Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think the lines were good publicity at one point but those days seem to be long gone. I think the iPhone 6 launch killed it.

I was thinking that it was the iPhone 4 that was the last of the "OMG LOOK AT THE APPLE STORE LINES!!!" phenomenon.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Might just be me, but when I walk into a B&M and get told to go home to order online, I feel insulted. Like I don't know that I could order things online :rolleyes: I do wonder if Apple is afraid of this launch being a ghost town that they put up this charade..

I do admit though that I'm now mildly interested in the Apple Watch, but I will not buy one until Apple can at least match the battery life of LG's (a forum member here tested over two days of battery life, with the screen on the whole time).

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I haven't stood in line for an Apple product in years. I agree that ordering online is far more efficient. But this company memo is truly tone deaf to the sensibilities of Apple's passionately loyal customer base.

While Apple appears to be firing on all cylinders under Time Cook's watch, one thing is strikingly missing: the messaging.

Apple appears to have lost their ability to tell the story of why a new product is a must have, what is the reason for its existence, what gnawing everyday frustration it's eliminating... Their product announcements, while serviceable, seem more and more like canned collections of the same marketing buzzwords without the rich storytelling we'd all grown accustomed to.

There are many perfectly good reasons why Apple would want to encourage customers to order products online and reduce the phenomenon of overcrowded stores and long lines, but without a warm, catchy, heartwarming story around it, this sounds less like Apple and more like something you'd expect from Best Buy.

But a lot of the messaging that's leaking re:retail was never intended for the public. We're getting bits and pieces of internal memos/training materials. Most people who don't come to sites like this will be completely oblivious to all this noise. As far as new product launches go you're right. Tim Cook can't replace Steve Jobs as Apple's ultimate salesman on stage. And from things Ken Segall has written it's clear Phi Schiller wasn't as involved with or close to Apple's marketing agencies when Steve was alive. Personally I think Apple should reassign Schiller (perhaps let him be responsible for Apple's first party applications) and bring someone new in to run marketing.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
I think this is smart. Scalpers are bad news. When Apple creates more supply, many scalpers end up returning products which becomes a big problem in the long run.

That's exactly why I think Apple did this to prevent it. Long lines are also a security problem and an embarrassing sight. They cheer like dorks.

It's not the first time I've seen long lines and used to work at a coffee chain years ago that's famous for this. I can tell you that it's a pain in the a$$ and angers other customers waiting for other drinks, taking up valuable space.

It's as stupid as lining up for Black Friday. There's nothing special about being in a long line at the Apple Store. Nothing. Don't get me started with the cult feeling because I'm familiar with propaganda and cult like brainwashing ( the sense of belonging bis branding ).

Now at a comic book or other convention setting,, or a concert, I can understand that. But a store?

But hey, I warned that Timmy Cook was the wrong guy for the job and OKed this. The Apple Store is under Angela and Jony's guiding hands.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I heard they were going to limit the number of questions and time that a 'rube' could take at these appointments.

Making appointments, and being shooed out for taking too much time isn't 'Apple'. It's Sacrilege!
I also read they will limit the samples you can look at to two or three (and I have no problem with that, I can just see some arguments ahead between customers and staff). It will be sort of like speed dating your Apple Watch purchase.

I can see a an SNL or Conan parody coming out of all this.

Have the "Gold is Best" guy from Conan's iPhone skit come out to shout to some hapless customer waste his try on choice on an Edition because "Gold is Best. Best!"

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Not everyone lives in a secure neighborhood or has a secure mailroom--I remember the post from the college student who had his IPhone 6 delivery stolen from the campus mailroom. That leaves the option of driving out to some pickup facility. That's really glamorous.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you. But Ahrendts is referring to doing a pick up from Apple Store which would eliminate any issues of stolen products via shipping.

I'm kind of torn between the two... It's definitely convenient of ordering online yet going to Apple waiting in line and enjoying the experience while meeting likeminded people is worthwhile..

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I do admit though that I'm now mildly interested in the Apple Watch, but I will not buy one until Apple can at least match the battery life of LG's (a forum member here tested over two days of battery life, with the screen on the whole time).

The LG's 'always on' watch mode dims the screen and doesn't show the second hand.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidWear/comments/2mbx6m/what_does_the_always_on_screen_mode_on_the_lg_g/

So, there are always trade-offs.

I have no doubt that Apple will offer something similar in the future.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm sure Ron Johnson (the genius who built Apple Retail in the first place) had some good reasons too when he moved to JCPenney and then almost killed it.

Johnson arrived with a world-class retail vision for "the new JCPenney" and an invincible track record built at at Apple and (prior to that) Target. Pundits applauded it.

But it wasn't what Penney's customers wanted. And they walked. Johnson was fired.

Do you think the 74M people who bought iPhones last quarter really care about standing in line to get the product? I dobut it. I think the whole experience of standing in line and the newsworthy-ness of long lines outside Apple stores died after the first iPad launched. And it really died once Samsung started running commercials making fun of "iSheep" standing in line waiting for the next iPhone. These days the news stories are about scalpers more than anything else.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
I drove 2 hours to attend my first major Apple product launch, and was amazed at what an awesome feeling it was.

