Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bahamallama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I've followed the steps from here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-airport-extreme-settings-for-a-ps4.1951490/

but no go.

The PS4 is only getting 1/2 the speed of my internet connection, wether it's wired or wireless. Everything else in the house is just fine.

My son's PS4 is hardwired, and I'm assigning it a static IP based upon it's MAC address, 10.0.1.202, outside the range of DHCP assignable addresses. I have confirmed the PS4 is getting the correct address.

I take the address and have it in the default host, which should allow it to be 100% exposed but it makes no difference. I have tried it with port forwarding no go. with port forwarding and default host no go.

I plugged the PS4 into the modem directly and full speed, so I'm assuming it's the apple router settings.

My network has all hard wired connections going to a pair Cisco SR224 unmanaged switches (everything else plugged in gets full speed) then going from that to the Extreme Router.

I've bumped up my connection with TimeWarner to 35mps and with every other device I can get 26 to 36 on speed tests, the PS4 gets 12-16. The upload speeds on all devices are 6+ mbps and on the PS4 it's 2-3mbps.

Previously when I had 15mbps it would be 6-8 down.

I'm guessing this is a PS4 issue with the latest firmware/software as the net is full of people complaining about it but thought I'd ask here.

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide!!

d

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
@bahamallama I would verify that you are actually experiencing a significant speed drop. If you are using the built in speed testing tools on the PlayStation then you run the risk of wonky results. I would try using a known reliable speed testing program like speedtest.net from the PlayStation's browser and comparing results with those from your computer and other clients.

bahamallama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
@bahamallama I would verify that you are actually experiencing a significant speed drop. If you are using the built in speed testing tools on the PlayStation then you run the risk of wonky results. I would try using a known reliable speed testing program like speedtest.net from the PlayStation's browser and comparing results with those from your computer and other clients.

Good point! I forgot to mention I did check with testmy.net and same issue.

d

bahamallama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
It's a simple modem, no errors on network, every other device connects fine.

bahamallama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Here's a little more info, I did a port scan from the PS4 and none are open, I used whatsmyip.org and did the game scan one, then even tried setting up port forwarding to the PS4 and those were reporting as closed, I tried it with both NAT-PMP on and off. The PS4 is getting assigned the correct IP and it's set as the default host.

My understanding is the default host is like the DMZ on other routers and all ports should be open, so I'm not sure why the ports are all reporting as closed?

Thanks again for all the help!!

d

bahamallama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
AirPort Extreme>edit>Advanced>DHCP and NAT

Then there's a toggle switch. That's from my iPad pro airport utility.

d

bahamallama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Netgear CM400. Modem only, no built in wifi.

I also confirmed on a friend of mines the same problem today. Same router, same internet carrier and plan, only getting half speed to his ps4. We are on different segments of Timewarner too.

Thank you for your help!

d

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I would try taking it off the default host and manually forwarding the ports over to it. It is a really strange issue that it appears no one has found the answer to. I do not have PS4 that I can test for you and I never had to troubleshoot game consoles with AirPorts before.

bahamallama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I would try taking it off the default host and manually forwarding the ports over to it. It is a really strange issue that it appears no one has found the answer to. I do not have PS4 that I can test for you and I never had to troubleshoot game consoles with AirPorts before.

I've done that too, absolutely no difference unfortunately. This a very odd issue. We are supposed to go up to 200mbps in summer, here, so that means I'd get 100mbps. lol

Other option is I buy another brand router, use that as the DHCP/NAT server and hardwire the PS4 to that and plug the airport express in for the rest of my network. That's my last ditch effort, but after spending hundreds on the extreme I sorta don't want to spend another 40-50 on another router. :(

Thanks for the reply and anything else, even just guesses are good, as I've used up the common sense solutions.

d

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Other option is I buy another brand router, use that as the DHCP/NAT server and hardwire the PS4 to that and plug the airport express in for the rest of my network. That's my last ditch effort, but after spending hundreds on the extreme I sorta don't want to spend another 40-50 on another router. :(

Can you please describe how it is setup? I thought it went modem --> Extreme --> Switch? Where is that Express?

bahamallama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
Can you please describe how it is setup? I thought it went modem --> Extreme --> Switch? Where is that Express?
Sorry, mistyped. My bad. It's modem>extreme>switch/ps4

I've plugged the ps4 directly to the extreme. I have 2 expresses hard wired in as wifi extenders/music streaming in the back yard.

