Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
and One More Thing...

* the all new iPod with widescreen body and touch UI.
* also, The Beatles.

Just a hunch on that last one.

I had forgotten about The Beatles angle for MacWorld! I'll see your hunch!!! :D

rpchan

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2006
extreme wireless: long distances

In the link to the summary of the meeting. what is with the 40 miles for wireless. I assume this is something for the future or is apple going to blow our minds?

I just dont keep up alot with wireless tech. I might be stupid about this.

in addition

I don't want an "iphone". I want a newton for a new millennium.

okay I do want an "iphone"

ready2switch

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2006
A new Airport is actually pretty exciting to me. I will be in the market for a new wireless router with print server and was on track to get the Airport Express, but for it's aging technology. :D

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
802.11n in 10.4.8

If you have 10.4.8, do:

man apple80211

to see some bits about the 802.11n features that will be there. No binary though, bah.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
Ahhh, now I understand X2/X4

Based on a quick read of this,

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/802dot112/chapter/ch15.pdf

it seems that the X2 and X4 monikers refer to whether the channels are 20 MHz (legacy 802.11) or 40 MHz wide. There are two main draft approaches to 802.11n: WWiSE or TGnSync. Although Apple may not be taking sides yet, I'd guess they are with the TGnSync camp, as this group is pushing for the use of 802.11n as a way to stream HDTV or DVD content. Also, Intel is part of this consortium.

Anyhow, with 20 MHz channels both drafts achieve top speeds around 135/140 Mbps, which is a little over 2X the speed of 802.11g (54 Mbps, ignoring the turbo stuff). However, if the channels are 40 MHz wide, then bandwidth effectively doubles and top speeds are up around 270/315 Mbps. 270/135 = 2, justifying the X4 moniker.

rendit

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
i think the solution for non-11n devices is simple: the new airport base station will have gigabit ports with an 11n card which allows you to share the wireless connection and keep the bandwidth of 11n... this has been possible with all the prior base-stations (albeit with 100base and 11g) and would make an easy 11n bridge for older machines.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
iTV and competition

I know this is slightly off topic, but in order for iTV to succeed it has to do better than TiVo and/or NetFlix/movie on demand (cable company). I don't think iTV will make a big debut. I think it will be up to users to decide on how best to use it, which is to say that it has a tremendous obstacle to overcome.

Cinch

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Although Apple may not be taking sides yet, I'd guess they are with the TGnSync camp, as this group is pushing for the use of 802.11n as a way to stream HDTV or DVD content. Also, Intel is part of this consortium.

They are probably siding with whatever Intel is backing. This spring Intel will be releasing their new Centrino Pro chipset that will, for the first time, have 802.11N as part of its spec. $10 says what is in the Pre-N iMacs, MBP, MB, and Mac Pros match whatever intel is releasing.
Vendors are sick of waiting around for a final standard to be released. Esp now that there is a new, more urgent, focus on getting battery standards up to snuff.

PS- Intel announced the new Quad Core chips today http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070108-8572.html One day before Jobs keynote. Chance? I think not. :D

mrmma

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Missouri
I was expecting some sort of update like this. I'm on the fence as to whether the iTV will be a separate entity from the updated Airports or whether a TV server will be part of the Airport package (e.g. print server, etc...). Some would prefer not having to have ethernet routed near their tv out of convenience, but I think that the ubiquity of both cable and phone jacks (and thus broadband modems) near entertainment centers makes it an attractive placement of a wireless media server for a home.

I've been putting off upgrading our home network until Apple updates the Airports so I'm hoping for one or the other of the above possibilities.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
This Macworld seems to be getting bigger and bigger and bigger, what with the amount of stuff to be updated, its getting crazy.

Lets try and see what is supposedly going to get upgraded or released:

iLife 07
iWork 07 + the spreadsheet program
iTV
Airport cards and base stations
Mac Mini
iPod Video
iPod Phone or iPod SmartPhone
12" MacBook Pro
New Cinema Displays + 17 inch model
Its getting beyond silly, I mean, we are not even taking into account the stuff Apple always surprises us with...

If you want to over-excite yourself...

Go to the "Deals / Clearance" section on the Apple Store page and look at all of the stuff that's currently listed as available under refurbs...

15" MBP - Core Duo
17" MBP - Core Duo
13" MP white (1.83GHz) - Core Duo
13" MP white (2.0 GHz) - Core Duo
12" PM G4 (Combo & Super)
15" PM G4 (Combo & Super)
17" PM G4 (Super)
12" iBook G4 (Combo)
14" iBook G4 (Super)

17" iMac (1.83GHz Core Duo)
17" iMac (2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo)
24" iMac (2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo)
Mini (1.66 & 1.83GHz)
MacPro Quad (2.66 & 3.0)
PowerMac G5 (DP 2.0, DP 2.3, & Quad 2.5GHz)

Plus...

20" & 30" display (23" is missing)
Airport Extreme Card
Bluetooth Keyboard
buncha iPod stuff (next tab)

Which on first glance seems to be a heck of a lotta stuff to all be available all at the same time. At closer inspection, none of the laptops are the Core 2 Duo versions, so its probably a fairly safe bet that they're not going to be touched. But I'd be inclined to say that the high end desktop in particular is targeted; don't know if I want to say "Year of the Desktop", but with the intro of iTV, some similar word - "Table top", etc.

