Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macducky313

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
That is just a Wacom competitor. How does that help me draw on an iPad? ? :confused:

Well thats just it. The iPad was never meant for true professional use yet and I have to give it to Windows for the collaboration they have going with Adobe but quite frankly, until Apple gets themselves in gear and add true split screen apps and multi-tasking, with the addition to scold app developers who make crap apps, then yeah, until then we're screwed but there are alternatives. Sorry you paid whatever price tag for your iPad and can't "draw" on it. I have Pencil and Paper by 53 and it works ok for jotting down and doodles. There are several decent apps that will let you draw but nothing robust, fast, and have a wide range of features.

I have never had a true artist complain about not being able to draw when pencil and paper were just as handy. I have Astropad and it lags on the iPad, plus even if I were USB connected to the Mac there would be pixelated motion whenever I was to move any object on my screen. Played around with Duet and found out that I dislike being connected by USB even though its a requirement. The backend support for these technologies are almost there or are there but the people to push it along are not full weight on it I suppose. I blame Apple for dropping the ball when they went for the consumer than the professional level of usage for the iPad. We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, my iPad is just used for consumption use and minor website testing.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Sorry, gotta rant a little about what Adobe's been doing. They've got excellent applications, but pretty much everything else reeks, as if only one part of the company is doing a good job.

The UC gives us all CC, so I got it. Besides it making you deal with an Adobe account you don't want, it's even more intrusive on the system than CS6 was. After installing their Adobe CC manager or whatever, there are now like 4 Adobe background processes running all the time for no good reason. Anything where you have to download a downloader is bad – like installing third-party software in Windows. To make things worse, the Adobe CC downloader was very unresponsive and kept hanging, so I had to kill it and retry twice before it worked. So there's now a lot of bloatware you have to deal with to install Photoshop and stuff.

I can't believe Adobe thought this helped the user experience. And does anyone actually use the Creative Cloud storage?! This is on the same level as the stupid Google Plus accounts being pushed on us.

Last edited:

keybraker

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
Greece
I bought this application for $5 about 5 months ago and now the bring you down. how can the do, this how will I get my money back?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It's the first thing I turn off on a fresh install. Application frames restrict you in the worst way. Terrible UX.

I think it gets worse as you deal with a bigger screen. Absolutely drove me crazy at college because the iMac screens are so HUGE. Used to have to resize the programs to only take up the corner of the screen since I wasn't going to screw with settings.

I bought this application for $5 about 5 months ago and now the bring you down. how can the do, this how will I get my money back?

You don't. You keep a spare copy somewhere other than on iTunes and keep on using it if it suits you.

Ardmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2013
It's not really the same. Apple dropped their only pro level photo app. Adobe are dropping an (I assume) unused phone app.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I saw that, and was curious over that move. I don't need it on my iPad so I'm not really missing it. I like some editing features on my iPhone in case a picture needs some minor touches before texting/facebooking but there's plenty of apps for that.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It is pretty bad that they've now ditched all the original paid mobile apps they put out. But they've probably learnt a lot from it, like it not being a space to grab new customers, and understanding what people even do with their desktop software to begin with and would like to do on the go, or when next to their computers.

The iPad gets a lot of hate for being non-pro, but I don't understand why people don't even see it as a good prototyping tool.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Sigh... the "new normal" for software .....

We grudgingly went to Adobe Creative Cloud over here as well.... While purely in a financial sense (cost of staying current with all of the products over time the traditional way vs. with the Cloud subscription pricing), it might be slightly better? Nothing else about it is!

We've wasted FAR too much time and effort in the I.T. dept. trying to fix botched CC installations and upgrades. (Their CC installer is terrible about handling situations where someone had a trial version of an Adobe app installed and then tried to move to a paid license without fully removing all remnants of the trial first.) And in some respects, the Windows version is even more trouble-prone than the Mac version.

(EG. We had the new version of Illustrator crashing immediately on start-up for a PC Windows user until we *finally* figured out it didn't like their default printer pointed to a network printer that was unavailable on the network they were attached to at the time. It *must* have an available, online printer as the Windows default or the whole thing blows up!)

Their attitude toward this app matches their attitude toward desktop Photoshop:

"We already HAVE your money! We should we give up some of that money actually fixing/improving things?"

