Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I would love to drop Flash but unfortunately HTML5 audio support is practically nonexistent at this point in time.

This will change of course, I just hope it doesn't take too long. Damn W3C takes forever to do anything.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I would love to drop Flash but unfortunately HTML5 audio support is practically nonexistent at this point in time.

This will change of course, I just hope it doesn't take too long. Damn W3C takes forever to do anything.

They're planning a standard that will affect the biggest community in the world. Taking their time will ensure a better experience for everybody. Its not like they make stuff up off the top of their head.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
C is the best tradeoff so far for high performance-yet-hardware-agnostic programming language. Obj-C and C++ are built on top of that to support the more modern objective-oriented paradigm. Script kiddies just want to get away with having their "code" run somehow on every platform available at the expense of efficiency. Let the user buy more expensive hardware to justify your sloppiness. That's the Adobe way, exposed on every release of the ever more spec-demanding and bloated Creative Suite.

I am considering learning some ARM assembly to pin-point optimize critical parts of my code. I want my apps to run as smooth as possible. A couple more hours of my work to save milliseconds in every user's hardware pays off for me.

I'm totally with Steve on this one.

I was talking about Jobs's point about old equals bad. Probably did it in the wrong thread though.

With regards to people not programming in C, C++, Obj-C being lazy or incompetent, that's an opinion you'll see a lot here but rarely in professional developer circles. I'm a "the right tool for the job" kinda guy, and sometimes Ruby is the right tool, although it's two factors of magnitude slower than Java and has garbage collection. Sometimes Flash is the right tool. I say, let the users decide, not Steve Jobs.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
They're planning a standard that will affect the biggest community in the world. Taking their time will ensure a better experience for everybody. Its not like they make stuff up off the top of their head.

Yeah I know that...but this has been coming for 10 years so I hardly think my comment is unjustified. It's the whole reason people had to use Flash for web apps in the first place. I never wanted to use Flash for anything except for when vector animation was needed, but had no choice.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Er....this has been coming for 10 years so I hardly think my comment is unjustified.

The internet is the king of snails.

20830.jpg

RZetlin

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
If Apple is not supporting flash, then would it be supporting their competitors?

Would Apple end up supporting Microsoft Silverlight?

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Just to send another point here for my fellow forumers.

Iphone SDK is available at 99 dollars and you can create up to anything from news message to games and video and stuff.

While if you want to program anything in flash, you need the Flash program that is non-upgrading version and whopping 300 dollars?

SDK offers wide range of things you could do with their program and is even less expensive then Flash, but flash offers way less.

...Or you can use Flex which is free.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
That has nothing to do with it; Have a look at webkit and cups. Just two examples. Really free and open. Without a [patent] licensing fee.

We clearly have different opinions, but the fact remains that browser vendors can do what they want. That is how it works. And we're not discusing Mozilla here, or their moves, but Apple's view on the matter. Yes H.264 is great but these patent licensing royalties are not.

And why can't you accept the fact that there are people [here] who don't like software patents... just like you obviously have issues with GNU philosophers. Maybe for the wrong reasons, but you are entitled to have and express your own opinion here. Just like other people. Thank you.
Gizmodo or engadget did a break down of how the web would be affected by formats, and from what I remember they said if everyone went the mozilla route there wouldn't be enough storage or processing power available because of .ogg not being efficient or something like that. I'll try to find it.

madjsp

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
The best part about this is Jobs' interview was very open to the regard why he feels that adobe is closed. He gave explanation to each of his arguments.

The Adobe CEO just attacked and criticized everything Jobs said. This is why he will come out looking worse in the end.

Ride9650

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Two points. It will happen and how would flash allow you to play gettheglass on a device without a mouse. The game would need significant rewriting anyway (If you have actually played any of the mini-games in it, you would understand).

????? What???????

I think you missed my point. I wasn't even talking specifically about "get the glass", that was just an example!

