Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sankids

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2016
Silent & Game & DND & Camera Action Button

I think I have found my perfect action button set up by setting it to a custom shortcut which does a particular function in each different device orientation as following:

- Landscape right = open camera app (because it’s a natural finger on shutter position)
- Landscape left = toggle gaming focus mode (because when gaming we normally have dynamic island on the left to prevent our right palm from blocking the speakers and left thumb can easily press the action button)
- Face down = toggle do not disturb focus mode (to seamlessly silent all notifications, especially across device during those important work/school presentations!)
- All other positions = toggle silent mode on or off (so the button is still the OG silent toggle we need)

To setup, install the Actions app to power up your shortcuts interactions : https://apps.apple.com/th/app/actions/id1586435171

Then download the shortcut and allow access and enjoy! https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/7ef4ac07b9ad43af95fb54b5ca8242d5

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Just posted this on an article, didn’t realise there was a forum post for it.

This shortcut, using nested ‘Choose from Menu’ actions works well for me - quick access to my favourite shortcuts and useful remotes for my fan and diffuser :)

Any thoughts on how to make it better?

Reactions: Ryan1524

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Mine is a transportation one. I press it and I have options regardless if I’m driving or taking the bus or train.

If I press Ride VM, it pulls up my digital bus pass to scan on the bus or train station.

Lock car and unlock car run shortcuts to lock and unlock my car!

Edit: New Menu setup!

Attachments

• IMG_0097.png
    IMG_0097.png
    877.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Hansana

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2014
Single action button press opens my garage roller door. Another press will close it. Basically my clicker. Love it. I use it multiple times a day.

Reactions: mjschabow

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
any tips on how to set location based shortcuts actions for the action button?

I’d like to open a specific app when I’m at my home address, a voice note recording when at work (one of the default action button options) and the camera app anywhere else.

But I’m clueless how to work the if otherwise end if parts of the shortcuts app

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
any tips on how to set location based shortcuts actions for the action button?
Do you connect to WiFi at home and work? This would be the easiest differentiator.
IMG_1633.jpeg

Otherwise, I'd suggest "Get distance from current location to ***"
And then "If distance is less than xx"

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Do you connect to WiFi at home and work? This would be the easiest differentiator.
View attachment 2291638

Otherwise, I'd suggest "Get distance from current location to ***"
And then "If distance is less than xx"
So for the ‘if network details’ is ___ I put my own WiFi network name? This is probably really obvious stuff but I can’t wrap my head around the code like text 😂

Thanks for the suggestion I may try just the WiFi for work and camera app for all others and not bother with the work setup. At work I’m often not on any WiFi so the WiFi method wouldn’t work.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
@Lotuskid , yes, type your home WiFi name directly into the field.
If not connected to this network, then check the distance to your work location like in the attached screenshot.
Of course you could use location/distance to determine your home as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpeg
    IMG_1634.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: Lotuskid

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
If not connected to this network, then check the distance to your work location like in the attached screenshot.
This was very helpful thank you so much internet stranger/fellow macrumors user! I’ll play around with it and let you know how it goes!

Reactions: arw

maverick786us

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
Let’s hear your best uses for the action button with a Siri shortcut!

1. I will use it to enable Camera, there are occasions when I request someone to take my picture or record video, without unlocking the screen using passcode or face ID.
2. I will use it for Shazam

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
1. I will use it to enable Camera, there are occasions when I request someone to take my picture or record video, without unlocking the screen using passcode or face ID.
2. I will use it for Shazam
There is a button for the camera on the Lock Screen or you can just swipe to the left to launch it without unlocking instead.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
There is a button for the camera on the Lock Screen or you can just swipe to the left to launch it without unlocking instead.

I know that, I am a techie so I can use those options in Lock Screen to open camera interface. But my old man who owns an iPhone 14 Pro, he finds it difficult to invoke that interface from the locked screen. Similarly my wife owns a Galaxy S23 Ultra, She finds difficult to invoke that interface from the lock screen and there are several people whom I come across on my day to day life who struggle with it.

vinsalducci

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2016
I know that, I am a techie so I can use those options in Lock Screen to open camera interface. But my old man who owns an iPhone 14 Pro, he finds it difficult to invoke that interface from the locked screen. Similarly my wife owns a Galaxy S23 Ultra, She finds difficult to invoke that interface from the lock screen and there are several people whom I come across on my day to day life who struggle with it.
Additionally, the action button activation for the camera is hugely helpful if the phone is unlocked and you're using it. The camera icon is often hidden in the control panel, and a photogenic moment may have passed by the time the user opens it.

I've found the camera feature to the action button incredibly useful. I have a shortcut that changes the use for the button based on the orientation of the phone when the button is pressed. It's an absolute game changer. I've shared that shortcut here, earlier in this thread.

Reactions: maverick786us

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Of course you could use location/distance to determine your home as well.
just a quick follow up, the wifi connection worked like a charm, now when it recognizes my home wifi it'll open the hue app, and anywhere else opens the camera app. i haven't yet tried the location based step for work but will give it a shot as well. pretty cool, and adds some extra functionality for me since the hue app i specifically use several times a day but only when i'm home and don't need to open it typically outside

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
i have mine
- check current focus
- if Sleep -runs another shortcut -it dims my bedroom light and turn it blue (hue), then switches the audio output to my homepod, starts my favorite mix in apple music, lowers the volume and starts an hour timer to stop the music
-if Daytime -runs another shortcut -if i have phone in portrait it opens camera, if landscape right it opens procam, if landscape left it opens halide (with all these it also turns on assistive touch which i have set to one tap raises volume, so i have a floating shutter button) and if face up it goes to home screen and turns off assistive touch.

i have a morning focus and evening focus that also follow the daytime actions. every focus has different screens. like morning doesn’t have my games page, evening shows a page with all my streaming apps, etc.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Tips for people, you can make it a conditional thing where the button operates differently depending on your location

I use a dictionary for it, instead of actually running the current location services, since that is slow and probably wastes battery every time the button is pressed.

The dictionary goes true if you leave and false when I arrive. Use the location automation to update those.

Reactions: Someirishguy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.