Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Is this an issue in a 5.1 macpro, I have a gigabyte rx480 8gb on order, with 6 pin.
(Who knows when it will arrive, seriously getting p....d off with every card being on pre-order).

No overclocking, straight out the box, no high end gaming.

Alternatively are there any rx cards which definitely don't draw too much power.
There was a driver update for Windows, to shift the overloading to the cable. They also added a compatibility option in the GUI that you can check if you don't want the card to run out of spec.

On OSX, it would be Apple ensuring that it does not run too thirsty in the power management kext config (but the balance is not here).

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
AMD said in general that one should use the Bootcamp drivers for Windows on the Mac.

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
They said it when they released the Vega driver.
I wouldn't read too much into that statement. While presumably there will be Vega drivers in High Sierra's BootCamp driver pack I'd still always use the latest AMD driver for Windows. A cMP is very much a PC with an X58 chipset and Xeon CPU. Sure, there's EFI, PCIe bus speed limitation, etc, but I would bet money on the AMD Windows driver (which is frequently updated) being far better than a BootCamp driver for Vega, on Windows in a cMP.

When it comes to mobile chips, in a MacBook Pro or iMac (Pro?) for example, then on the whole I would agree with AMD's statement. However, if you're using an old mobile chip then sometimes it is worth trying AMD's latest driver instead of the very dated BootCamp one. This won't always be bug/glitch free but it is usually worth a shot.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
So, now AMD is also on the naming confusion game it seems. Vega 10, and different Radeon Vega 10 for laptops, and now Radeon Vega 10 Mobile and Radeon Vega 8 Mobile both integrated GPUs, with 8 and 11 CUs.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-vega-8-and-vega-10-mobile-spotted

Still following Intel's footsteps, even with the confusing names.
They already had similar names for cards, chips and APUs before.

And the A's and R's in APUs are all over the place.

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Seriously.....does anyone know when this mining cr@p is going to end.

Every single AMD card that I am interested in on Amazon is on pre-order, and has been for months.
I even get emails from them based on my browsing, recommending the same cards which are on pre-order.

I don't mind waiting for something to arrive, but nobody can even give me a rough estimate for stock.
You would think the gpu companies would take advantage of the demand.

Reactions: Synchro3

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh........
Just found a UK store that is selling the pulse rx580 (in stock), BUT its £140 more than my amazon pre-order.
Sooooo tempted, but hate being fleeced by inflated prices :confused:

On a listing on the US amazon, it mentions stock in on sept 23, so don't know if this a mass shipment of cards from sapphire to resellers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.