Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
The only 3G indicator I see is the normal 3G in the upper-left of the screen. The post says to look in the upper-right where you can see that the battery is at 63% which I'm assuming they are thinking is the "G3" of the 3G China logo

Are you completely blind to the white swirly logo in the upper right?

here we go with more rumors.

smh.

Damn! And on an Apple rumors site too?!?! Who'd a thunk it?!

Hey,hey. That phone was found in a Chinese pub or maybe laundry?

It is on its way to Engadget.

I think you mean Gizmodo.

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
It's significant to AAPL shareholders regardless of country of residence.

Lulz.

You get some serious forum milage out of that one aapl share you inherited. You don't get paid a dividend on your share and there's no way you'd sell your one talking point. So tell me again why this is significant to you?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Lulz.

You get some serious forum milage out of that one aapl share you inherited. You don't get paid a dividend on your share and there's no way you'd sell your one talking point. So tell me again why this is significant to you?

There are other Apple shareholders in this forum besides cvaldes. And it's interesting to all of us tracking Apple closely even if for no other reason than curiousity. This isn't an "Apple USA Products" rumor site.

The fact that I'm traveling to China next month and debating a possible move there one day makes it interesting as well.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
looks suspiciously like a black plastic frame rather than metal. Doesn't look like a bumper...

smoge

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Something isn't right with that picture.

If any one who has a iphone 4; look at your face time camera and then look at that one, its right out of proportion, also look at the edge of the iphone on the right compared to the top left, looks like two different picture.:confused:

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
The fact that I'm traveling to China next month and debating a possible move there one day makes it interesting as well.

Wow, solipsism much? Makes it interesting to you perhaps, but why you thought you had to share that tidbit with the rest of us is beyond me.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
There are other Apple shareholders in this forum besides cvaldes. And it's interesting to all of us tracking Apple closely even if for no other reason than curiousity. This isn't an "Apple USA Products" rumor site.

@Dooger:

Gecktotek is correct. There are others here who are shareholders, some of whom even mention it in their signature.

Note that even if you aren't a shareholder, how Apple conducts its business outside of the United States is significant because that international revenue contributes to Apple's coffers. They have 70 billion in cash which can be used for strategic investments in securing components, as well as M&A (Siri, P.A. Semi, Intrinsity, etc.).

Beyond the sheer revenue numbers, there are also partnerships with other companies that may affect domestic operations.

For example, Vodafone is the world's largest mobile phone company (by revenue); they are the official iPhone carrier in many markets around the planet. Well, it just so happens that they are half-owner of Verizon Wireless (the other half is owned by Verizon Communications). It's very probable that the Vodafone partnership helped bring the iPhone to Verizon Wireless.

Regardless of whether or not you're a current shareholder, reading Apple's SEC filings provides helpful insight into how the company is operated. A conscientious investor studies these documents before choosing whether or not to invest in a company.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
What I want to know is if the average Chinese worker makes a $300 a month... how can they afford an iPhone? :confused:
Different audience.

The iPhone would be marketed to China's high-end consumers, not the ordinary factory worker.

China also manufactures boatloads of cheapo handsets that are targeted to the mass market.

You think everyone who works at Boeing has a 747 in their driveway?

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
people,

it is just another iPhone4 for us, looking at it....

the innards are a bit different.... now please remain seated, restrained and keep your iPads dry

great for china and aapl

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
Lulz. So tell me again why this is significant to you?

This is very significant for Apple and last I checked, this site is not a Western-centric MacRumorsUSA. News of an impending, soon-to-be-released iPhone 4 running on the world's largest mobile phone carrier is a very big deal.

If you truly are an Apple enthusiast or follower, regardless of whether you are an AAPL shareholder or your political beliefs, I am quite sure you will agree. :apple:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Wow, solipsism much? Makes it interesting to you perhaps, but why you thought you had to share that tidbit with the rest of us is beyond me.

And you speak for "the rest of us"? Sorry....don't think so. I was giving only one example amongst what could easily be many examples of why others might be interested in an iPhone in China.

Get over yourself.

intellca

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
I travel to China often... and a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone will show as it running on China Mobile... the 3G logo is only displayed as working, but no actual connection possible unless switched to China Unicom...

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I travel to China often... and a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone will show as it running on China Mobile... the 3G logo is only displayed as working, but no actual connection possible unless switched to China Unicom...

Care to provide tips to someone heading over there? I'm getting the Gevey Ultra sim so I'll be planning to pick up a sim card over there w/ some data.

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
This isn't an "Apple USA Products" rumor site.
\]

Thanks for that. In your race to judge my small worldedness you went and proved your own. I don't live in nor give a toss about the USA.
Tsk tsk, you can't just assume that we're all the same as you, bro.

Lulz.

Cvaldes, you misunderstand. Please read again. You say it's significant to you (because of that one share we keep hearing about), but I don't see why. Again, you don't get a dividend and we all know you'll never sell that one share you cherish so much, so what difference does it make to you at all?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
\]

Thanks for that. In your race to judge my small worldedness you went and proved your own. I don't live in nor give a toss about the USA.
Tsk tsk, you can't just assume that we're all the same as you, bro.

On the contrary, you're the one assuming that because it's not important to you that it's not important to anyone else.

And my lack of paying attention to where you are located does not make me "small worlded" (wtf does that mean anyway?) It just makes me lazy, innattentive, or I just don't give a crap (which is true).

octarine

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2004
Interesting stuff. I travel to Beijing frequently and my phone always hops on China Unicom. Since China Unicom is state owned, and 3G compatible by the world's standard. Why is China Mobile using a proprietary protocol to begin with?

Is this akin to Japan's whackydoodles CDMA standard? I doubt it's a matter of government snooping since both China Unicom and China Telecom both use standard 3G networks which are readily available all over Beijing and Shanghai.

China Mobile's 3G implementation uses TD-SCDMA which is similar to WCDMA but not dependant upon western patented technology (or that was the plan at least).

China Unicom own the WCDMA(UMTS) network in China, China Telecom's (confusing isn't it) 3G network is CDMA2000.

They're all ultimately owned by the state, though a proportion of their shares are publicly traded on the Hong Kong Exchange.

robert109

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
If the iPhone's carrier is China Mobile, that means the 3G is TD-SCDMA, that's too slow...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.