Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
the easiest way is to simply allow the use of the Close Eye AFTER the voting is done.
basically after the voting is closed the person with the card asks to see the vote of one of the team members.
the request is posted publicly in the thread, and then you PM them the result. Essentially how the spy worked.

this way the people voting do not know who is going to be looked at, but only that possibly someone could be.
this seems in line with the tabletop version, while the other way is too redundant with the spotlight.
it would also be one of two way, with the new cards, to actually possibly catch a spy (the other is Eavesdrop).
All right, that should work. Rules edited to reflect this approach.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I followed the first game with some interest.

However, two things did strike me about it. The first was that the rules, as interpreted, seemed to favour the agents, although that could also have been down to the fact that the agents had an outstanding team who were prepared to put in a lot of work in order to win.

And that was the second matter: This is a game which requires quite a considerable commitment, and I am writing as someone who tends to be pretty active when I am in the WW universe.

I'll watch this one with interest now that the rules have been tweaked somewhat; good luck to you all.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Okay, the roster is filled. I'll shuffle the list and PM you the roles on Sunday evening, and the game will begin on Monday in the AM.

Have a great July 4th weekend!

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
I followed the first game with some interest.

However, two things did strike me about it. The first was that the rules, as interpreted, seemed to favour the agents, although that could also have been down to the fact that the agents had an outstanding team who were prepared to put in a lot of work in order to win.

And that was the second matter: This is a game which requires quite a considerable commitment, and I am writing as someone who tends to be pretty active when I am in the WW universe.

I'll watch this one with interest now that the rules have been tweaked somewhat; good luck to you all.

yes, you are correct on both accounts.

the rule issue is not a major one. being a new game it will take some trials to reach a balance, and the only way to resolve that is by test-playing. i think in the last game we (the agents) got a large advantage by exploiting a gray area in the "no confidence" card, which was used in a way that was legit giving the rules frame, but way too powerful.
there have been several changes in this version and although my impression is that we moved maybe too much in the opposite direction, the only way to find out is to play.

the requirement for a higher commitment -in time and participation- is an intrinsic aspect of this format, i think.
the pace is decidedly quicker than WW, so there is less dead time, and all players need to be a bit more involved (although because of the mechanism, some players will be somewhat excluded from a point in).
Also, because there are fewer players and the vote requires almost everyone to be actively participating, even a single player who is absent/coasting impacts the game a lot, and two basically kill it.

timezones are a bit more of an issue in one way (since the time is more compressed), but less in another, due to the lack of need to communicate via PMs

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
yes, you are correct on both accounts.

the rule issue is not a major one. being a new game it will take some trials to reach a balance, and the only way to resolve that is by test-playing. i think in the last game we (the agents) got a large advantage by exploiting a gray area in the "no confidence" card, which was used in a way that was legit giving the rules frame, but way too powerful.
there have been several changes in this version and although my impression is that we moved maybe too much in the opposite direction, the only way to find out is to play.

the requirement for a higher commitment -in time and participation- is an intrinsic aspect of this format, i think.
the pace is decidedly quicker than WW, so there is less dead time, and all players need to be a bit more involved (although because of the mechanism, some players will be somewhat excluded from a point in).
Also, because there are fewer players and the vote requires almost everyone to be actively participating, even a single player who is absent/coasting impacts the game a lot, and two basically kill it.

timezones are a bit more of an issue in one way (since the time is more compressed), but less in another, due to the lack of need to communicate via PMs

Well, in a way I can only applaud when the format ad structure of a game compels everyone to actually commit to play, and play actively, rather than coasting, and that, if coasting, that their absence costs their side; perhaps this will help motivate a more active form of participation in general. It is no secret that players coasting is something that has irked me somewhat in some of the WW games.

However, the level of participation and commitment required is considerable - and is something that seems to need to be sustained throughout the game, as well.

Apart from @twietee, I'm not sure whether anyone else from Europe has decided to join.

In any case, I'll watch with interest; it would be nice to see a more evenly balanced game, one were the odds were more evenly matched with rule tweaks.

Good luck with it.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
TechGod has problems with some deadlines as well as far as I know. But we manage ;)

Last game was a bit flexible with the deadlines and I for one wouldn't complain if ravenvii keeps it that floaty way. Nothing excessive, but since almost every single vote counts it'll be a pity if we'd lose one match because someone got unintentionally kept away from the internet.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
TechGod has problems with some deadlines as well as far as I know. But we manage ;)

Last game was a bit flexible with the deadlines and I for one wouldn't complain if ravenvii keeps it that floaty way. Nothing excessive, but since almost every single vote counts it'll be a pity if we'd lose one match because someone got unintentionally kept away from the internet.

i agree.
i think some flexibility is essential.
last game i was actually in europe for half of the game, but the problem was not so much the timezone, as the fact that most of the time i had no possibility of logging in, or i could just log in for a superquick check, enough for a vote, but not too much more

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Being bogged down by the aftermath of mid year exams plus whacky deadlines never helps participation:p
This should be a fun game now that I have a slightly better handle on it.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
highly interesting move, msciv.
I'm still waiting for Fenris to present his list though..

edit: wait, you guys haven't got your pm's yet?!

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
My list? I thought Moyank was first to sign up and we haven't been given a mission yet.

according to the OP you go first.
i suppose raven randomized the order?

anyways, once the game starts we will know more

EDIT: raven is probably still recovering from 4th july celebrations...
ours was a blast.
fireworks just outside the windows. great show :cool:

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Can we do "Ochi and Nai" instead of "Nay 'n Yay"? That's all I hear all day every day, ochi here nai there. Might as well do something useful with it.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Can we do "Ochi and Nai" instead of "Nay 'n Yay"? That's all I hear all day every day, ochi here nai there. Might as well do something useful with it.

Problem is, there could be no small amount of serious confusion with this, offered, as it is, as an option outside of the Hellenic Republic.

Intuitively, and phonetically, most people would - as a matter of course - assume that 'nai' means 'no', rather than the 'yes' it actually means in that language and that context.

And that means for a responding loudly echoing negative one has to reach for 'ochi', which, when in a state other than strict sobriety, might not always be the easiest of options…...

Last edited:
Reactions: twietee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.