I pay Adobe a ton every year, NOT for quality software (which they used to offer and I loved it). No, I pay almost ENTIRELY for the privilege of exchanging files with OTHER Photoshop users. We're all miserable, bugs linger, new features are gimmicks, the installer/updater/anti-piracy junk clogs your Mac and makes your Guest account throw up errors... and we're all paying just for file compatibility.

Way to build loyalty.

Also, I have to say, I thought PS on iPad was a really nice app. Either for edits in a pinch when my laptop is away, or as a companion to Procreate. (But Procreate has since gained more layers power, and stands alone better these days.)

Ah, well, they got my $10.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Ninja edit to add BIG COMPLAINT: For whatever reason their damn mobile apps log out of creative cloud all the time. When I was on a plane last weekend I whipped out my damned $150 Adobe Ink stylus and the Adobe Draw app. It wouldn't even let me use the app because I had to login to the cloud! So I drew in Pixelmator instead, which actually supports the Adobe Ink stylus to a certain extent. They're seriously pissing me off. The guy above me is right about their installation software being crap too. It hangs on me frequently.

--

I've been pretty peeved with Adobe's mobile strategy lately. First of all I bought that damn $150 Adobe Ink stylus last summer and the thing doesn't work well with newer iPads. Took Adonit forever to update their SDK and it took Adobe even longer to implement it into their software. What's funny is for Photoshop Touch I think they only recently even added support for Ink so that's fantastic. Bye! Like others I've been using Pixelmator as well. It just sucks since I'm so heavily invested in Adobe on the Desktop. They've hardly updated their drawing apps that work with Ink. Then on the Lightroom side that app has barely seen any updates beyond stupid stuff like a new crop tool, new ways to sort stuff and a slideshow mode. What about the real stuff that we need—like importing RAW files that we download to our iPad while on the go? It's dumb that you need a Mac to get your RAW files to the iPad. Especially with newer iPads that have 2GB of RAM. They could still downsize the files for editing like they do currently but sync the full size back to the cloud and my Mac. Or at least store it in the App and then WiFi sync with Lightroom desktop when I get back on the same network with my Mac.

So many of their mobile apps just seem like toys. It's like they sat down and thought "Hmmm…how can we make an app that doesn't actually do anything useful for getting actual work done but looks like it does?" I'll admit that Lightroom is pretty good and I do get work done doing quick edits on photos in my library, getting them 90% of the way there. But it could do so much more. The way that photos sync is really ridiculous too because it takes forever—even though it's only downloading a low-res version. You also have to specifically put them into a folder that syncs with Lightroom Mobile which is an extra step and if you forget then you won't have your photos available on the go which has happened to me numerous times—or you just don't end up getting them uploaded in time. But the software doesn't do a good job of indicating progress. It often jumps around randomly through how many photos are left to sync and I'm never quite sure if it has bugged out and I need to restart or if it's working as intended. So frustrating!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I suppose this program wasn't expensive enough.

They'll release it later with a $1.99/day subscription feature in late 2015.

Adobe's graphics programs become less relevant year after year due to their cloud strategy.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Of those who prefer other iOS image editing apps, I'm curious how many of you have careers in image editing and which of you are hobbyists. I, for one, am dismayed that a Photoshop companion for the iPad won't exist. As someone who invested years learning Photoshop's bells and whistles, I don't want to learn the UI of another software to achieve the same. Granted, Adobe has—intentionally, I think—made watereddown iOS versions of their flagship apps within the generally accepted price range of mobile apps while reserving advanced abilities for the professional desktop versions. I suspect Photoshop will reappear as a full-featured app when an iPad Pro is unveiled; however, the cost will be the same as the desktop version, which is okay by me.

As for you young illustrators and budding image editors, I envy the choices you have now. I admit, I'm impressed by some of the innovative approaches to the tools in alternate apps. Were I to start fresh, I might consider mastering one of those apps instead.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I never found how you can do such detailed work on an iPad given the lack of precision on the touchscreen. Its designed for the finger so its difficult to really have such precision. I'm partial to laptops so I've largely ignored any work on an iPad and I could be wrong.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Agreed. Give me a my rMBP or a 27" iMac for doing serious photo editing where there is plenty of memory, storage, a fast CPU and GPU, screen real estate, and I can easily connect any mouse or Wacom tablet and stylus for precise work.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
It's the first thing I turn off on a fresh install. Application frames restrict you in the worst way. Terrible UX.

I have yet to find a workflow where having the doc or image obscured, buried underneath a pile of floating tool palettes is anything but a cluttered annoying and inefficient waste of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.