Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Please get a grip, this is pretty insignificant compared to the problems a lot of people have in their lives. A bit disappointing? Maybe. A bit inconvenient? Maybe, if you decide to take it back / send it back to get a replacement. Might cause a problem with the screen over time? Maybe, but that's why you have a warranty.

Mine will do it but not in normal use (with or without case) and I have to actually try to flex it / squeeze it with more than normal gripping strength to get it to do it: I'd never have seen it if it wasn't for this thread. If it ever causes a problem (which I think is pretty unlikely) I'm sure Apple will exchange it.

Where exactly in the back is it that people are tapping, screenie?

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Please get a grip, this is pretty insignificant compared to the problems a lot of people have in their lives. A bit disappointing? Maybe. A bit inconvenient? Maybe, if you decide to take it back / send it back to get a replacement. Might cause a problem with the screen over time? Maybe, but that's why you have a warranty.

Mine will do it but not in normal use (with or without case) and I have to actually try to flex it / squeeze it with more than normal gripping strength to get it to do it: I'd never have seen it if it wasn't for this thread. If it ever causes a problem (which I think is pretty unlikely) I'm sure Apple will exchange it.

It is insignificant compared to problems people have in their life. No one here is trying to suggest that it's not. They're simply legitimately hacked off that Apple's obsession with thin devices has compromised the quality of the experience.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
It is insignificant compared to problems people have in their life. No one here is trying to suggest that it's not. They're simply legitimately hacked off that Apple's obsession with thin devices has compromised the quality of the experience.

I'm not hacked off. I just don't want my ipad to do this. My Air "1" did not do this. I almost feel like I should have kept the air 1. Key word is "almost".

I think tomorrow I will bring both my ipads to Apple store and see what's up. Maybe they will exchange both and the problem will be fixed. I can only hope. *fingers crossed*

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I have OCD. This is just causing it to go into overdrive. I also go on vacation Monday to the following Thursday. So all kinds of thoughts about what I should do are going on in my head.

I do agree its not a HUGE deal as I know Apple will help. It's just driving my OCD and anxiety about going to get help.

In that case, I spologise: I didn't mean to belittle your condition. I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction, whatever you decide to do: in my experience Apple are very good about refunds/exchanges, so try not to feel bad about returning it if that's what you decide to do!

----------

I think the key thing though is "does it do it in normal use?": mine won't, but given manufacturing tolerances probably some will. In that case people should get an exchange. If you have to actually try to make it do it, it's probably not an issue though, bit like the bending video in that other thread...

maintainin

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Im new to this forum but not new to message boards in general. I've posted on various for years ranging from sports, politics, automobiles, motorcycles, and electronics such as this one but they really all are the same. There's just this ebb and flow that happens and inevitably they all follow the same pattern after a thread gets so big. This one is no different. You gotta let folks be folks. There are legitimate issues being raised here. Of course an iPad air 2 and its problems are insignificant to the most important things in life. But this is an apple product forum. And people have issues with an apple product. Let's not try to get all super serial all of a sudden. I don't even know what the hell I'm saying after typing this. I'm guess Im just saying let people talk about what's relevant to this board and quit trying to bring the bigger picture in at a certain point. You want to talk about life, take it somewhere else. We're talking about Apple iPad air 2 issues here.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Im new to this forum but not new to message boards in general. I've posted on various for years ranging from sports, politics, automobiles, motorcycles, and electronics such as this one but they really all are the same. There's just this ebb and flow that happens and inevitably they all follow the same pattern after a thread gets so big. This one is no different. You gotta let folks be folks. There are legitimate issues being raised here. Of course an iPad air 2 and its problems are insignificant to the most important things in life. But this is an apple product forum. And people have issues with an apple product. Let's not try to get all super serial all of a sudden. I don't even know what the hell I'm saying after typing this. I'm guess Im just saying let people talk about what's relevant to this board and quit trying to bring the bigger picture in at a certain point. You want to talk about life, take it somewhere else. We're talking about Apple iPad air 2 issues here.

lol to the bold part above.

