Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Google has already indicated that it was willing to pay and settle this case with Oracle.

If there's proof (and there are plenty) that Google willingly infringed on Java patents owned by Oracle, the amount of money Google will pay Oracle will TRIPLE. is that clear enough for you?

I posted this because a lot of people are following this case.

Your making this out to be a really big deal, it's not.

Ok so they pay triple or whatever, doesn't matter. Whatever they have to pay would be like pocket change for anyone else.

FrozenTomato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Google will pay up and keep going. End of story.

Not Quite.

If the cost of putting Android on their phones is significantly higher than putting say, WP7, HTC/Samsung/Motorola/etc. has no choice but to drop Android and adopt WP7/Meego/etc.

Microsoft ALREADY collects patent royalties from HTC due to it's use of Android. Samsung will soon pay Microsoft $10 per Android phone sold.

Apple/MS/etc. hasn't even started using the Nortel patents against Google.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Google will pay up and keep going. End of story.

Pretty much.....another meaningless thread. Just funny that he posted a 6 year old quote. It isnt going to hurt Google at all. Oracle didnt even buy Java from Sun Microsystems till April 2009 so it isnt like Oracle invented it anyways. They just bought them out. So my take on this matter is: Who cares? Apple fanboys, thats who!

FrozenTomato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Your making this out to be a really big deal, it's not.

Ok so they pay triple or whatever, doesn't matter. Whatever they have to pay would be like pocket change for anyone else.

it's a big deal, if Oracle, Microsoft, Apple, etc. starts collecting patent royalties the cost of using Android will be to much for Android phone manufacturers like HTC/Samsung/Motorola. They will have no choice but to use an OS that's

1) a lot cheaper than Android (WP7/Meego/etc.)

2) won't get them sued by Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, and other patent holders.

Pretty much.....another meaningless thread. Just funny that he posted a 6 year old quote. It isnt going to hurt Google at all. Oracle didnt even buy Java from Sun Microsystems till April 2009 so it isnt like Oracle invented it anyways. They just bought them out.

it looks like you don't understand the importance of this email.

The email PROVES that Google knowingly and willingly infringed on Java patents owned by Sun/Oracle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
a lot of people care about this topic. if you don't care be quiet. :)

Yes because 6 years ago an email was sent on the matter and you are the first to bring it up...LOL. Yeah , ok!
Your agenda is clear....every phone should use iOS and the this forum and yourself would be very happy. But then the iPhone would stink with nobody pushing them to be better.

FrozenTomato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Yes because 6 years ago an email was sent on the matter and you are the first to bring it up...LOL. Yeah , ok!
Your agenda is clear....every phone should use iOS and the this forum and yourself would be very happy. But then the iPhone would stink just like Madden football does now.

Like i said earlier. This was evidence that was presented to the judge by Oracle against Google a few days ago.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Microsoft ALREADY collects patent royalties from HTC due to it's use of Android. Samsung will soon pay Microsoft $10 per Android phone sold.

Isin't it $5 per handset sold by HTC to Microsoft? Source

Now, HTC's more successful phones are easily their Android handsets (which is why Microsoft make more money from HTC's Android handsets than their Windows Phone handsets)

So, to use Android today it costs HTC:
$0 for the core OS avaiable at source.android.com
Whatever Google charges to include the closed source components (Market, GMail, Google Maps)
$5 fee to Microsoft

This gives HTC the freedom to produce handsets that can cater to multiple budgets and sell well (hence HTC's strong performance recently).

Unless Microsoft charges less than $5 per WP7 licence (according to the ElectricPig article it is $15) and MeeGo isn't patent encumbered in any way, what is the advantage of them switching exclusively to a poorly performing platform (WP7) or a dead one (MeeGo)?

FrozenTomato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Isin't it $5 per handset sold by HTC to Microsoft? Source

Now, HTC's more successful phones are easily their Android handsets (which is why Microsoft make more money from HTC's Android handsets than their Windows Phone handsets)

So, to use Android today it costs HTC:
$0 for the core OS avaiable at source.android.com
Whatever Google charges to include the closed source components (Market, GMail, Google Maps)
$5 fee to Microsoft

This gives HTC the freedom to produce handsets that can cater to multiple budgets and sell well (hence HTC's strong performance recently).

Unless Microsoft charges less than $5 per WP7 licence (according to the ElectricPig article it is $15) and MeeGo isn't patent encumbered in any way, what is the advantage of them switching exclusively to a poorly performing platform (WP7) or a dead one (MeeGo)?

Add..

1) Apple's patent royalties
2) Additional Apple/Microsoft/etc. patent royalties from Nortel patents
3) Oracle's demands of $15-$20 per Android device from manufacturers
4) Lawyer fees and other expenses from lawsuits

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/07/06/ms.faces.resistance.on.samsung.android.payments/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20077979-94/oracle-and-microsoft-could-cash-in-big-on-android/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20077910-266/oracle-might-seek-fees-from-android-handset-makers/

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Add..