Again sorry for confusion, gonna go some needed sleep. Lol

Thanks!

d

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
To be honest with you, the speeds you posted from the PS4 are more than ample for playing games and streaming movies. As a result, until Sony releases a fix or someone finds a work around I actually would not worry about it unless it causes issues.

bahamallama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
To be honest with you, the speeds you posted from the PS4 are more than ample for playing games and streaming movies. As a result, until Sony releases a fix or someone finds a work around I actually would not worry about it unless it causes issues.

Yeah it's working fine once I upgraded from 15mps to 35mbps, but it's getting only half the upload speed too so even now it can't do share play even though the connection is fast enough. Share play I guess is when he streams his game from his ps4 to a friend who doesn't have the game. Reminds me of sharing a computer with someone remotely. But I don't think there's much we can do at this moment.

I appreciate your help, thank you!!!

d

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yeah it's working fine once I upgraded from 15mps to 35mbps, but it's getting only half the upload speed too so even now it can't do share play even though the connection is fast enough. Share play I guess is when he streams his game from his ps4 to a friend who doesn't have the game. Reminds me of sharing a computer with someone remotely. But I don't think there's much we can do at this moment.

I did see where the MTU can cause some speed issues on PS4s, but these speed issues appear to be most prevalent when used with Apple routers.

bahamallama

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I did see where the MTU can cause some speed issues on PS4s, but these speed issues appear to be most prevalent when used with Apple routers.
I tried playing with the MTU settings, I know end of 2014 PSN had server issues and a lower MTU was working better. I just played with the settings and no change. I did read though that Apple routers just pass whatever MTU the devices use, so it shouldn't make a difference. I tried various sizes up to the maximum for ethernet of 1500.

I did notice though that today, while the PSN is down, I was getting 19mbps and 5.5mbp up, higher than it was. I'm still thinking this is some type of bad update from Sony, as we never had issues previously, until the last update, our Upstream bandwidth was too low to do the screen sharing but now we are paying for enough upstream for it to work, if the PS4 can get it to reach the bandwidth. Hopefully Sony's solving it.

Thank you though for the idea!

d

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I hope that Sony will release a firmware update and get this fixed for you. One final idea would be to change the IPv6 settings so it is forced to use IPv4 only.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
PS4 network speeds are garbage I think Sony have done this just to Bork game sharing. Tried on a gigabit leased line giving the PS4 it's own external ip and still only 22mb down 6 mb up. Their network stack is abysmal.

RTISTIC007

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2016
I've followed the steps from here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-airport-extreme-settings-for-a-ps4.1951490/

but no go.

The PS4 is only getting 1/2 the speed of my internet connection, wether it's wired or wireless. Everything else in the house is just fine.

My son's PS4 is hardwired, and I'm assigning it a static IP based upon it's MAC address, 10.0.1.202, outside the range of DHCP assignable addresses. I have confirmed the PS4 is getting the correct address.

I take the address and have it in the default host, which should allow it to be 100% exposed but it makes no difference. I have tried it with port forwarding no go. with port forwarding and default host no go.

I plugged the PS4 into the modem directly and full speed, so I'm assuming it's the apple router settings.

My network has all hard wired connections going to a pair Cisco SR224 unmanaged switches (everything else plugged in gets full speed) then going from that to the Extreme Router.

I've bumped up my connection with TimeWarner to 35mps and with every other device I can get 26 to 36 on speed tests, the PS4 gets 12-16. The upload speeds on all devices are 6+ mbps and on the PS4 it's 2-3mbps.

Previously when I had 15mbps it would be 6-8 down.

I'm guessing this is a PS4 issue with the latest firmware/software as the net is full of people complaining about it but thought I'd ask here.

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide!!

d
Hello, call playstation.com and get the server port numbers from them then call your service provider and give them those numbers. I was giving 13 ports but only use 8 it works excellent 66mbps down 10-15 up.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
The speeds you are getting is normal, as I'm getting only 55/6Mb up/down on a 200Mb connection. Same results on both a APX and a Asus 68U running Merlins. Sony cheaped out on the wireless and ethernet cards on the PS4 so don't expect higher speeds than that since its a hardware limitation.

Reactions: satcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.