Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I want to see Adobe put out a proper flash player for OSX.
If Mr. Adobe :) is reading this please , please put out a new flash player that works on a MBA.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
apple can go ahead and thank adobe for another user not updating to snow leopard now..

as a student using tiger, i could barely justify purchasing full retail SL, and now that I'll have to add CS4 to the mix, this is a no go.

Are you deliberately not reading the posts where people say their CS3 is working with SL.

Did someone plant a mass hysteria script in the Macrumors forum this morning ?

Untwist the panties, girls. :D

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
I know I'm currently wondering if I should upgrade to SL or CS4. I run CS3 and I am not in the mood to buy CS4 for the same reason someone noted above, it's a minor update.
That depends on what and how much you do with it.

I *LOVE* CS4. Photoshop CS3–CS4 is a good (arguably not "major") upgrade, Illustrator's Blob Brush is great (although it could be improved upon), the new UI is a big improvement, and Flash CS4 is wonderful if you want to work with AI files, not draw everything in Flash.

For me, a bunch of modest improvements in every single program I use on a regular basis was absolutely worth the cost.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
That's pretty insulting. You want to take a breath and take your foot out ?

So you're holding Adobe to a different standard than Apple ? I guess there are no Adobe cultists. :D

You can see into the future ? Way to go, Jackson. You da man. :cool:

1) If someone still uses a PPC Mac as their main machine, yes, they are cheap. I just bought my dad a closeout previous version C2D 2.0 Mac Mini for $400. So I stand by my statement, if you are holding on to a PPC for anything other than nostalgia you are cheap... probably proudly so.

2) I'm not sure how I'm holding Apple to a different standard than Adobe. Care to clarify? In fact I said I understand Adobe's position on CS3. Clearly you don't understand Apple's on SL though.

3) You don't need to be a soothsayer to see Apple's continued growth in the computer market with the under-the-hood improvements in SL. Not having to support two types of vastly different processors frees up a lot of coders and R&D. That is just obvious.

Ropie

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
England
I have been using CS3 on Snow Leopard 10A432 for about two weeks now and have noticed no problems. On my MBP everything seems fine. That said, the lack of support is symptomatic of the constant push to upgrade.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Well I understand Adobe's move. Someone else mentioned a good point. Adobe with CS3 was hit with the Intel switch and then with CS4 was told their 64 carbon would no longer be supported forcing them to give us a watered down version of the CS Suite. I work in an industry where we have around 1000 CS suite licenses and we upgrade at a moments notice. This is Adobe's core and most professional companies know this is part of owning professional grade software. You have to stay cutting edge both on hardware and software. Its the nature of the beast.

For my testing CS3 and CS4 have been marvelous under SL.

My question to those that neg'd this thread. Do you feel the same way when Apple forces PowerPC users to upgrade or they discontinue things because they feel its not important? Food for thought. Don't forget Adobe isn't home software.

Oh yeah I can't stand Adobe I am not sticking up for them, I more or less just understand.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
1) If someone still uses a PPC Mac as their main machine, yes, they are cheap.

Keep digging. :D

2) I'm not sure how I'm holding Apple to a different standard than Adobe. Care to clarify? In fact I said I understand Adobe's position on CS3. Clearly you don't understand Apple's on SL though.

With regards to backward capability. Sure I understand it. I've been selling Macs for four years. How about you ?

http://blog.fosketts.net/2009/08/24/mac-os-106-snow-leopard-hands-august-28/

3) You don't need to be a soothsayer to see Apple's continued growth in the computer market with the under-the-hood improvements in SL. Not having to support two types of vastly different processors frees up a lot of coders and R&D. That is just obvious.

Maybe, maybe not. It's not going to be OSX vs. Vista this time around. Apple is going from the "300 amazing new features" in Leopard to, uh, "SL is faster and more stable" Wow !

Success is never obvious or carved in stone. Have you used W7 ?

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
1) If someone still uses a PPC Mac as their main machine, yes, they are cheap. I just bought my dad a closeout previous version C2D 2.0 Mac Mini for $400. So I stand by my statement, if you are holding on to a PPC for anything other than nostalgia you are cheap... probably proudly so.

What about those who own Quad G5s maxed out with Gigs of RAM? To get an equivalent macpro with the same is not an inexpensive undertaking. You're only thinking of your situation not that of a lots of other people. This constant push from Apple to buy new, buy new is annoying. See QuickTimeX only doing hardware video acceleration on the 9600 cards and up for another great example.

Chimpy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2007
I'd be amazed if CS3 didn't work. Sure, it might have some quirks, but I'd guess that'll it work mostly fine.

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
John Nack seems to have updated his post from earlier today and contradicts the headline of this article:

No one said anything about CS3 being "not supported" on Snow Leopard. The plan, however, is not to take resources away from other efforts (e.g. porting Photoshop to Cocoa) in order to modify 2.5-year-old software in response to changes Apple makes in the OS foundation.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/08/adobe_snow_leopard_faq.html

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
You have got to be kidding me.

Adobe, listen up. CS4 offered me nothing as an upgrade over CS3. But I do plan the next round of upgrades.

You screw me over on this and I will NEVER buy another adobe product. Totally freaking unacceptable.

