Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Okay, fine I was wrong. But my point still remains, maybe the Mac Mini was not designed as an upgradable machine, but it is still multiple components which could be fixed. Besides that, the 2010 Mac Mini used upgradability in their marketing so... why remove it? It doesn't make any sense other than to alienate customers by locking the hardware to the max. Unless someone invents a tool that can magically solder and desolder chips, but that won't happen anytime soon.

The most upgradable Mac I ever owned was a G3 PowerMac. If you lay it on it's side and popped a sliding tab it opened like a book. All the drive bays, ram slots, PCI slots and even the processor were easily upgradable. I'm pretty sure it was built without input from Steve, as I think he was doing the Next thing at the time. The machine was quickly outperformed by the licensed clones that ran the Mac OS of that period. Stock price was around $9 per share at the time and the company really did almost fail.

This sounds like the computer you want, but is it the company you want?

Remember that it was Steve who officially took the word "Computer" out of Apple Computer and made it Apple Incorperated. He also let "Intel Inside". To those of my generation, that was the true death nell to Apple's computers.

Dale

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Most consumers don't want to upgrade computers.
Tech-nerds, gamers, PC consultants, hardware enthusiasts, etc. are the ones who like to crack open a computer and install additional RAM, faster grfx card, bigger SSD, etc.
I'm one of those, dont' worry. :D

On these tech-related forums the above mentioned are the vocal majority.

But the silent paying majority of Mac users probably don't know about upgrading hardware, or don't care about doing it.
A Mac is a tool, and should work out of the box for about 3-5 years. After that it's time for a new one.
The challenge is configuring a Mac as CTO if you're not a tech-head.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The challenge is configuring a Mac as CTO if you're not a tech-head.
I'd say for the majority of people and their needs, i.e., word processing, internet email, etc, the stock machines are more then up to the task. If you think you need more memory or more processing power because you run photoshop or some other app, then you already know to move on to a customized configuration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.