Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It isn't a good situation for the company, eventually releases of iPhones will not generate the immediate rushes we have seen in the past. You don't want the community judging a devices success by the length of the lines seen at the malls. I can see Apple doing much in the future to moderate these rushes to the malls.

One option they have is the early release to the online store. Pre orders are part of this but they could go father and make the first couple of weeks online only. Not only does this truncate the lines at the malls it makes distribution far easier for Apple as they don't have to balance inventory across all of their stores.

Yes. And note that Apple has already done that with iPads. Last year when the Air 2 was released they didn't even say when it would be available in store. I just ordered it online.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I think what's interesting about this whole Apple Watch roll-out is the extent that Apple has gone to NOT sell it like the other products. They really are going to extremes to sell this product in a more personal and one-to-one manner. As opposed to other smart watch people to have 1 or 2 options and sell it like any other tech item.

It will be interesting to see how this really pans out. I have a feeling this different sales approach is really going to make the Apple Watch a huge success.

tw1ll

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
All that cash & so little originality?

I see the latest ludicrously $rewarded head of retail has mastered the vacuous language of Apple so often heard at the product launches. The unfortunate trend of style over substance continues unabated. It gets increasingly hard to tell if Apple are masters of self-parody or simply seeing how far they can push the ludicrous rhetoric before any public mocking becomes damaging. That said - keep up the good work - the stock price is still rising!

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Is this really that much different that what they're already doing? The last time I saw a line at the Apple store there were two lines, one was a first come first serve line the other was a preorder line. Both were long, but the pre-orders/reservations were guaranteed to get one. Sounds like this simply means the first come first serve line is gone and the pre-order line will just be longer.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
But a product sold, is a product sold.

Heck, many of the people buying concert tickets aren't ever going to go to the concert. I hate scalpers too, but...

There is one thing of which I'm sure.

Continue the removal of the mystique, the religion surrounding Apple, and Apple will die. That's what almost killed it before.

But I guess, in the end, all God's must die...

....scalpers are bad because they overbuy. Apple dislikes returns...a lot. Let's say you buy iPhone 7s.....at $8,388. Seems like a lot for Apple, but let's say you can't sell them. When you return it to Apple...Apple takes the lost

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The lines of non-english speakers at the launches for the iPhone 5S and the iPhone 6 for the Triads to scalp on in foreign markets that killed it.

Check out the Casey Neistat youtube channel.

Be careful spewing the truth around this thread, you might be labeled a racist bigot. :D

But yes, I'm sure that contributed since it was NOT a good experience for people and Apple wants the consumer experience in stores to be be better apparently.

jdpruitt

Suspended
Oct 15, 2011
Angela: Ever hear of social proof?

The social proof is what makes the lines so great - people walking around a mall say "what's going on at the Apple Store?" It's free advertising. That's what makes launches so great. Angela sounds like a bozo hire if she can't understand how the lines contribute to excitement around a product. jeez.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I still walked in on iPhone 6 release day at 2pm and walked out with a white 64gb 6+ with no problem.

Got it before all the poor bastards waiting through the night in the states, too.

Then that is what she is talking about (hopefully) I really wouldn't see Apple turning anyone away telling them to order online.

Now, ordering online as scheduling for pick up is a better way to go about making sure that you get what you wanted.

rickshill

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Macbook with not be available for purchase on Friday in Apple Stores

Just conformed with a Manager at a large Apple Store that the new Macbook will fall under these guidelines as well. There will be one of each color to view on Friday but they will NOT be in stock. They can help you purchase online......It seems like this is the new standard with Apple Stores...No stock till product ships from website with no delays.....Kills some of the magic

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The messaging must start within the company, at all levels. It can't just be an insincere afterthought attempting to translate black and white business speak into something more palatable for the public. In other words, they need to have a customer-focused reason for any policy changes such as this, and the messaging must flow naturally from there.

There's no need to replace Schiller. His role goes far beyond messaging and he's done an admirable job in his years with the company. If anything, it's Tim Cook's delivery that I find most lacking. Again, nothing against him in his role as CEO - he's accomplished something monumental since taking over the reigns. But he's not a product guy nor a good story teller.

All the major players at Apple are doing a great job, but none of them have Jobs's storytelling gift. They need to first admit that their messaging is flat and then find someone to help them with the storytelling. This should not be some high profile, eight figure hire from a major corporation. The role might very well be served by one or more people already working at the company. It should not be difficult to find someone who can tell an eloquent story about an Apple product.

I agree with you re: Cook and I'm a bit surprised Apple is pushing him as company spokesperson as much as they are. Jony Ive doesn't go on stage because he knows he would be terrible on stage. So he does product narration via video which is something his voice is suited for. But Apple definitely needs someone to work on PR, messaging and advertising. I think that needs to be moved out from under Schiller. I don't think it's his strong suite.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Be careful spewing the truth around this thread, you might be labeled a racist bigot. :D

But yes, I'm sure that contributed since it was NOT a good experience for people and Apple wants the consumer experience in stores to be be better apparently.

you can only be labeled a racist or bigot when you say racist or bigoted comments.

