Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdogg836

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Oklahoma
Yeah, this won't be up long.
And this user won't be allowed to use Google Map Maker:
http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=66&ptab=1&uid=200619129451972425213&start=0&sort=

So this nitricboy has been doing it for some time. It seems he started small when looking at his edits. He's added businesses with silly names, routes that will cause problems to anyone using google maps in that area, and of course the parks that resemble other objects.

For those of you who are slow to read or comprehend, this was not Google, this was an individual who was having fun. This is no different than some end user editing Wikipedia.

Allowing user additions is a good thing most of the time, it allows the accuracy of their own maps to be improved at a rapid rate. Crap like this is unfortunate, hopefully Google will look at their approval process for changes to eliminate these issues.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
It's a prank. Have a laugh, get over it, move on.
It's almost like android fanboys are oblivious that they're fanboys and they react exactly the same as apple fanboys; except, that they assault and bully people that use apple products.

It's a very strange psychosis.
The amount of time I hear people talking about how Apple fans brag is much, much greater than the time I hear Apple fans bragging. There is also this pre-emptive instinct that leads people to defend against an anticipated statement.

There's good natured teasing between friends with different views, but I think what you're talking about is this tendency to lash out. (I think the map hack was good natured teasing, frankly.)

Not all that different from how Fox News tends to characterize the rest of the media, and wrap their assertions in "the other side is going to say" language.

Look how quickly this thread turned into assailing the character of perceived archetypes who frequent these forums. Assumptions of hypocrisy without checking if it's the same poster showing contradictory behavior.

I've seen the same from Apple fans over the years, but less so recently and never at the level I've been seeing directed at Apple lately.

I don't mean this to sound snide, but I think it's a symptom of an inferiority complex. A need to outwardly justify a decision or emotion.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
You have to be a fool to believe Google would be directly involved. They have no reason to play the fanboy role. It's a waste of time and resources. Same reason why I don't post fanboyish comments anymore. It ultimately does not matter and it's a waste of time. Buy what you want.
Totally agree Google would never do something like this. This was something that briefly slipped through the cracks and has quickly been fixed. Google don't engage in this kind of fanboyish. Apple on the other hand ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE6aKeK61A4

RedmondStartYourPhotocopiers.jpg

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I should know better by now, but I'm always amazed about how much what product other people use affects some....

This is true for some Apple users, some android users, some pickup trucks drivers, etc

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Given the other found easter egg above, I wouldn't bet on Google having done this.

Also - childish employees exist at every company.

True enough. These sorts of childish pranks are things that "Early Apple" would have done. Early Apple referring to the early years when Cupertino was flying the pirate flag back in the good old days.

Reactions: fermat-au
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.