It's all good. We all are getting along. :D

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
I just got my iPad today as well and am seeing the same thing. I first noticed it when I picked it up in portrait mode with my right hand (with the smart cover hanging off the left, adding a bit of weight). When I'm just holding it statically, the weight of the iPad doesn't make the distortion appear. But if I just adjust the iPad's position in my hand, the added dynamic force will make it show up.

Here's a pic of what I see. It's the 2 dark spots under the right side of the search box (the image is a bit blurry because I had to be moving to catch the distortion). As Andyw mentioned, no matter where I press, the distortion stays in that spot.

View attachment 508352

I was going to try and exchange it at an apple store (2 hour drive :( ) but now I'm concerned it might be a widespread "feature".

Edit:
Hmmm, I just realized that you guys were talking about it happening on a "dark" screen instead....

WOW, that is shocking...

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I'm not hacked off. I just don't want my ipad to do this. My Air "1" did not do this. I almost feel like I should have kept the air 1. Key word is "almost".

I think tomorrow I will bring both my ipads to Apple store and see what's up. Maybe they will exchange both and the problem will be fixed. I can only hope. *fingers crossed*

So your screen is freaking out when you put pressure on it from behind?

Think of this has an exercise to help with your OCD. If you can get over this, you're one step closer to a more peaceful existence.

Enjoy your holiday with your new iPad friend, sounds like it is well over due.

Last edited:

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Tried to reproduce this one as well. Had no luck. I'm using one of those apple smart covers that attaches on the left magnetically. When I'm using the iPad it swings around and attaches itself on the back.

I've tried tapping like others have suggested but nothing, I feel like I'd need to push a bit harder to get the back to flex enough to make contact with the glass.

But as it stands, seems OK so far.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
So your screen is freaking out when you put pressure on it from behind?

Think of this has an exercise to help with your OCD. If you can get over this, you're one step closer to a more peaceful existence.

Enjoy your holiday with your new iPad friend, sounds like it is well over due.

with slight pressure. Just the weight of holding the ipad. Happens when I hold with 1 hand or pick it up with 1 hand.

I will be exchanging today. If my new 1 does it I'll live with it.

Last edited:

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I can confirm that my 128GB wifi is doing the same thing when I pull up the Google page and apply pressure in the spot shown on the picture. It looks very disturbing.

Not sure how to feel about it. In itself, it's a minor issue. But when you add it to all the other issues such as the strong vibrations during audio playback, reduced battery life, missing buttons and uneven backlighting, I can't help but feel that Apple's quest for thinness has gone a bit too far and build quality is suffering as a result. I'm a bit torn. I love the performance of the Air 2, but it certainly comes at a price in other areas and for all the money I had to pay for this, that shouldn't be the case.

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I can confirm that my 128GB wifi is doing the same thing when I pull up the Google page and apply pressure in the spot shown on the picture. It looks very disturbing.

Not sure how to feel about it. In itself, it's a minor issue. But when you add it to all the other issues such as the strong vibrations during audio playback, reduced battery life, missing buttons and uneven backlighting, I can't help but feel that Apple's quest for thinness has gone a bit too far and build quality is suffering as a result. I'm a bit torn. I love the performance of the Air 2, but it certainly comes at a price in other areas and for all the money I had to pay for this, that shouldn't be the case.

This is my biggest problem. For a near $1000 device I should not have any problems. This is why I decided to go to the store and get help.

shadez9

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
with slight pressure. Just the weight of holding the ipad. Happens when I hold with 1 hand or pick it up with 1 hand.

I will be exchanging today. If my new 1 does it I'll live with it.

Do let us know if your new exchanged one has this problem as well. Thanks.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Tried to reproduce this one as well. Had no luck. I'm using one of those apple smart covers that attaches on the left magnetically. When I'm using the iPad it swings around and attaches itself on the back.

I've tried tapping like others have suggested but nothing, I feel like I'd need to push a bit harder to get the back to flex enough to make contact with the glass.

But as it stands, seems OK so far.

With or without the smart cover on the back?

You can't see the issue either way?

Millionaire2K

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Do let us know if your new exchanged one has this problem as well. Thanks.

