Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Anyone else think they are in need of showing more zombies in Season 2? I don't want to read through the whole thread since I know some here have read the comics and I'm afraid of spoilers but it feels like there are less zombies this season than the first one. (I know the original director was fired or walked off because the producers wanted less zombies to save money).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is something I brought up with my girlfriend. She hasn't watched the show yet, but she asked about the female characters on the show.
1) Sits in a caravan all day.
2) Is caught in some love triangle and is pregnant.
3) Scowls all the time and doesn't think. Generally an unpleasant character.
4) Wants emotionless sex to p**s off her strict father.

They haven't really done a good job with them, IMO. And I really hope they get fleshed out a bit.
LOST on the other hand (which my friends compare to since that was the last great American sci-fi show we watched) had a string of powerful, non-cliched female characters. Same for Heroes.

You and Queen... :p
1. Dale sits on top of the Caravan every day.
2. Two men are involved in the love triangle. It's nothing that was planned. In the show (not the comic) Shane told her, her husband was dead. And you are blaming Lori for this?
3. Andrea is unhappy with her life. I see some people men and women reacting this way. Shane is unhappy too.
4. She is hiding her sexual activities from her father. Maybe she just wants a "little fun" before she dies and there is not many opportunities living on the farm with Dad.

Anyone else think they are in need of showing more zombies in Season 2? I don't want to read through the whole thread since I know some here have read the comics and I'm afraid of spoilers but it feels like there are less zombies this season than the first one. (I know the original director was fired or walked off because the producers wanted less zombies to save money).

The exact nature of the dispute is unknown, but my understanding is the original director was involved with the navigation of the story for most if not all of Season 2. I think there is a line that you don't want to cross with zombie fighting. There were plenty of zombies on the medical run. :)

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I think these people are uber-religious, I think they refuse to kill (the already dead) people in their barn. Or it people they know and think there will be a cure.

Either way, good lord they are going to knock the door down.:eek:

Glen went from Horny to horrified in about 1 second.

If Daryl is not original to the books then how about his brother Merle? Is he an original character or another one created just for the TV show? My wife and I keep wondering when, how, or if he will ever show back up.

Neither are in the books. But I am really liking Daryl's character. Every once in a while I wait for him to break out in an Irish accent! :D

The barn should be interesting. I hope they keep it along the lines of the books as this is going to get real good.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
The most shocking event in Season 2 is when Shane spoiler> shoots Otis to facilitate his escape <end spoiler on the medical equipment run?? I don't know if there is a parallel in the comics. Was Shane morally justified or just being pragmatic and self serving? His actions saved Carl Grimes. Otis had all ready told him to go on ahead...

That scene is not parallel in the comic. spoiler> Otis survives much, much longer in the comic. <end spoiler. My guess (and take it with whatever grains of salt suits you) is that the producers want to minimize the number of long-term cast additions; I think the only survivors from the farm after this story arc ends will be Maggie and perhaps Herschel.

The big surprise in the comic (stop here if you plan on reading it) spoiler> is that while Shane attacks Rick and is about to kill him over his wife, when little Carl Grimes shoots him dead, <end spoiler before they make it to the CDC.

If my above guess is right, then the producers made a strategic exception here. I think that any actor wanting to audition for a character so close to the core characters would seriously reconsider taking the job if he knew that the script followed the comic for Shane's fate, so they skipped that confrontation. (Can't have the show's big love triangle end so quickly, y'know... gotta keep that female viewer demographic.)

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I'm not sure if my dvr cut off the ending of last weeks episode. Did anything happen after wife and sheriff talked about the affair she had or was that the end of the show? Thank you.

codymac

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009

General Zombie
All My Zombies
As the Zombie Turns
Days of Our Zombies

Might as well pick one since the show has turned into a soap opera.
:(

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sigh at that last episode. This is turning into a soap opera. Release the darn zombies from the barn and let's get it on!! That Asian guy is such a snitch.

UlsterApple

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Northern Ireland
I'm glad the show is doing well, but I have to admit that I don't have a high opinion of it.

I regularly watch it, but as a fan of the zombie genre from the 1970s I'm a bit let down at how blase it is. There have been some great images - the bit in the hospital where the dead fingers curl round the chained doors.... wow! But as for the fear.. the terror... the anxiety of the survivors?
We have walking corpses that eat people. Millions of them!
So..... lets all live in tents in the woods and wander about washing our clothes etc totally unconcerned. I'd be in a fortified castle for god's sake!
it is losing its' way a bit, we've lost the threat from the actual walkers and it's now just down to soap-opera relationships as nfl46 says. How long can they drag it out on a basic premis?
Let's get back to danger / suspense / fear!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Alright guys, time for another night of this show. Hopefully, they finally find Sophia and let those walkers in the barn go!

Tonight is the midseason finale!