The employees of the store were outside getting people to cheer and it was just like a line waiting for a Dead concert I'd imagine.

I learned more that day, and met more amazing people than I'd ever expected. (I actually went for the t-shirt)

It made me feel like the time (before lotteries ruined it) waiting overnight for concert tickets.

The camaraderie, the celebration, the almost religious tone... The revery...

Now all gone? It's blasphemy. Heresy. Mistaken. Tragic!

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Make her stop!!!!!! Make the nasty woman stop!!!!!!

View attachment 538859

I think Apple wants to appeal to a very different people than, shall we say, yesterday's interesting fans, like you. In fact I think the people Apple wants to appeal don't like that other kind of people. I mean, they're going to start selling luxury watches and their product iterations these days are being based on spectacular designs and luxurious appeal, color combinations.

No offense, Apple is not the urban-coolness-young-people-alternative-thinking it was when it almost went bankrupt and released the iPod anymore. Apple is the high-end-luxurious-tech-high-income company, and that implies these forums are not going to like their new politics, probably.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I haven't stood in line for an Apple product in years. I agree that ordering online is far more efficient. But this company memo is truly tone deaf to the sensibilities of Apple's passionately loyal customer base.

While Apple appears to be firing on all cylinders under Time Cook's watch, one thing is strikingly missing: the messaging.

Apple appears to have lost their ability to tell the story of why a new product is a must have, what is the reason for its existence, what gnawing everyday frustration it's eliminating... Their product announcements, while serviceable, seem more and more like canned collections of the same marketing buzzwords without the rich storytelling we'd all grown accustomed to.

There are many perfectly good reasons why Apple would want to encourage customers to order products online and reduce the phenomenon of overcrowded stores and long lines, but without a warm, catchy, heartwarming story around it, this sounds less like Apple and more like something you'd expect from Best Buy.

Yes, they seem to have lost a noticeable bit of the 'Old Tyme Religion' that they had in the day...

It was like that with Sun too. There were people that worshiped Sun Microsystems. People that had Sparcstations in their dorms, in their homes, spoke, ate, drank, slept Solaris...

Then Larry Ellison buys them out.

The loudest chorus I heard was for Oracle to transfer the Sun server line to, of all companies, Apple!

Apple. A company practically BUILT on brand religion. Apple could have done great things with the Sun line, but in their stagger, with everything that's happened lately, they would have probably killed the line anyway...

Apple has lost a lot of it's mysticism. It's 'joie de vivre'. It's urgency, its innocence, its immaturity... Its rebelliousness...

I think that Apple is in danger of taking their own history too seriously. it was THAT religion, THAT brand rebelliousness, THAT immaturity that made Apple Computer THE computer to have. It's what made Apple the near religion it was...

You can't cage that!

You can't control that!

You can't, with their ratings in sales, afford to thumb your nose at it...

If Apple new product launches become 'Take a number', or 'Sorry, you have to pre-order first', the 'brand' of Apple will suffer a devastating body blow, and may never recover...

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
I'm sure Ron Johnson (the genius who built Apple Retail in the first place) had some good reasons too when he moved to JCPenney and then almost killed it.

Johnson arrived with a world-class retail vision for "the new JCPenney" and an invincible track record built at at Apple and (prior to that) Target. Pundits applauded it.

But it wasn't what Penney's customers wanted. And they walked. Johnson was fired.

Ron Johnson was a perfect match for Apple. He is largely responsible for the success of Apple's retail rollout.

Can't imagine what made him think the same formula would work for an outdated retail store with a lousy product line and bargain-focused customers.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Wow, sounds like you could have a bright career at a pizza joint in Indiana.

You clearly never worked at Apple during a product launch. Foreign scalpers flock the stores, thats the truth. And it can highly detract from other customers who actually WANT TO BUY AND USE the product from purchasing one. Your comparison has no basis.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Do you think the 74M people who bought iPhones last quarter really care about standing in line to get the product? I dobut it. I think the whole experience of standing in line and the newsworthy-ness of long lines outside Apple stores died after the first iPad launched. And it really died once Samsung started running commercials making fun of "iSheep" standing in line waiting for the next iPhone. These days the news stories are about scalpers more than anything else.

Agreed.

And with all the Thanksgiving/Black Friday crowd issues (fights/deaths by stomping), the Apple issue in China last year, I think Apple does NOT want bad publicity if something like that occurs in an Apple line. One bad thing happening outweighs all the good publicity with the lines.

Instead, if there is a line outside of people just picking up pre-orders, it will be a lot happier bunch out there, for a shorter period of time, with no pushing or shoving - because everyone will get their reserved item.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Might just be me, but when I walk into a B&M and get told to go home to order online, I feel insulted. Like I don't know that I could order things online :rolleyes: I do wonder if Apple is afraid of this launch being a ghost town that they put up this charade..

What's the real world benefit of two day battery life over one day?

For a watch, anything that lasts less than a day is useless. Once you get past that hurdle, the watch simply joins your iPhone in your overnight charging ritual.