I'll be back here to report. Also I plan to test all the units in store. I want to know if this is widespread or just a small %.

Also with the 2 I have now 1 of them is much worst. So I want to see if the effect varies from ipad to ipad. Also I want to find out if my 1 is the only 1 that is real bad or if it's hit or miss.

I will be going around 6pm est.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
I'll be back here to report. Also I plan to test all the units in store. I want to know if this is widespread or just a small %.

Also with the 2 I have now 1 of them is much worst. So I want to see if the effect varies from ipad to ipad. Also I want to find out if my 1 is the only 1 that is real bad or if it's hit or miss.

I will be going around 6pm est.
Come back and report please.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

Yeah, yeah, everyone gets that these are one percenter problems. However, it's a Mac forum and world peace isn't our problem right now.

This issue stinks thigh for owners of the Air 2. I wasn't going to upgrade anyways since my Air is a beast but this just further justifies my decision. I'm way to OCD to deal with such things.

Stupid thinner nonsense. One lousy millimeter and there are vibration and now screen pressure point issues. BLEH. :rolleyes:

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
No issue with my 64gb wifi one with this, color of the screen or brightness problems.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Happens on mine as well.. not in average use but when moving it (acceleration) like when picking it up with the screen lit.
(then again I havent noticed it till i read this thread)

----------

Oh, and ConsumerReports confirms this:

Apple shaved the iPad Air 2 down by, among other things, eliminating the air between the three layers of the iPad display, fusing the screen into just one layer. (In fact, the Air 2 is so thin that you can depress the screen from the back of the device. You know how poking an LCD with a fingertip produces a temporary distortion, a small puddle of color? The same thing happens on the Air 2 if you press it from behind—there's no reason to think this will damage the device.)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...th-your-current-ipad-skip-the-air-2/index.htm

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Mine does it if forced when naked, but with the Smart Case on it is difficult to make happen.

128GB WIFI.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Yup - light pressure on my 64GB SG Cellular. That and the dead pixel. Oh and the dead pixel on another one I picked up locally. QC and design not good this time around.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Exactly. Makes your stomach turn don't it.

P.S. - Sorry to anyone who didn't notice until this thread. I was hoping it was just me so I could get it fixed. It now seems that this is the iPad air 2.

----------

It happens only where the board is. It does not happen where the battery is located.

Woah. Sorry for the OCD. I knew there had to be something off about that thin iPad.
Also, even though I think it wouldn't have been necessary, I think it is a great gesture of yours to apologize for the "can't unnotice once noticed" effect. Would drive me nuts as well if I knew, but I'm gonna stick with an original Air for now.

pik.

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
Bologna/Corfu/Paris
I can confirm this issue in 3 iPads Air2 in apple store Bologna.

Only on the right and no need of much force used...
well I do not like that to be honest....

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
If you hold it like a gorilla, you will notice this issue!

Yes this appears to be something everyone can expect to find. I will say I would probably not have paid any attention to this what so ever had this not been pointed out here on the forum. To me it is very very minor and would not bother me in the least. Primarily because in order to reproduce what has been described here I had to put a fair amount of pressure in that spot once I found it. I am right handed so this would not have popped out at me, again unless I had not seen this OMG thread.

Again, minor and again, something that is going to be inherent in all the models so don't waste your time running down to your local store and whining about it, you'll be able to reproduce this issue with every display model you encounter! Another solution would be to just let it go and accept it as part of the deal or return your air 2 and get an air!

My read on this is that it is almost as though there is a small cavity or gap right in that very spot.

If you look at the tear down pictures, they only have the wifi version up now, but one can see most of the chips and electronics are on the left hand side and the right hand side is basically battery and fused display.

I suppose the cellular one could have some components, cellular antenna perhaps on the right, but that remains to be seen until they get around to tearing that model down.

I know the whiners will whine and the moaner will moan about this inexcusable slight in design but most of us would probably never have noticed it or thought nothing of it if we had!

It is the very same effect as someone else mentioned if you push your finger against and lcd screen, nothing to really worry about unless your going to hold it like a gorilla would!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.