Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
let me guess… more ******** adobe user interface decisions that aren't applied consistently across panels in the same application, let alone different apps. a couple of useful new features in photoshop, illustrator and flash, a plethora of useless features that suck up RAM and hard drive space which no one will use. the copywriters for fireworks, dreamweaver will continue to have make the lack of any real change sound like a big deal. the cost for individual upgrades will be so absurd you end up buying a suite with 4 apps you don't need, use or want.

the apps will still crash without rhyme or reason, they'll take up more ram and hard drive space and work slower for no discernible reason.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
let me guess… more ******** adobe user interface decisions that aren't applied consistently across panels in the same application, let alone different apps. a couple of useful new features in photoshop, illustrator and flash, a plethora of useless features that suck up RAM and hard drive space which no one will use. the copywriters for fireworks, dreamweaver will continue to have make the lack of any real change sound like a big deal. the cost for individual upgrades will be so absurd you end up buying a suite with 4 apps you don't need, use or want.

the apps will still crash without rhyme or reason, they'll take up more ram and hard drive space and work slower for no discernible reason.

Starting to sound like the complaints about MS Office on the Mac. But at least one gets the sense that MS is really trying with Office 2011.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Awesome! A new version of Flash to make Flash animations and videos that can't be seen on the iPad or iPhone :D

If you want to see them on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, flip the switch to gen an Apple Application.

If you want videos, don't use Flash. YouTube and other services are already offering non-Flash options.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
The only change I'd like to see is for Adobe to actually make the effort to turn them into real Mac apps and not just a lazy port of the Windows version.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The upgrade cycle frequency for Adobe's apps seems rather excessive. But who are we to deny Mr. Narayen a new boat?

Even if university budgets weren't tight, I can't imagine I'd recommend we upgrade to this.

Adobe Creative Suite 5 - Now 20% bloatier!! Remember, Mr. Narayen needs a new boat!!

FFArchitect

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
Good to see 64-bit finally, but Adobe really does need to trim some bloat out of this suite if they want to protect against competitors -- especially for Photoshop.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
If you want to see them on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, flip the switch to gen an Apple Application.

If you want videos, don't use Flash. YouTube and other services are already offering non-Flash options.

Agreed. I think Flash is the bane of the internet. I'm glad Steve has taken a stand against it.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Adobe charges way too much for over-bloated crap that's not much different from the previous versions. :rolleyes:

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Hopefully CS5 will be more than just moving around toolbars and rearranging pallets which is mostly what CS2-4 seems to have been.

petercooper

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
From the wording, I'm guessing this isn't a launch but a "sneak preview." A bit like the iPad's "release" last month that, well, wasn't a "release" at all. Release date/launch date.. that's the day we can BUY it.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
I've participated in a private beta of several CS5 applications, and I'm not too excited about the final versions. Adobe has lost its way. :(

CS4 has been the worst version we've messed with. More crashes than any other version …half the time my apps crash when quitting. We also have problems saving files on top of top of previous versions, printing booklets to our HP LaserJet from InDesign, and printing PDFs from booklets. For a "snow leopard compatible" set of apps, it sure doesn't feel like it.

Now I'm hearing they are adding stupid crap like Flash export to InDesign … @%!$.

Is any other app in the suite other than Photoshop going 64-bit? (cocoa)

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
1 week until someone starts sending me only CS5 files to say "my upgrade budget is bigger than yours."

Amnak

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Is it just me or does anyone else not have a problem on there Mac with cs4? No crashes, No bloat Issues... I don't know I never noticed slow down and that was on my 07 MBP. Well come to think of it the only program I ever got intense with was photoshop.

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
I like how Illustrator CS4 crashes about 50% of the time upon opening files...adds character.

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
Finally! With 64-bit After Effects and Photoshop can now fully utilize my 24GBs of RAM. I hate it when working on a document it only uses around 3GBs when 70% of ram is under-utilized. Maybe I don't have to make ramdisks. Anyways this is good.

jakebot

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
woot!

This update couldnt come sooner... I'm desperate for After Effects 64bit with all the HD stuff that's going on.

Adobe needs less of these "major" updates and has to stop being so lazy with updating their broken apps. After effects is only at 9.0.2. Two minor updates for an application that crashes many times a day for no reason is disgusting and shows adobe's true colours which is "launch major updates that show new exciting features to gloss over and take attention away from all the broken behind the scenes stuff"

They need to fix what is broken then add more stuff....

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
dang it I just bought after effects cs4 6 months ago. I don't know how this upgrade thing works because I bought my copy at penn state computer store. They said it was the full retail version just at an academic price. Does anyone know how to check if my license is student or full retail???

-On the plus+ looking forward to 64 bit support!!!:D

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
This update couldnt come sooner... I'm desperate for After Effects 64bit with all the HD stuff that's going on.

Adobe needs less of these "major" updates and has to stop being so lazy with updating their broken apps. After effects is only at 9.0.2. Two minor updates for an application that crashes many times a day for no reason is disgusting and shows adobe's true colours which is "launch major updates that show new exciting features to gloss over and take attention away from all the broken behind the scenes stuff"

They need to fix what is broken then add more stuff....

wow you have an 8-core and it crashes???? I have a 2008 macbook 2.4 ghz 4 gig of ram and it has never crashed on me. In fact Apple motion crashes a heck of lot more so i don't even use it and switched to after effects. Then again i'm only using effects with titles and stuff so maybe i'm not doing as much as you are but still... Holy crap get your act together Adobe.

-edit and my graphics card is an intel integrated x3100

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
Amnak said:
Is it just me or does anyone else not have a problem on there Mac with cs4? No crashes, No bloat Issues... I don't know I never noticed slow down and that was on my 07 MBP. Well come to think of it the only program I ever got intense with was photoshop.

I use PS and AE most of the time. I don't recall any CS4 app crashing on me. Actually Flash crashed on me once upon exit. Ironic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.