I was talking about how flash will probably be replaced in terms of common web dev stuff, video, nav-bars, etc... but that it is pretty much still the top dog in creating really mind blowing experiences on the web.

I never said the change wouldn't happen, just that it'd take some time. Until. javascript and CSS can catch up to making the stuff I linked to or this site

http://ecodazoo.com/

flash will undoubtedly still be around

And how would have playing a mini-game offered any significant insight into programming techniques?????

For the record flash supports multi-touch both natively and through a third-party library.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoYHawCWDO8

And also, keep in mind of the 100 apps in the App store.
(Not a lot, I know I know, but thats not the point)

axual

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
No matter ...

Apple wins on this one ... Flash is slick looking, but it is not the right development platform for mobile devices and Adobe knows it. Adobe also forgets about millions of people still on dial-up modems where Flash appls take time to download. Adobe needs to reset, and focus on a solution for a different world.

Sai Zelion

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Microsoft also says: HTML 5 is the future!

Where Steve Jobs leads, Microsoft follows -- how's that for shaking up the hornet's nest? It's said in jest, of course, but we've just come across a post from the General Manager for Internet Explorer, Dean Hachamovitch, and the perspective expressed by him on the subject of web content delivery broadly agrees with the essay penned by Jobs yesterday on the very same subject. Echoing the Apple CEO's words, Hachamovitch describes HTML5 as "the future of the web," praising it for allowing content to be played without the need for plug-ins and with native hardware acceleration (in both Windows 7 and Mac OS X). He goes on to identify H.264 as the best video codec for the job -- so much so that it'll be the only one supported in IE9's HTML5 implementation -- before turning to the dreaded subject of Flash.

This is where it gets good, because he literally repeats one of Jobs' six pillars of Flash hate: "reliability, security, and performance" are not as good as Microsoft would like them. Where Hachamovitch diverges from Apple's messiah, however, is in describing Flash as an important part of "a good consumer experience on today's web," primarily because it's difficult for the typical consumer to access Flash-free content. Still, it's got to be depressing for Adobe's crew when the best thing either of the two biggest players in tech has to say about your wares is that they're ubiquitous. Wonder how Shantanu Narayen is gonna try and spin this one.

P.S. : it's notable that in multiple paragraphs of discussing "the future," Microsoft's IE general fails to once mention the fabled Silverlight, itself a rich media browser plug-in. Given Silverlight's featured role in the Windows Phone 7 infrastructure and other things like Netflix, we doubt it's on the outs, but there are sure to be some sour faces greeting Hachamovitch this morning.

[Source, ENGADGET]

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Exactly. The "other guy" is even less charismatic than Steve Ballmer.

Haha... I was just thinking to myself, "This guy is less charismatic than _______" but wasn't sure what word to put in the blank.

Adobe needs a better spokesperson, but I won't complain. As a web developer I *HATE* flash.

Once IE supports the Canvas specification, I will be able to drop flash totally.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Note: Mozilla won't ever implement H.264 simply because it ain't open; Real open formats come without a license fee!

But nobody knows for sure that OGG is completely free. A lot of experts think[/] that it is, but it's a complex technology and there may be submarine patents.

I'm not saying h.264 is any better. At least we know what the IP is there, even if it is commercial and may become expensive in the future (it's actually licensed at no cost currently).

But HTML5 video is an unsolved issue.

And now about the claim made about the [lack of] speed and [reduced] battery life; You [Apple] are guilty for not supporting other vendors; Apple only recently gave other people access to this new API (with Snow Leopard 10.6) and still for a limited number of graphics cards only.

I have no idea what you're talking about. OpenCL?? That has absolutely nothing to do with flash performance. OpenGL?? That has been around for decades, Apple has supported for over a decade, and developers have been using it on multiple platforms for over a decade.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
The ironic thing about Pro Apps, they all have that bland grey look...

That's because real pros don't want flashy UI to distract them from the actual content. It's one of the reasons why creative pros prefer Macs over Windows - Apple did research long ago that showed spare use of colour for only fine details results in more productive users than just splashing colour everywhere. People think of MacOS X as candy coloured but just look, it's only used on window controls and buttons. Contrast that with the Fisher-Price inspired Windows XP interface or Luna.