A possible play on words might be to crossmorph "Digital Hub" into "Reinventing the Digital Wheel".(TM)

-hh

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
802.11n Airport Extreme, this seems like a pretty sound expectation. Something that properly supports what can be found in the latest Mac portables. Well rumoured and probably predicted.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
I should know this, but as I sit in a CAD class I have to retake (program restructure from when I first took it 2 years ago, stupid requirments...), how upgradable are the Core Duo MBPs? I remember the day you could crack open a nice aluminum laptop and upgrade the wireless card. I am assuming this is no longer a choice, but if anyone knows give me a holla.

Also the x2 and x4 is a channel config. You can make usage of multiple airport channels for higher bandwidth, thats a crazy idea if they were to ever been in the 40 hz range.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
Also the x2 and x4 is a channel config. You can make usage of multiple airport channels for higher bandwidth, thats a crazy idea if they were to ever been in the 40 hz range.

If by multiple Airport channels, you mean multiple spatial streams, this may or may not result in double the throughput. MIMO transmission is highly beneficial only when there is significant multipath interference. However, doubling the bandwidth from 20 to 40 MHz will double throughput in just about any environment.

See the link in my previous post.

rendit

williedigital

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2005
why

why is faster networking stuff exciting for most consumers? It frankly isn't. Even on my G network, you can easily stream divx/h264 video as long as it isn't HD. Hell, even then it's not so stuttery as long as it's encoded in h264. But that's besides the point. The only thing that 99% of people even use a wireless network for is to surf the internet, and as someone has mentioned, that isn't improved at all by this. They might sell some units, but a $400 router that doesn't add much functionality isn't gonna move a lot of units.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
And I expect all of it or I'll run home crying :rolleyes:

I think Airport could be a silent upgrade and not really mentioned.

On the mighty mouse, yes it isn't great, but Apple have never really made great mice at least since the hockey puck in 1998.

From what is known about Steve Jobs, he likes to release 1 product of a particular type so as to avoid confusion amoungst customers, then release the other a few months later. Just like with the original iMac and I've actually heard the rumours say the same thing when discussing this phone.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
An 802.11n router, with two or four GigE ports even, should not be costing more than $100 at the point of sale. It's probably a single chip solution! The current Airport is overpriced and needs rebooting every month - something my nice reliable Linksys at home has never required.

The problem with wireless is that unless you have perfect reception you will connect at a far lower speed than the figure on the box. For example you most likely connect at 11mbps or 22mbps on a 54mbps wireless network (which is okay for most things, and the network is shared anyway). You can stream compressed HD video at 22mbps - not Bluray or HDDVD quality HD though, only CATV HD quality. 802.11n will mean more connections at >>22mbps which will aid in streaming greatly, even in larger houses with many barriers and multiple wireless clients contending for the bandwidth.

cheunghy

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2006
Hong Kong
Unless Apple changes the layout on their homepage, the current homepage can only hold at most 5 announcements (7 for MWSF 2006), INCLUDING a link for the keynote stream.

But like most of you , I prefer more... :D

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
I know this is slightly off topic, but in order for iTV to succeed it has to do better than TiVo and/or NetFlix/movie on demand (cable company). I don't think iTV will make a big debut. I think it will be up to users to decide on how best to use it, which is to say that it has a tremendous obstacle to overcome.

Cinch

Despite the fondness that everyone has for the TiVo and PVRs. They are not a massive commercial success. For Apple to truly succeed, it has to go after a much more challenging target. It is competing with cable and satellite television distribution and putting them up against internet download.

I am not certain that pay-per-broadcast television, which cuts out the middle men of advertisers and networks is going to take-off like a rocket. But I just like the idea that direct funding will improve the quality and diversity of the type of television programming being produced.

C.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Unless Apple changes the layout on their homepage, the current homepage can only hold at most 5 announcements (7 for MWSF 2006), INCLUDING a link for the keynote stream.

But like most of you , I prefer more... :D

By that logic the iTunes store only has room for three banner items at the top of the store home page. Since they cycle in time, many more combinations are possible....

Who says they need to be static?

B

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
If you want to over-excite yourself...

Go to the "Deals / Clearance" section on the Apple Store page and look at all of the stuff that's currently listed as available under refurbs...

15" MBP - Core Duo
17" MBP - Core Duo
13" MP white (1.83GHz) - Core Duo
13" MP white (2.0 GHz) - Core Duo
12" PM G4 (Combo & Super)
15" PM G4 (Combo & Super)
17" PM G4 (Super)
12" iBook G4 (Combo)
14" iBook G4 (Super)

17" iMac (1.83GHz Core Duo)
17" iMac (2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo)
24" iMac (2.1 GHz Core 2 Duo)
Mini (1.66 & 1.83GHz)
MacPro Quad (2.66 & 3.0)
PowerMac G5 (DP 2.0, DP 2.3, & Quad 2.5GHz)

Plus...

20" & 30" display (23" is missing)
Airport Extreme Card
Bluetooth Keyboard
buncha iPod stuff (next tab)

Which on first glance seems to be a heck of a lotta stuff to all be available all at the same time. At closer inspection, none of the laptops are the Core 2 Duo versions, so its probably a fairly safe bet that they're not going to be touched. But I'd be inclined to say that the high end desktop in particular is targeted; don't know if I want to say "Year of the Desktop", but with the intro of iTV, some similar word - "Table top", etc.

A possible play on words might be to crossmorph "Digital Hub" into "Reinventing the Digital Wheel".(TM)

-hh

I think we started to see C2D iMac refurbs within a month of them starting to ship.

Sorry to burst any bubble, but I don't think this is evidence of any iMac upgrade tomorrow. I still expect them to hold out a little longer, go Leopard and Santa Rosa at the same time and possibly bring out a Quad option/one stock model a short time after the mobile C2 goes quad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.