Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
1gb is only a number, the iPhone runs fine, but ipad is in need for more ram. I'm certain the os could use the flash storage instead as ram and that would be almost as fast anyway.

I'm sure there would be a reason for the choice if there is no increase there will be a software solution.

No. That is not how SSDs and RAM work.

Software solutions are in use - see my earlier post, but it's not a magical solution that can be relied on for eternity.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I've never hit a RAM ceiling on my iPhone and I use it heavily. The only exception was when I jailbroke it. But then it acted like an Android phone (crashy, laggy, memory leaks, etc.) so I reverted back. Had zero memory issues since. It appears your need for more RAM stems from having a jailbroken iPhone, which makes your request irrelevant.
That may be true in your case but RAM is an issue on all iOS devices. IOS 8 seems to improve RAM handling (Safari seems better) but you still run into the dreaded reloads, crashes and loss of data switching between apps.

So don't blame jail breaking here, I've never jail broken and still run into these issues.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Just a thought.

Maybe since they aren't introducing a new iPhone C Phone.

They will be introducing a low end iPhone 6.

2 YEAR CONTRACT PRICES SHOWN

8GB iPhone 5C - Free (Last years iPhone 5C with 8GB of ram)

The new "C" category - Low-end iPhone

16GB 1GB Ram A8, *8MP Camera, 4.7" Gorilla Glass Display iPhone 6- $99

Flagship iPhone 6 Lineup

64GB 2GB Ram A8, 13MP Camera, 4.7" Saphire Display iPhone 6 - $199

128GB 2GB Ram A8, 13MP Camera, 4.7" Saphire Display iPhone 6 - $299

64GB 2GB Ram A8, 13MP Camera, 5.5" Saphire Display iPhone 6 - $299

128GB 2GB Ram A8, 13MP Camera, 5.5" Saphire Display iPhone 6 - $399

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I can't hear that anymore..... Why on earth would only the 5.5'' get high end specs? You do realize that Apple's current flagship phone is 4''?
Apple isn't stupid - the 4.7'' and the 5.5'' will have high end specs.

I bet they won't.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
[sarcasm]Even though it won't affect performance in any way, I am so pissed![end sarcasm]

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Just a thought.

Flagship iPhone 6 Lineup

Interesting... an iPhone 6C essentially. 10 more days to find out!

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Over time you realize the apps you use are constantly closing, you may be doing something in an app and then switch to another to check something, come back and realize everything you wrote is gone and the app is reloading. It's infuriating sometimes, especially when using something in safari, like to respond to a macrumors post. That time we have to wait for our 3rd or 4th last-used-app is annoying. Facebook and safari almost always have to be reloaded on my ipad Air. I'm limited to multitasking with 2-4 apps. That's hardly multitasking.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I was thinking that this wasn't a particularly big deal but this does happen to me all the time, so now I understand why people are upset. Hopefully Apple does give it a bump, I was wondering why my apps kept reloading all the time.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
1 GB of RAM!!! Oh my gosh!!!

Quit your whining, people... This probably isn't the actual motherboard that will arrive in the next iPhone. :rolleyes:

UpperQuadrant

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2014
First obvious "hold back" for the 6s?

But hey: we're going to get "thinner" again!

Apple typically uses the same case format for several product releases before they make any significant changes. Look at history. The iPhone 4 looks just like the 4S. The iPhone 5 looks just like a lengthened 4/4S due to screen size and the 5S looks like the 5. Same thing with their desktops and laptops, etc. They simply use the majority of the case design for several product revs.

The 6S or the second gen will just have what they couldn't/wouldn't do in the iPhone 6. Some features might be deal breakers, some might not.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
This is quite surprising with such a powerful CPU and so little RAM. Sometimes I just pull out my macbook to browse simply because my iPhone/iPad keeps refreshing my tabs.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Interesting... an iPhone 6C essentially. 10 more days to find out!

Makes sense, considering it appears they removed 32GB from the lineup. It would be weird for an iPhone 6 flagship lineup to offer, 16GB, 64Gb and 128GB. The 16GB could be reserved for a low end model.

We also have heard that not all models will receive Saphire displays.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
AWESOME!

Time for all of the "if it doesn't have 2GB of RAM I'm leaving" folks to jump ship I guess eh? Nice knowin ya...

Of course, sadly, they'll all stay. It'll now be "if the 6S doesn't have 2GB I'll leave... for REAL this time!" :p

Reloading Safari tabs and the once in a blue moon crash (and that's really all it is... it certainly isn't "widespread") are NOT enough reason to go overkill on the RAM. Sure it may only cost Apple a dollar a unit, but that's millions of dollars. They have stockholders to answer to, and face it, 99.99% of users will be FINE with 1GB of RAM.