But if the battery lasts for two days, now you have to break the routine and remember to recharge it at irregular intervals. I had that experience with a fitness tracker and the irregular charging routine often surprised me with a dead battery, which lead to my abandonment of the gadget.

GaryDauphin

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014
$17,000 line? Nope.

While I agree that someone buying $10K to $17K watch should not have to wait outdoors in a line, I don't think this Senior Apple VP understands the publicity value Apple has gotten over the years of all the news reporters showing the long lines of Apple fans awaiting the new iPhones....

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I think Apple wants to appeal to a very different people than, shall we say, yesterday's interesting fans, like you. In fact I think the people Apple wants to appeal don't like that other kind of people. I mean, they're going to start selling luxury watches and their product iterations these days are being based on spectacular designs and luxurious appeal, color combinations.

No offense, Apple is not the urban-coolness-young-people-alternative-thinking it was when it almost went bankrupt and released the iPod anymore. Apple is the high-end-luxurious-tech-high-income company, and that implies these forums are not going to like their new politics, probably.

But those heathens, those that 'Think Different', GAVE Apple the cash they have. They GAVE Apple the brand religion they thumb their nose at.

I say that perhaps the idea of having a $17,000 Apple Watch is more a condemnation of the society we live in, than a product that Apple should be offering.

But, yes, perhaps Apple is playing a greedy game.

Look at the 'New Mac Pro' for an example. Priced, and equipped way out of the price range of the computer hobbyist, yet an awkward fit for the pro users too.

But anyway, I ramble. I have a full day, and, well, have no control, or input into Apple's future.

I won't be buying an Apple Watch.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not that I'm disagreeing with you. But Ahrendts is referring to doing a pick up from Apple Store which would eliminate any issues of stolen products via shipping.

I'm kind of torn between the two... It's definitely convenient of ordering online yet going to Apple waiting in line and enjoying the experience while meeting likeminded people is worthwhile..
Unfortunately it looks like UK customers won't have any option at all for in-store pickup.

Since scalpers have overtaken the line experience in many cities, I am not completely against Apple trying to make some changes.

As others before me have said, I just don't understand why this 73 million dollar executive can't figure out that having the watches ready for try-on (via orderly appointment if necessary) weeks in advance of the pre-order would really go a long way to promoting confident online purchasing that would reduce needless over-ordering and returns by uncertain people.

Having the try on period start concurrently with the pre-order isn't helping much because people will fear the possibility of backorders pushing delivery dates way past the 24th. Or not...it remains to be seen how many people like the watch enough to even pay attention to the pre-order.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Please don't tell me that you're one of those people that just buys product because of someone's name? So if Hugo Boss came out with a $10,000 themed Apple Watch you would be the first person in line?
And please don't tell me that you only buy Apple products because of the logo? Doesn't it make sense to buy product based on function and quality at a good value? Even if Tim Cook himself signed the back of a $17,000 Apple Watch does it really make it worth $17,000?
There has to be a common sense line that you don't cross or else your chasing empty dreams. And If I meet Hugo Boss on the streets I would treat him no different then any one of you. I don't even know this guy but he has a good con game running if people are buying $75 shirts from him.

You are making assumptions from facts invented in your head. I only said the market spectrum is wide. How you deduct anything about my personal preferences from that is bizarre and incorrect.

What is also bizarre is how you obsess over a product you don't seem to care for. Why is that? Buicks bore me. But I don't waste even a second in car forums discussing why Buicks are stale or overpriced or underpowered or too plasticy. I rather talk about things that interest me.

But no, I don't buy something because of a label. I buy something because it's something I want. However, certain tech companies do have a design language that intrigue me more than others and tend to earn my $ more than others. But I own products from just about every major tech company on the planet.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
But those heathens, those that 'Think Different', GAVE Apple the cash they have. They GAVE Apple the brand religion they thumb their nose at.

I say that perhaps the idea of having a $17,000 Apple Watch is more a condemnation of the society we live in, than a product that Apple should be offering.

But, yes, perhaps Apple is playing a greedy game.

Look at the 'New Mac Pro' for an example. Priced, and equipped way out of the price range of the computer hobbyist, yet an awkward fit for the pro users too.

But anyway, I ramble. I have a full day, and, well, have no control, or input into Apple's future.

I won't be buying an Apple Watch.

So Rolex, Chanel, vacheron, Gucci should pack up and go home?

I'm waiting to see what the apple watch is really like; kind of excited about it.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Unless they DRASTICALLY improve the Genius Bar system as it is now, there will always be lines. It's a joke right now.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
You clearly never worked at Apple during a product launch. Foreign scalpers flock the stores, thats the truth. And it can highly detract from other customers who actually WANT TO BUY AND USE the product from purchasing one. Your comparison has no basis.

But a product sold, is a product sold.

Heck, many of the people buying concert tickets aren't ever going to go to the concert. I hate scalpers too, but...

There is one thing of which I'm sure.

Continue the removal of the mystique, the religion surrounding Apple, and Apple will die. That's what almost killed it before.

But I guess, in the end, all God's must die...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.