That being said, I am sure there where more than 'non English speaking' scalpers looking to make a few buck by selling iPhone on the black market or IDK ebay.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I think what's interesting about this whole Apple Watch roll-out is the extent that Apple has gone to NOT sell it like the other products. They really are going to extremes to sell this product in a more personal and one-to-one manner. As opposed to other smart watch people to have 1 or 2 options and sell it like any other tech item.

It will be interesting to see how this really pans out. I have a feeling this different sales approach is really going to make the Apple Watch a huge success.

You're the only one who seems to get it around here. Not only this, is a multifaceted benefit for Apple. The amount of returns go down when someone is REALLY sure they want something. Apple's trying to have customer's make statements about themselves.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The social proof is what makes the lines so great - people walking around a mall say "what's going on at the Apple Store?" It's free advertising. That's what makes launches so great. Angela sounds like a bozo hire if she can't understand how the lines contribute to excitement around a product. jeez.

Besides iPhone when do people stand in line for Apple products these days? Did anybody ever stand in line for new Macs?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Having the try on period start concurrently with the pre-order isn't helping much because people will fear the possibility of backorders pushing delivery dates way past the 24th. Or not...it remains to be seen how many people like the watch enough to even pay attention to the pre-order.

Definitely agree with you there. It's as if Apple is working backwards... because if I decided that I wanted an Apple Watch on launch day I'll surely have to preorder it at midnight on the 10th because hesitating to see if i would like it by going to the Apple Store to try it on will result it going on backorder.

I would prefer Apple to allow customers go through the "try on" process and then get first-go at ordering the Apple Watch. Because it could help in deciding what the individual wants. But then I wonder how long the process is with manufacturing Apple Watches... compared to the iPhone & iPad. Could it be less time consuming pushing out orders for Apple Watches?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The whole idea behind buying in a store vs buying online is that you don't have to wait.
You go to the store, find the product, buy it and take it home right away.

Online shopping is great, but buying a wearable item such as a watch, shoes and some clothing, requires going to the store and try it on. And while you are there, take it home.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
I agree with you re: Cook and I'm a bit surprised Apple is pushing him as company spokesperson as much as they are. Jony Ive doesn't go on stage because he knows he would be terrible on stage. So he does product narration via video which is something his voice is suited for. But Apple definitely needs someone to work on PR, messaging and advertising. I think that needs to be moved out from under Schiller. I don't think it's his strong suite.

Phil? I don't think he would be right for that. Craig, however, has the gift of talking and engaging the audience which is very important. It should be this guy.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK

That was in the US, so I'm a relatively impartial observer as regards that.

Now if I were to mention the reservation queue on launch day for a local Apple Store in the UK... ;)

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
I have to say I'm really glad about this. Can't stand the scalpers ! and hopefully this will put an end to them !

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Just conformed with a Manager at a large Apple Store that the new Macbook will fall under these guidelines as well. There will be one of each color to view on Friday but they will NOT be in stock. They can help you purchase online......It seems like this is the new standard with Apple Stores...No stock till product ships from website with no delays.....Kills some of the magic

This killed The Gateway retail stores. No one wanted to go into a store and then after they decided to buy, be told to order online and wait for their shipment to arrive.

poppy10

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
UK
Think this move will backfire. The long lines on launch day (and the news reports they attracted) acted as massive free advertising on the desirability of the product.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Think this move will backfire. The long lines on launch day (and the news reports they attracted) acted as massive free advertising on the desirability of the product.

Not only that, but there's a visceral, primordial reassurance in seeing a huge crowd of other people validating your decision to buy at Apple. It's a safety-in-numbers sort-of thing.

You can't see a crowd online.

----------

Online shopping is great, but buying a wearable item such as a watch, shoes and some clothing, requires going to the store and try it on. And while you are there, take it home.

I know. This new model is like the worst of both worlds!

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Does anyone else think this is insulting? If I'm in a retail store it's to buy a product right then and there. The "please order this online" line would make me roll me eyes.

You still go to the retail store to buy the product right then and there. You just have to make a reservation in advance. For example, reserve an Apple Watch on April 10th, then pick it up in store on April 24th.

Your only other options would be showing up on the 24th and being told either:
1) "We don't have any in stock. Please come back later."
2) "We have a line of 500 people over there who have been waiting a few days. Please join the queue at the end, so that eight hours from now we can likely tell you we don't have any in stock and to come back later."

Picking up a keyboard, Airport Extreme, or iPad Air 2? Sure, you'll get it right away, just like before. No lines for those these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.