Also note that in the Appearance settings in MacOS X there is still the Graphite theme - many Mac users I know go and set this first when getting a new Mac.

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
Also note that in the Appearance settings in MacOS X there is still the Graphite theme - many Mac users I know go and set this first when getting a new Mac.

And even Mac users you don't know. Like me. :)

NuMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2003
Eastern Washington
A joke!

Wow, what a public mess!!

Two CEOs of such reputable and large organizations shouldn't get going at it like elementary school kids.

Adobe CEO: Everything Jobs says or thinks is a smokescreen/joke and everything Apple thinks or says is a smokescreen/joke. This solid, fact based response proves that Adobe is right and no changes in our Flash software is needed.

Wow, it sounds logical to me.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
I was talking about Jobs's point about old equals bad. Probably did it in the wrong thread though.

With regards to people not programming in C, C++, Obj-C being lazy or incompetent, that's an opinion you'll see a lot here but rarely in professional developer circles. I'm a "the right tool for the job" kinda guy, and sometimes Ruby is the right tool, although it's two factors of magnitude slower than Java and has garbage collection. Sometimes Flash is the right tool. I say, let the users decide, not Steve Jobs.

Well, for one, old doesn't always mean obsolete. The C family of languages has proven very enduring for performance critical applications (Games, anyone?). Some things are too specific to a timeframe (e.g., quick'n'dirty animations for the emerging web through a proprietary plugin architecture), become obsolete and fade out. Others not.

As for the "right tool for the job" I completely agree with you. RoR, PHP are the best tools for the web. And the "right tool" for making iPhone games is CocoaTouch/Cocos2D/OpenGL. I don't think it's wise that some guy with experience dropping some script lines on that frame of the timeline or this MovieClip should hog the limited iPhone resources with a quick, write-once-run-everywhere port.

And, I think the users have been deciding already...

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
That's because real pros don't want flashy UI to distract them from the actual content. It's one of the reasons why creative pros prefer Macs over Windows - Apple did research long ago that showed spare use of colour for only fine details results in more productive users than just splashing colour everywhere. People think of MacOS X as candy coloured but just look, it's only used on window controls and buttons. Contrast that with the Fisher-Price inspired Windows XP interface or Luna.

Specially if you are working with color as an object (Image, Video edition), you want your color in the Canvas, NOT in the UI.

Microsoft knows crap about UI, UX or esthetics, and they never will. Their corporate customer base doesn't demand it. Windows 7 could be 100 times better than SL and I still wouldn't think one microsecond. Having to deal every day, every second with that uglyness, awkwardness is way more counterproductive. I want to enjoy my life and my work as much as I can.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
One thing's for sure: Once Farmville gets ported to HTML5/Javascript, Flash is DEAD. :D

why can't they make it native C++? only reason they went Flash was the quick dev time when you don't have any cash flow and to get it on facebook easily. now that facebook is changing and they are making money like crazy, there is no reason why they can't go C++

chris200x9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2006
Narayen again returned to his claim that Flash is an open standard
yes that is why I cannot run flash in say dragonflybsd. Cross platform !=open stanard! Also I have been thinking about this, does adobe really make money of flash player lisencing, or is it just a vehicale for selling flash? If it's the latter why don't they just open source it? It would give flash a bigger marketshare and sell more product.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
Backwards

From the beginning, the main complaint should have been that Flash causes a lot of buggy problems. Apple-product buying customers are basically members of the general public, a group we know to be pretty dumb. They really do have to be told what they want. In this case, they don't want Flash, because those internet games they think they want to play will crash.

Adobe is in the wrong here. If Flash were adequately reliable, this would have been a non-issue from day one. Jobs was wrong to say anything about proprietary vs open. Nobody cares about H264. Idiot consumers want Flash games. The push should be for more reliable Flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.