Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
The RIAA is suing the website AllofMP3.com on behalf of EMI, Sony BMG, Universal Music, and Warner Music in the amount of $150,000 for each of the 11 million songs that were downloaded from June to October of 2006. That comes to a lawsuit totaling $1.65 trillion!

Web link

While I don't like AlloMp3.com (unlike the author of the article), the RIAA is up them selves if they think they can sue for that much. That's more money then most countries GDP figures :rolleyes:

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
It is probably more symbolic than anything right now... Maybe they thought they most likely wouldn't win so why not go a little extreme?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I hope RIAA lose and burn in hell.

Actually I'd say this is one the law suit where the RIAA has any reason to be sueing. At least their not sueing a college student onto the streets or sueing the dead.

not that they shouldn't burn in hell, I'm just saying this is one lawsuit they "should" win.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
how can a site not in the US be sued by US companies and organizations using US laws?

Seems kinda just a bit out of their jurisdiction unless someone has some enlightenment for me

They are the RIAA, they can do what they want.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
*stutters* t-t-t-TRILLION??

I know this is just a preliminary figure and go way way down, but STILL!!

$150k for EACH SONG?

Like the artist will see any of it.. HAH!

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I love the RIAA and their big bad wolf tactics.

The harder they blow the stronger the little piggies will make their house. :rolleyes:

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
Thats absolutely incredible, just out of interest, does anyone have any rough ideas on how long would it take the RIAA members to gain that much revenue?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Thats absolutely incredible, just out of interest, does anyone have any rough ideas on how long would it take the RIAA members to gain that much revenue?
Annual combined wholesale for RIAA members in 2005 was about $7 billion. Just for an idea of scale, that's about half of the revenues Apple Computer pulled in for FY 2005.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Actually I'd say this is one the law suit where the RIAA has any reason to be sueing. At least their not sueing a college student onto the streets or sueing the dead.

not that they shouldn't burn in hell, I'm just saying this is one lawsuit they "should" win.

Yeah, making money off of copyright violations is a vastly different thing from sharing your music library. Although, I could have sworn that the maximum per-incident limit was $250k. It seems that §506(a)(1) also applies (criminal copyright for commercial advantage or private financial gain.)

As for jurisdiction, the Russian Federation (sounds like something out of Star Trek) is a signatory to this, this, and this.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
It seems that §506(a)(1) also applies (criminal copyright for commercial advantage or private financial gain.)
It doesn't apply because this is a civil suit. The government would have to step in for it to become a criminal case.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I wonder if any artists have made public opinions about the site.

I get my music from there. Am I a bad 'un?

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
how can a site not in the US be sued by US companies and organizations using US laws?

Because they were selling to people in the US and Russia is helping. I hate the RIAA, but if you were going to use this company, you might as well have used a P2P service. All of your money was going to some company, none of it was going to the artists and copyright holders. Hmmm, kinda like the RIAA. No wonder they're so pissed. :p

Seriously though, just because you payed for it, doesn't make it legal.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
How does this logic stand up: I'm not American, don't live in America, don't want to. Same for Russia. That site is legal in Russia. That's good enough for me. Or am I missing something?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
How does this logic stand up: I'm not American, don't live in America, don't want to. Same for Russia. That site is legal in Russia. That's good enough for me. Or am I missing something?
Maybe you missed this? It looks like it's going to be a county-by-country assault.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'd be more supportive of these kinds of aggressive legal tactics on the part of the music industry if Sony had been equally aggressively made to compensate the American public for the tens of thousands of computers they hacked into with their rootkit. If Sony will pay such a sum for each user that got a rootkit CD, or the Sony manager who made the go decision on this product is sent to prison, then I'm willing to listen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.