Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photoshop-Touch.png
Adobe has announced that it will remove Photoshop Touch for iPhone and iPad from the App Store and other platforms on May 28. The software company says it will be focusing its mobile efforts on other apps in the Creative Cloud suite, including Photoshop Mix, Photoshop Sketch, Adobe Comp CC, Adobe Shape CC, Adobe Brush CC and Adobe Color CC. In total, the software maker has over 50 apps on the App Store.

Adobe also announced that it is working on a new retouching solution for mobile devices called Project Rigel that is expected to be available in late 2015. Adobe product manager Bryan O'Neil Hughes shared a teaser video of the software through an iPad simulator today, demonstrating retouching features and filter effects such as warping, puckering and bloating, reconstructing, recoloring, brightness and contrast.

Article Link: Adobe Removing Photoshop Touch From App Store Next Week

spotlight07

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2007
This is why subscription software is not a good idea.

What if the software is part of your workflow? Sorry.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA

Yep, no more keeping an old machine around with old software just in case you need to work on old projects. Just tell your customer sorry, you have to pay to have everything created again from scratch.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I'm going to be naiavly optimistic and hope that this is because a version that rivals Windows and OS X versions is coming to iPad (launching with the iPad Pro).

I'll see myself out.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Yep, no more keeping an old machine around with old software just in case you need to work on old projects. Just tell your customer sorry, you have to pay to have everything created again from scratch.

Is this article about Apple or Adobe? I’m not sure after reading your comment.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
I love the iPad, but without a proper pen like the surface has (or Wacom tablets have), doing serious art with any precision on the iPad is questionable.

macducky313

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
Its OK because we now have alternatives. DUUUUUUDE, I'm just waiting for the day that Serif's Affinity apps get ported over to iPad, and full working apps. Not no half baked crap Adobe keeps testing with. Adobe, go get yourself a new job already. BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :p

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
That's okay. I already switched to Pixelmator anyway.

I have heard all good things about pixlemator. I am waiting for it to go on sale again and will jump in. Maybe Apple does something with Photos that will address Aperture users, but for what I do, pixlemator may just be the tool for me.

As for Adobe - no thanks.

macducky313

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
I love the iPad, but without a proper pen like the surface has (or Wacom tablets have), doing serious art with any precision on the iPad is questionable.

Hey try something like the touch screen tablets coming out from Huion. Huion has a touch screen line up that includes a pressure sensitive pen and has express buttons on the side. look for the GT-185HD as its new model. I'm holding out on maybe a larger 22 - 29 inch model but I've seen good reviews on a iPad replacement touch screen. Instead of using apps like Duet and AstroPad you can just draw directly on the Huion touch screen in the native apps on OS X or Windows.

tipp

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010

You do realize this is about the iPad app and not the Mac version, right?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Their attitude toward this app matches their attitude toward desktop Photoshop:

"We already HAVE your money! We should we give up some of that money actually fixing/improving things?"

I pay Adobe a ton every year, NOT for quality software (which they used to offer and I loved it). No, I pay almost ENTIRELY for the privilege of exchanging files with OTHER Photoshop users. We're all miserable, bugs linger, new features are gimmicks, the installer/updater/anti-piracy junk clogs your Mac and makes your Guest account throw up errors... and we're all paying just for file compatibility.

Way to build loyalty.

Also, I have to say, I thought PS on iPad was a really nice app. Either for edits in a pinch when my laptop is away, or as a companion to Procreate. (But Procreate has since gained more layers power, and stands alone better these days.)

Ah, well, they got my $10.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Hey try something like the touch screen tablets coming out from Huion. Huion has a touch screen line up that includes a pressure sensitive pen and has express buttons on the side. look for the GT-185HD as its new model. I'm holding out on maybe a larger 22 - 29 inch model but I've seen good reviews on a iPad replacement touch screen. Instead of using apps like Duet and AstroPad you can just draw directly on the Huion touch screen in the native apps on OS X or Windows.

That is just a Wacom competitor. How does that help me draw on an iPad? ? :confused:

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
I decided long ago never to invest any time or energy into anything from Google or Adobe. Every time I read a news story like this - and that's fairly often - I pat myself on the back for that decision.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have heard all good things about pixlemator. I am waiting for it to go on sale again and will jump in. Maybe Apple does something with Photos that will address Aperture users, but for what I do, pixlemator may just be the tool for me.

As for Adobe - no thanks.

$30 for the Mac app, and $10 for the iPad app – that's already a sale price! Tremendous value for those small prices.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Their attitude toward this app matches their attitude toward desktop Photoshop:

"We already HAVE your money! We should we give up some of that money actually fixing/improving things?"

I pay Adobe a ton every year, NOT for quality software (which they used to offer and I loved it). No, I pay almost ENTIRELY for the privilege of exchanging files with OTHER Photoshop users. We're all miserable, bugs linger, new features are gimmicks, the installer/updater/anti-piracy junk clogs your Mac and makes your Guest account throw up errors... and we're all paying just for file compatibility.

Way to build loyalty.

Also, I have to say, I thought PS on iPad was a really nice app. Either for edits in a pinch when my laptop is away, or as a companion to Procreate. (But Procreate has since gained more layers power, and stands alone better these days.)

Ah, well, they got my $10.

Same reason I'm not going anywhere near a Microsoft subscription. Think of what a crappy job these companies did when they were dependent on users to pay to upgrade their software. Is it really surprising that their service and support will become infinitely worse when the revenue is locked in?

----------

Is this article about Apple or Adobe? I’m not sure after reading your comment.

I wonder if Tim Cook uses the Numbers app to crunch data at Apple. I have a feeling they don't do much dog-fooding when it comes to productivity apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.