CaptSaltyJack

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
I saw some hate directed towards Fireworks CS4. Someone please tell me why Fireworks is so bad. For creating buttons, icons, and graphical elements for web pages, Fireworks is great due to its mix of vector + bitmap. Someone please recommend something better (non-Adobe) and I'll gladly check it out.

EDIT: Ugh, just PM me if you have an answer.. I've got to unsubscribe to this thread, it's too spammy.

MacProPIMP

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
CS 3 works

Been running CS3 on build 411. AE, PS, Flash Encoder, premiere pro all ran fine. Adobe be greedy!!!

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
You have got to be kidding me.

Adobe, listen up. CS4 offered me nothing as an upgrade over CS3. But I do plan the next round of upgrades.

You screw me over on this and I will NEVER buy another adobe product. Totally freaking unacceptable.

You really are cherry picking the headlines and not reading 90% of the post aren't you ?

Jeebus, calm down. CS3 is working with SL.

This is worse than if somebody had yelled fire in a theater when somebody farted.

njfuzzy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Boston, MA
Angry

This has me really angry. It's hard not to swear.

It comes down to this. I use Photoshop, a lot. I pay for it, and buy an upgrade every other version or so usually.

This week, I would very much like to install the mid-range (not earth-shaking) OS update from Apple. However, in order to do so and have Photoshop work, I need to pay Adobe $200 to upgrade?

I really feel that Adobe should support recent versions of their major software, on all but the most ground-breaking OS updates. With upgrades for single apps costing $200, it's especially ridiculous. The OS update is only $29!

theROZ

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
Adobe: a bunch of bozos

Adobe has lost their edge again, they haven't done anything of interest since the 90's. I wish Apple would buy up the company and set things right.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
You really are cherry picking the headlines and not reading 90% of the post aren't you ?

Jeebus, calm down. CS3 is working with SL.

This is worse than if somebody had yelled fire in a theater when somebody farted.

Forget it man, I think people just go to the first page and send a reply without actually reading any of the other comments. :confused:

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Photoshop 10.01 (CS3) works absolutely fine for me, I wonder what all the brew-ha-ha is about?
When Adobe stops supporting their software like this various annoying (and sometimes highly frustrating) bugs begin to crop up. It isn't hard to stumble across some which definitely impede your workflow. When I pay $2000 for Adobe Software I want them to offer at least some basic maintenance support for their programs. Instead we're lucky if they ever reach a point where the applications are relatively bug-free. They're released with bugs, they fix some of them, ignore many, and then they let them deteriorate.

I really wish Adobe would release a 'Snow Leopard' update to their suite, focusing on speed, stability, usability, and other refinements, instead of making it buggier, more bloated, and churning out a few decent features with loads of strange random crap.

I sure feel like a chump when I pay to upgrade, especially when one feature I get out of that is the pleasure of dealing with their registration security (which has caused me to reformat good machines a few times), while people pirating their rubbish get to enjoy it scott free no matter what Adobe does.

It seems really low to charge that much for software and fail to even keep up with at least the most troublesome of bugs... and history tells me that those bugs *will* be cropping up in CS3.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Adobe has a lock on my field, unfortunately, but their software has become buggy and mediocre--power hiding behind a flawed interface. And yet it's expensive, with complex bundles (combining old and new apps regardless of development cycle) that you have to play games with to guess the best path! And they have complex, burdensome installers and updaters. Meanwhile, upgrades are seldom revolutionary, despite the high prices.

As a result, it's very hard to justify buying every single upgrade. I buy every-other version instead, and am now using CS3 while waiting for CS5, hopefully with long-overdue 64-bit support.

Failing to support just one version old is not acceptable to me. It may stop me from upgrading to Snow Leopard on one of my machines, but it will NOT make me buy CS4 (which still doesn't fix everything wrong with CS3) nor like Adobe any more than before :) (And I used to be a big fan--back when Photoshop was the poster child for rock-solid software.)

I'll be looking for unsupported ways to use CS3 (I'm hopeful) and I'll be looking for alternative apps (I know GIMP is far from perfect, but it might make do for a time on one of my machines, with CS3 on the other).

In short, I don't think Adobe has any legal OBLIGATION to support the prior version. But not doing so is one more example of the mediocre Creative Suite experience. And that in turn makes me buy less from Adobe.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Creative Suite is not a software bundle a lot of people can afford to have EVERY version of.

Exactly. Although Creative Suite is targeted toward the creative industry, it's used a lot in smaller businesses (local print and signage shops, party planning, wedding invitations, etc) and for personal use. Let's face it. There's no real alternative to Photoshop. And InDesign and Illustrator have become the defacto standard in their fields also.

There have been some statistics that have shown Photoshop is one of the most pirated pieces of software out there. If Adobe offered Creative Suite for a reasonable price to end-users (say $99 for upgrade, $199 for full), these sort of forced upgrades wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I can pick up any version of photoshop CS and up and it does exactly what I need it to.

That's true also. It seems like every new minor feature Adobe is adding with each new version is just fulfilling a different niche of the creative industry (Photoshop supporting video, 3D modeling, etc). I would bet most CS owners only use the mainstream features that have been around forever.

I know I wouldn't have upgraded from CS to CS 3 if it wasn't for the Intel switch. At $600 to upgrade from CS3 Design Premium to CS4 Design Premium, I think i'll wait this out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.