Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I honestly wished Amazon stood its ground and forced Apple to do something. Amazon could of just completely pointed the finger back at Apple.
These demands from Apple are insane and someone big enough like Amazon needs to stand up to Apple and say FU.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Is everyone here that has the app, just going to update?

I plan on holding on to the version that I have, with the button...

So, every week when you get ten updates to the 100+ apps you have installed, you are going to click update for each individually? That is nine additional clicks, every week from now on, forever (and likely as you get more apps that number will go up).

Are these nine additional clicks per week worth avoiding the five extra clicks you need with the new version of the app whenever you want to browse the store? I am not judging Apple or Amazon here, I am just asking whether, given the situation, it is really less effort in the end? Or is this more of an attempt to lobby Apple (or Amazon) to change things?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
At that point if Roxio still go with their own solution instead of Apple's, then Apple SHOULD get $0.00. They haven't done any work and don't deserve any money.

You mean that Apple did nothing? They didn't bring millions of customers to the door of Roxio via iOS and the AppStore? Because all that didn't cost a penny to develop, right?

Even so, Apple isn't saying that Roxio couldn't do this, in fact they are saying that they CAN do this. Just you can't have the direct link from the application to the website where you can bypass them. Apple knows that people want the path of least resistance, thus if you offer the items for sale on your website you have to offer them in-app, IF you have a link to the website.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
That doesn't answer my question at all. What I am asking is on a new Kindle App install with 0 books, does Amazon tell you to go online to download a book.

Quote from the App Store, regarding Kindle:

"shop the Kindle Store by visiting Amazon for over 950,000 Kindle books..."

So yeah, they tell you that Amazon Kindle books are available in the Amazon Kindle store.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
I honestly wished Amazon stood its ground and forced Apple to do something. Amazon could of just completely pointed the finger back at Apple.
These demands from Apple are insane and someone big enough like Amazon needs to stand up to Apple and say FU.

When Amazon releases their tablet should they be compelled to allow Nook on their platform?

Do you think it's likely that Amazon would permit that to occur?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
So, every week when you get ten updates to the 100+ apps you have installed, you are going to click update for each individually? That is nine additional clicks, every week from now on, forever (and likely as you get more apps that number will go up).

I like how he's gonna go through that extreme inconvenience just so he doesn't have to go to Safari and click his own bookmark. It's not like that button did anything before other than open a URL in Safari.

This is like paying $5 for a $4 coupon. More trouble than it's worth.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX

You bring up a good point, but as it is I already actually look at every update to see what changed. That is how I avoid downloading bum updates. (Tiny Towers had that issue, as did FaceBook at one point).

scottgroovez

macrumors regular
May 20, 2010
Apple get paid multiple times along the chain. When people buy their hardware, when devs pay to be part of their dev program, when people buy apps. Trying to claim 30% for something they have no hand in providing is plain greed. They don't host the content or provide payment solutions. They do nothing. Why should they get 30%?

Like I said at the top of my post, they've had their bite of the cherry already. Now they should probably get a gesture percentage (~5%), but 30% is WAY too much.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010

Yeah, that might be a hard argument for Amazon to make, since the only books they allow on the Kindle are books downloaded from Amazon (although there are a few work-arounds to that, but they aren't easy).

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
It doesn't make financial sense for Apple to provide a platform just so that other companies can make profits on their user base free of charge. After all, I can't take my lemonade stand inside a shopping mall and make profit from the customer traffic without paying rent.

Apple provide the user base - which means more hardware sales, which means more applications, which means more attractive platform for users. Goes around in a full circle. Success brings more users - more sales for Apple and developers.

I bought some stuff off Amazon using Firefox on OSX. Should Apple, or Mozilla get 30% of the sale price just by using their software?

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Super lame.

apple is just too strict.

This is why I've opted to sell the new edition of my book, "The Slacker Confessions" only via amazon instead of iBooks. apple had way too many silly hoops to jump through.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Super lame.

apple is just too strict.

This is why I've opted to sell the new edition of my book, "The Slacker Confessions" only via amazon instead of iBooks. apple had way too many silly hoops to jump through.

Hee. Carefuly, MacRumors might ding you for the free advertising!

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I like how he's gonna go through that extreme inconvenience just so he doesn't have to go to Safari and click his own bookmark. It's not like that button did anything before other than open a URL in Safari.

This is like paying $5 for a $4 coupon. More trouble than it's worth.
How long do you guys go without checking to see what apps have been updated? I check everyday and have maybe 10 apps at most that every need updating at once.
Quote from the App Store, regarding Kindle:

"shop the Kindle Store by visiting Amazon for over 950,000 Kindle books..."

So yeah, they tell you that Amazon Kindle books are available in the Amazon Kindle store.
Ah, good point/catch.
Good question, no idea. But who would download the Kindle app without knowing what it is?
Someone like my wifes grandmother could fall into that position. She just got an iPad and has no real clue about most things tech. Even with the ease of use of an iPad I still get calls asking how to do things. Luckily I can defer some of the "support" to my wife as she is pretty proficient with her iPhone.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
When Amazon releases their tablet should they be compelled to allow Nook on their platform?

Do you think it's likely that Amazon would permit that to occur?

Yeah, that might be a hard argument for Amazon to make, since the only books they allow on the Kindle are books downloaded from Amazon (although there are a few work-arounds to that, but they aren't easy).

difference is unlike Apple, Amazon never acted like oh it can do it nor started it.
Apple changed the rules and no ifs and or buts about it. If apps like Kindle and others did not work on iOS sells would be a lot lower.
Apple is showing its true greedy colors here.

Your argument fails when that little fact is pointed out. Did Amazon ever pretend that the kindle would read other books, Nope. Did Amazon ever even allow it, Nope.

Apple Allowed it then Apple gets it own services started and pretty much strong arming everyone else out. They make MS tactics of the pass look nice. Apple is behaving by far worse than MS ever did at its worse.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007

You're wrong. You can add any .mobi book under File sharing in iTunes. If it isn't easy blame Apple.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
In celebration of Apple's new policy, I am hereby deleting my iBooks app from all my iDevices. Cheers Apple! :D

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Apple makes it difficult again.

Now I cannot click on "update all" anymore.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
You're wrong. You can add any .mobi book under File sharing in iTunes. If it isn't easy blame Apple.

Uh, you can add a book to your Kindle from iTunes? This is something I certainly haven't experienced.

Yes, I do know that there are certain other sites that do have books that can be added to the Kindle, but when you are talking about best sellers and new books, you do have to rely on Amazon. Which is fine with me, I have no problem using Amazon. They have the largest selection and usually the best prices. My archive is well over 1,100 books, so I'm certainly not suffering from the lack of selection!

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
Is everyone here that has the app, just going to update?

I plan on holding on to the version that I have, with the button...

I don't care about updating until they ad features like collections.

Anyway I never purchased kindle books on the iPhone. I have done all my purchases trough a desktop browser and in rare occasions on the Kindle 2 itself.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple should hire more creative software engineers and fewer lawyers and bean counters.

The company is really becoming full of itself. They tout over the air application updating for iOS5 as though THEY invented it. Android already has it, and it works pretty good.

Where does Apple suggest or even hint that they invented that? Granted, the App Store has had it from day one, but... it’s just downloading of an update over the Internet.

(What Apple has done that Android hasn’t is a universal service allowing auto-synching of ALL app data—your scores and creations--totally transparently... without having to manually Synch or even Save. “Synch made simple.” At last.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.