Excited to see they are blending the antenna bands too. It still may not be my favorite cosmetic choice, but it's in no way going to deter ANYone, from buying one.

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
Just a thought.

Flagship iPhone 6 Lineup

Dude you're smoking some good stuff........

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
So the competing note 4 will either have 3gb(like the note 3) or even have 4gb of ram(which would make sense if it launches with 64bit). But the iphone 6 will be something special with 1gb of ram, seriously apple?

And the iPhone 6 will STILL run better and deliver a smoother user experience than the Note 4. When are people going to realize that RAM does not instantly mean a phone runs better. I've had several Android phones previously, including the Note 3, that were supposed to be "powerhouses" and still delivered the most inconsistent and choppy user experience. I can tell you from experience that the iPhone specs have never been on par with other competing devices but they do not need to be.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
1GB of RAM on an iPhone is no issue. On an iPad, it's an issue.

Luckily, I only have the iPhone so this doesn't bother me!

Yep, given the suggestions of iPad specific iOS enhancements (like multi-window/panel), I’d have more preference for 2GB on the iPad.

So would there be any precedence of Apple releasing an alternate A-series chip about one month after rolling out a new one so that the coming iPads can go to 2GB while these new iPhones stay at 1GB.

Or do we see this as it implies: that the new iPads will use the same chip?

There was the A5 derived A5X that was used in the 3rd gen iPad, combined with 1GB RAM, where the previous use of the A5 was 512MB in the 4S and 5th gen iPod Touch. We’ve seen different clock speeds between the two device families as well.

If Apple introduces a multi-window UI only on the iPad flavor of iOS, I think that’s the start of more divergence between the two product lines, including hardware.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Apple typically uses the same case format for several product releases before they make any significant changes. Look at history. The iPhone 4 looks just like the 4S. The iPhone 5 looks just like a lengthened 4/4S due to screen size and the 5S looks like the 5. Same thing with their desktops and laptops, etc. They simply use the majority of the case design for several product revs.

The 6S or the second gen will just have what they couldn't/wouldn't do in the iPhone 6. Some features might be deal breakers, some might not.

The "thinner" comment was a joke about priorities of "thinner" over a consumer utility benefit like "more RAM". The point of my post was that the 6s might get the 2GB RAM. It had nothing to do with a potential case change.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
So the competing note 4 will either have 3gb(like the note 3) or even have 4gb of ram(which would make sense if it launches with 64bit). But the iphone 6 will be something special with 1gb of ram, seriously apple?
Android phones do require a lot more RAM simply because Android is less efficient with memory, especially android apps that aren't generally optimized for a specific handset.

1GB on the next iPad would be a mistake, but 1GB on a smartphone is acceptable.

It cracks me up whenever people have this silly notion that their phone somehow needs 4GB of RAM. lol. You really have never examined how much memory the phone uses even when it's playing max-spec video games, have you?

The android phone makers have engaged in this ridiculous spec war where they add in more cores to the CPU and add in ridiculous amounts of RAM, but the funny thing is that in the most important benchmark (single threaded CPU performance) the iPhone absolutely decimates every android phone out there.

Edd.Dantes

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
As disappointed as I am, it's important to note that the iPhone operates fine on 1 GB. It's really the iPad that needs more for safari. But I agree, this will hold the iPhone back from becoming more than it is currently. Software can only be so advanced when running with limited RAM.

If Apple keeps being stingy on RAM, it would be really nice if virtual memory was added to iOS.

As disappointed as I am, it's important to note that the iPhone operates fine on 1 GB. It's really the iPad that needs more for safari. But I agree, this will hold the iPhone back from becoming more than it is currently. Software can only be so advanced when running with limited RAM.

If Apple keeps being stingy on RAM, it would be really nice if virtual memory was added to iOS.

I hate to use the term "power user" but some of us use these phones to their maximum potential and 1GB is not even remotely enough memory.

It's archaic, if true, and if I were not switching to ATT, I would gladly boycott their, beyond, ridiculous decision.

They may look at most of their customers as sheep but to many of us, they are just adding straws to the camels back.

If you can argue with my statement, it just means you are not using your phone enough. People need to stop using the "640K of memory is enough" mentality and join the rest of is in, what is almost, 2015 #
This phone will carry Apple through 4GB Android phones. No, iOS 8 optimizations are NOT enough. iOS iterations will not solve memory problems. More memory will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.