1) Apple's patent royalties
2) Additional Apple/Microsoft/etc. patent royalties from Nortel patents
3) Oracle's demands of $15-$20 per Android device from manufacturers
4) Lawyer fees and other expenses from lawsuits

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/07/06/ms.faces.resistance.on.samsung.android.payments/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20077979-94/oracle-and-microsoft-could-cash-in-big-on-android/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20077910-266/oracle-might-seek-fees-from-android-handset-makers/
Do you have a crystal ball or something?

The Maeil Business Newspaper understood that Microsoft was trying to get $15 for every Android device Samsung makes

Oracle and Microsoft could cash in big on Android

Oracle might seek fees from Android handset makers

What was the puropose of those articles? "Trying", "could" and "might" doesn't mean anything today.

EDIT: Your thread at AppleInsider is doing far better (not a surprise considering the userbase over there): http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?p=1907064 - I assume this is you, yes?

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

What was the puropose of those articles? "Trying", "could" and "might" doesn't mean anything today.

EDIT: Your thread at AppleInsider is doing far better (not a surprise considering the userbase over there): http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?p=1907064 - I assume this is you, yes?

Lol, you're like some kind of internet wizard detective ;) nice find.
Also, I thought I'd tell you I liked your old avatar more, but the one you have now allowed me to finally understand the Zune logo.

FrozenTomato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011

The point is your assumptions/calculations are pointless because you haven't considered a lot of things. :cool:

FrozenTomato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
why are both of you (ChazUK and boss.king) so upset about this thread anyway? i assume you're both "fandroids"? :D

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Lol, you're like some kind of internet wizard detective ;) nice find.
Also, I thought I'd tell you I liked your old avatar more, but the one you have now allowed me to finally understand the Zune logo.

Should I go back to Tiny Wings Avatar? :eek:

I did a quick Google search on the quoted text in this thread and the three most prominent results were the AppleInsider thread, this thread and the FOSSpatents post by Mr Mueller. It seems that someone has an agenda.....

why are both of you (ChazUK and boss.king) so upset about this thread anyway? i assume you're both "fandroids"? :D

I'm not upset by the thread at all, I simply love the discussion (without the namecalling).

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

You assume wrong. I only stated that this thread is in the wrong place. The other post was simply that I didn't think this would affect Google too much, and the third wasn't directed towards you in any way.

Haha, that's up to you, I'm just a fan Tiny Wings :)

FrozenTomato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011

I did a quick Google search on the quoted text in this thread and the three most prominent results were the AppleInsider thread, this thread and the FOSSpatents post by Mr Mueller. It seems that someone has an agenda.....

There is no agenda, and I don't know Florian Mueller.

There are a lot of people interested in this topic. People who are rooting for Google, and People who are rooting against.

I obviously, HATE Google. :D

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
It would probably be settled out of court anyways. Im sure Google has some money they could spare for Oracle. Android isn't screwed. Like someone said, "This is a pretty minor setback for Google", if something every does come of it. Trivial dispute that will have to be settled and Google will still be here and so will Android..

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I obviously, HATE Google. :D

I never would have guessed! :p

I do think that the subject is a very cool, interesting one and welcome everyone's opinions of it. Whilst the whole subject is interesting, this "smoking gun" revelation is either relatively unknown or meaningless judging by the lack of news/articles on the quote.

The image below is a search for the exact quote with only 9 results.

Attachments

• quote.png
    quote.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 64

FrozenTomato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I never would have guessed! :p

I do think that the subject is a very cool, interesting one and welcome everyone's opinions of it. Whilst the whole subject is interesting, this "smoking gun" revelation is either relatively unknown or meaningless judging by the lack of news/articles on the quote.

The image below is a search for the exact quote with only 9 results.

search for "Oracle Google patent suit" :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
In other news, Oracle has just been ordered to lower their damage claims against Google from the 6.1 billion $ they seeked to somewhere around 100$ million :

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ordered_to_lower_damages_claim_against_Google

This follows their patent claims being reduced to 2 from 128, with many declared invalid. Also, with the removal of their copyright claims, this doesn't leave them with much of a case.

Google still has not been found guilty of infringing on the patent claims that do remain and since Davlik is clean room vs the Oracle JVM stuff, I very much doubt Google willfully infringed on those patents, they probably worked around them (there's many ways to skin a cat).

Again guys : Florian Mueller = troll. He spreads FUD. Don't pay any attention to his worthless blog, he's been wrong everytime he posted something about the case.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Pretty much.....another meaningless thread. Just funny that he posted a 6 year old quote. It isnt going to hurt Google at all. Oracle didnt even buy Java from Sun Microsystems till April 2009 so it isnt like Oracle invented it anyways. They just bought them out. So my take on this matter is: Who cares? Apple fanboys, thats who!

And why are your statements any less BS than others in the thread? Are you part of Google's or Oracle's legal team?

And it looks like your overstating the importance. Who cares! This thread should be closed.

And now he's a moderator. :rolleyes:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
If anything this is bad news for iPhone...less competition = less intention for innovation
By the way isn't that what Apple had been doing for ages? Try to kill competitors by patent trolling.

Apple innovates regardless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.