Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Actually the only thing needed for making iPhone apps is the simulator software. You could just as easily use NetBeans.

Your focus on opensource counterparts obfuscates the main point, which is that Apple controls everything which can be installed on your legal iPhone/iPod/iPad. Adobe does not engage in anything similar.

Plus, you are making an irrelevant point, as evidenced by Tamarin, mentioned by Darkroom.

BTW, why are you not equally disturbed by the proprietary nature of H.264 (in which Apple holds interest)?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Is this because you can't use use Flash, and less people hire you nowadays....? :D

I use CS for personal stuff, which is why the upgrade needs to be pretty compelling to get me to ante up the $1000 upgrade fee. :)

Flash IDEs are proprietary software developed by Adobe, but Flash content is freely accessible and distributed.

While I will state up front that the chances of Adobe deciding to no longer support Flash on the Mac OS is remote, they have stopped development of some of their applications on the Mac platform, at least for a time, (Premiere) and have focused their development efforts on platforms with a larger installed base (Creative Suite for Windows) while letting the Mac product lie fallow for a time.

And because they own the IDE, they could decide that supporting a certain OS is no longer worth the effort (or deny it access for competitive reasons) and then block third-party attempts to provide support through IP and DMCA lawsuits.

I will also state that I am not a "Flash Hater" and I use it day in and day out and neither curse nor hold my nose when I do. It provides a function and I take advantage of it.

But it is a proprietary format controlled by a single company. I'm not against that, either, but I do like the idea of open formats because they are open. When I come across a website that demands I have Silverlight or Flip4Mac installed to view content, that annoys me. And in the interests of fairness, when I was a Windows user, I was equally annoyed coming across websites that demanded I have QuickTime Player installed to view content, as well. :)

jwb787

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2009
So according to ars...CS5 will not ship until May?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/03/adobe-will-reveal-cs5-on.ars

Anyone know if the April 12th day is just the announcement?

-Kevin

April 12th is the official launch date. We'll get official pricing that day, but the 1st day to order is supposed to be April 27th according to our distributor. The downloads should go live on the 27th, but physical media probably won't ship until early May (they're telling us April 30th but they're always behind schedule, especially educational packaging).

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
!=

Plus, you are making an irrelevant point, as evidenced by Tamarin, mentioned by Darkroom.

BTW, why are you not equally disturbed by the proprietary nature of H.264 (in which Apple holds interest)?

Maybe you should re-read what tangent I was replying too.

H.264 is a video codec. It makes a bad analogy for programming languages and SDKs. Even then H264 has an opensource implementation through the X264 project. http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

that's like accusing C or Java development of attempting to create a walled garden. Flash IDEs are proprietary software developed by Adobe, but Flash content is freely accessible and distributed. Flash developers are not forced to submit their work to Adobe for approval, this is even true for Adobe Air developers who want to sell their ActionScript programs via Adobe's Air Marketplace.

Actionscript != Flash. Maybe you should reread what the Tamarin Project is doing. The Tamarin project is only porting the programming language. Not the 'Flash' part.

Opensource isnt a distraction. Its either proprietary or Open(source). Java and C do have/are completely opensource alternatives right down to he accompaning libraries.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Opensource isnt a distraction. Its either proprietary or Open(source). ...

In this case, it is.

The real issue is in the following scenario:

You pay Apple for the iPhone SDK, just like you pay Adobe for Flash.

With the SDK, you create a product. But then, Apple may or may not approve the product you created with their tool. If Apple doesn't approve it, your product is worthless.

Even if Apple approves it, after a while it may change its mind and pull your product.

Without Apple's continuing approval, you cannot offer the product you created to the end users. And the end users cannot obtain your product, even if they are able and willing to pay for it.

And this is the real issue.

-------------

With Adobe's Flash, there are no such problems.

Open source is irrelevant here.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
In this case, it is.

The real issue is in the following scenario:

You pay Apple for the iPhone SDK, just like you pay Adobe for Flash.

With the SDK, you create a product. But then, Apple may or may not approve the product you created with their tool. If Apple doesn't approve it, your product is worthless.

Even if Apple approves it, after a while it may change its mind and pull your product.

Without Apple's continuing approval, you cannot offer the product you created to the end users. And the end users cannot obtain your product, even if they are able and willing to pay for it.

And this is the real issue.

-------------

With Adobe's Flash, there are no such problems.

Open source is irrelevant here.

We weren't talking about Apples closed Ecosystem, we were talking about a different tangent caused by his bad analogy.

Geez. Read, please!

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
We weren't talking about Apples closed Ecosystem, we were talking about a different tangent caused by his bad analogy.

Geez. Read, please!

Geez. Address the relevant issue, please!

Rather than ignoring it and obfuscating it by deflecting about open source....

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Geez. Address the relevant issue, please!

Rather than ignoring it and obfuscating it by deflecting about open source....

I was replying to a tangent. There was no need for you to bring up an argument.

This is MacRumors, there is no relevant issue. Active arguments evolve and change, deal with it. This isn't University with a static argument written in an essay.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm cautiously optimistic.

I wouldn't call myself a power user by any stretch but I do use it and I'm currently on CS3. I've been putting up with various idiosyncrasies that seemed to have cropped up once I moved to Snow Leopard.

The question is, does the new changes justify the steep price for my web premium suite?

Until I see the details, I'll have to wait and hold my breath

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.