Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
Would probably expand over time to be based on my focus modes as well, but for now, I set this up;
  1. Get current song
  2. if current song has any value
    1. add current song to playlist x
  3. otherwise
    1. recognise music (Shazam) -- also saves to library
    2. if recognise music doesn't have any value
      1. open shazam

Bkfraiders7

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
Couldn’t decide what I wanted so set mine up as a list. Will likely make it “smarter” so it’s not just another Notification Center

Text my fiance

Set Do Not Disturb (Based on location)

Orientation Lock

Ring Silent Mode

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 290

Bkfraiders7

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
So these trigger more shortcuts?

Do you stack them on top of a conditional based on focus modes?
These trigger the appropriate actions, and those actions are shortcuts. In my case, this could be a toggle (Silent/Ringer/orientation), an action (Text my Fiance), and turn on Focus Mode (I plan on making this smarter to check time of day/my location)

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
These trigger the appropriate actions, and those actions are shortcuts. In my case, this could be a toggle (Silent/Ringer/orientation), an action (Text my Fiance), and turn on Focus Mode (I plan on making this smarter to check time of day/my location)
Feel like posting the steps?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Would probably expand over time to be based on my focus modes as well, but for now, I set this up;
  1. Get current song
  2. if current song has any value
    1. add current song to playlist x
  3. otherwise
    1. recognise music (Shazam) -- also saves to library
    2. if recognise music doesn't have any value
      1. open shazam
Very clever!

Reactions: dhruveonmars

irod87

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
I’m going to set mine to open the Apple TV remote. I use that pretty often.

dhruveonmars

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2011
UK
I’m not following… is this just to auto-Shazam a song you hear?
first it detects if music is playing a song - and adds it to my library one is playing -- means I don't have to open the music app to save a song to my library. useful when playing radio, playlist from someone else, etc...
otherwise, if no song is playing, then it tries to Shazam it (and add to the library)

mike1123

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
first it detects if music is playing a song - and adds it to my library one is playing -- means I don't have to open the music app to save a song to my library. useful when playing radio, playlist from someone else, etc...
otherwise, if no song is playing, then it tries to Shazam it (and add to the library)
Ah, got it. So it’s like a catch all to add music to your library. Very cool. Thanks!

Reactions: dhruveonmars

UnjustifiedBot

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2008
USA
Could you share it? Thanks.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Reactions: missingar

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
The Apple keynote was odd because it leads you into thinking the action button is still a silence & action button

You can't do both which is a real pain. If your playing a game you cant turn the sound on without swiping down the control centre and losing connection to the game

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
The Apple keynote was odd because it leads you into thinking the action button is still a silence & action button

You can't do both which is a real pain. If your playing a game you cant turn the sound on without swiping down the control centre and losing connection to the game
You can always assign double or triple tap if you wanted via a shortcut

Reactions: UnjustifiedBot

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005

I fully agree, I though it was a tap and hold which gives you two actions, but no, it’s only a hold for one action

You can always assign double or triple tap if you wanted via a shortcut

How do you do that? I don’t understand how shortcuts work.

Reactions: UnjustifiedBot

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023
Couldn’t decide what I wanted so set mine up as a list. Will likely make it “smarter” so it’s not just another Notification Center

Text my fiance

Set Do Not Disturb (Based on location)

Orientation Lock

Ring Silent Mode

How do you do that? Did I miss the setting? I would love a list like that.

Last edited:

aspenextreme03

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2021
I fully agree, I though it was a tap and hold which gives you two actions, but no, it’s only a hold for one action

How do you do that? I don’t understand how shortcuts work.
Create shortcut (if you want to do the mute) then go to settings, accessibility, touch and then back tap (all the way at the bottom). You can assign 2 different ones.

As an example I assign double tap to take a screen shot. Hope that helps and very useful “hidden” feature I guess.

Think of shortcuts as actions. If I do this, then do this. Kind of like programming in excel but can be very basic. iE if I double tap mute, if I triple tap unmute. Not 100% like that but a high level example

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.