple would launch a new TV product without making the incredibly useful Remote App compatible. Siri doesn't search for everything, and it's bloody slow to go back to scanning on screen.

If a new app is coming, why the hell not have it ready for launch day?

(and yes I've checked for updates etc.)

Last edited:

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
How bizarre that Apple would launch a new TV product without making the incredibly useful Remote App compatible. Siri doesn't search for everything, and it's bloody slow to go back to scanning on screen.

remote app up to date, inc iPhone?

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
How bizarre that Apple would launch a new TV product without making the incredibly useful Remote App compatible

I asked if his iPhone and remote app were up-to-date as this may have caused an issue to him not using the remote app via ATV 4.

I'm currently still at work so I can play around with my new ATV 4 yet. The only thing I could think of is that there is a new update for remote app, that needs to be done and hasn't been released yet.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
I asked if his iPhone and remote app were up-to-date as this may have caused an issue to him not using the remote app via ATV 4

Nope, from the reviews I've read of the ATV4, the current Remote app isn't compatible, which is a PITA as typing with the new remote isn't any better....

Reactions: jayen-aitch

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Nope, from the reviews I've read of the ATV4, the current Remote app isn't compatible, which is a PITA as typing with the new remote isn't any better....

They might update in the future who knows.

I guess the whole point of remote app is gone with ATV 4, as the new remote has a touch pad and siri.

LiquidRadio

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2015

I guess the whole point of remote app is gone with ATV 4, as the new remote has a touch pad and siri.

No keyboard however. Siri is quite disappointing (no surprises) as it doesn't search for everything, and just offers a 'selection' of suggestions rather than a full catalogue. You need to manually search for that.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Nooo I liked it mainly for typing stuff! passwords and the like!

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Nooo I liked it mainly for typing stuff! passwords and the like!
Useful for copy + paste for passwords. My HBO, Showtime, and Netflix passwords are all 20+ characters.

This will be annoying.

eliehass

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
I agree. I've always copy pasted my passwords using the remote app. Typing them out is a pain, and the on screen keyboard on the ATV4 is worse for this then the previous ones in my opinion.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009

(and yes I've checked for updates etc.)

I remember reading you can pair your iPhone and it transfers all iTunes account info from your phone to it, so less keyboard is needed. But I agree, the remote app should have been updated last night.

The question I'm Curious about is if Siri searches what movies and tv shows you have on your computer through home sharing. I have movies on my Mac for example I would like to be included in the movie results for what I search for.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I remember reading you can pair your iPhone and it transfers all iTunes account info from your phone to it, so less keyboard is needed. But I agree, the remote app should have been updated last night.

The question I'm Curious about is if Siri searches what movies and tv shows you have on your computer through home sharing. I have movies on my Mac for example I would like to be included in the movie results for what I search for.

Siri doesn't currently work with home sharing, only those apps Apple has deemed worthy of the feature so far.

I cant believe they haven't done an update for the Remote app, I hope one is coming, I'd like text entry to be possible using that because on screen text entry sucks so far.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
The remote app has not been updated since April, so I guess is not compatible with the 4th generation TV.
They ought to release a new version soon, Siri is not available in my country and I don't want to enter text with the on screen keyboard.
Even if a bluetooth keyboard was supported I'd rather use my phone, since is much more convenient to use. Come on Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.