This is the last episode until Feb 2012. :(

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
No spoilers, but I hope they decide to do what readers of the novel know is already long overdue...that would be an excellent finale to a great first half of the season :) (Aside from the Sophia plot...that's really just dragged on too long now - maybe 3 episodes, not 7+...)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

This Season 2 is so dragged out. Season 1 was so much better...it was 6 episodes that kept us on feet.

Omg at the ending!!!! Wow!!!

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Needs a little bit of a pick me up, but it has gotten better since the start of season 2.

The ending of the interim season 2 finale was unexpected.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Needs a little bit of a pick me up, but it has gotten better since the start of season 2.

The ending of the interim season 2 finale was unexpected.

Actually the ending probably *should've* been expected...that was the big question through basically 6 or 7 episodes? We should've known better.

I was actually thinking of the OTHER big thing that happened in the books, but that could come before season 2 is done.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow! Should have expected the ending that we got. I was hoping the girl was still with the living. Glen is right, too many secrets. And I have to say that no matter how much Shane is a jerk, hot headed, an a@&h@le, a maniac, control freak, etc he has some smart and right ideas.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
I was hoping the girl was still with the living.

Part of me was agreeing with you. However, that's one less regular cast member to have on the payroll, and it provides a somewhat interesting twist.

In case anyone is wondering: spoiler --> as of the time of this post, Sophia is still alive in the comic and in a relationship with Carl, so this ending is a major divergence from the comic's plotline. <-- end spoiler

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
This is actually a lul in the action even in the books. It should pick up about halfway through the start of the season again in February.

It was so hoping she was in the barn. I was done with that plot line and now that it is over I am hoping they move on and they find the prison. Oh and I hope to god we get to meet the governor! :D:):D

I thought it was a pretty good ending and I also thought this was a good season. No complaints. It was a little slow at times but we are getting to know the characters and I have a feeling some of them won't be around much longer!

Ooops.. meant governor..

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wonder if the episode where the barn Walkers get out is going to be the final episode for Shane.

Good question. After watching the first-half-of-the-season finale episode, I was waiting for him to be gunned down, but he survived. Tension is good for stories of this nature. :)

Sigh at that last episode. This is turning into a soap opera. Release the darn zombies from the barn and let's get it on!! That Asian guy is such a snitch.

Glen did not ask for the secrets. They were thrust upon him.

I was actually just going to ask, why are there walkers in the barn? I must have missed that bit !?!?

Lol, you did. Hershel is keeping family members, and friends in the barn hoping there will be an opportunity to heal them. I was a little disappointed in this thinking it was going to be something sinister.

So..... lets all live in tents in the woods and wander about washing our clothes etc totally unconcerned. I'd be in a fortified castle for god's sake!

If you have not figured it out, this group of people is searching for a safe haven. ;)

No spoilers, but I hope they decide to do what readers of the novel know is already long overdue...that would be an excellent finale to a great first half of the season :) (Aside from the Sophia plot...that's really just dragged on too long now - maybe 3 episodes, not 7+...)

Great ending to the mid season. About time things with Sophia were resolved.

I agree. Nothing significant or consequential occurred after their son Carl was saved. The story dragged a bit with the Sophia issue hanging over it. Not to say that in real life the Sophia issue would have ever been resolved. ;) But, I can see the "boring" critique. I'm into the characters and the premise so I can tolerate it, but they need to pick up the pace.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
I was so hoping she was in the barn. I was done with that plot line and now that it is over I am hoping they move on and they find the prison. Oh and I hope to god we get to meet the general! :D:):D

I thought it was a pretty good ending and I also thought this was a good season. No complaints. It was a little slow at times but we are getting to know the characters and I have a feeling some of them won't be around much longer!

I hope to see the Governor soon as well, but not before Michonne. She could give Daryl a run for his money, action-wise. I wonder, though: With Sophia's death, the comic plot is no longer canonical, so perhaps... maybe... (potential spoiler --> ) Merle makes a comeback as the Governor? <--
I agree that much more time was given to character development this "sub-season" than last. We've seen Shane evolve from being a misguided best friend to a full-blown antagonist, and Andrea from a whiner to a sureshot; heck, we even got to see Daryl develop a little bit of heart.

It'll be interesting to see how Carol deals with Sophia's fate next sub-season.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I hope to see the Governor soon as well, but not before Michonne. She could give Daryl a run for his money, action-wise. I wonder, though: With Sophia's death, the comic plot is no longer canonical, so perhaps... maybe... (potential spoiler --> ) Merle makes a comeback as the Governor? <--
I agree that much more time was given to character development this "sub-season" than last. We've seen Shane evolve from being a misguided best friend to a full-blown antagonist, and Andrea from a whiner to a sureshot; heck, we even got to see Daryl develop a little bit of heart.

It'll be interesting to see how Carol deals with Sophia's fate next sub-season.

I meant governor! I hope we get to see Michonne! Oh that would be freaking great. What would be even better is if this how we first get to meet her!

Attachments

• Issue_19.jpg
    Issue_19.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 189
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.