Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
I'm currently iPad-less, and not really seeing a downside to it, having a 6S Plus. The Plus handles about 80% of what I do, and I have a 15" MacBook Pro for the rest. The Plus just ends up covering the ground my former iPads used to.

Am I the only one in this boat, or are there others who have experienced the same overlap?

And to those that have kept their iPads alongside their Plus, what am I missing?

Reactions: M. Gustave

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
After I got my iPhone 6 Plus, at some point I realized that I wasn't bothering to carry my iPad Mini 2 with me any more. By the time the iPhone 6S Plus arrived in my household, the iPad Mini 2 was collecting dust even though. I was stil using my iPad Air and later, Air 2. I eventually sold the iPad Mini 2 since it was no longer serving any significant purpose for me; the iPhone 6S Plus goes out and about with me, and if I need to check something, it's the tool for that.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a specific purpose for my Macs.
I have a specific purpose for my iPhone 6s+
And I have a specific purpose for my iPad Air 2.

In no case is the specific purpose of one device duplicated by another so I see no need to drop ANY device.

Of course, having more than one device allows me to create a specific purpose for each device which makes it easier for me to justify keeping that device. :)

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
I have a specific purpose for my Macs.
I have a specific purpose for my iPhone 6s+
And I have a specific purpose for my iPad Air 2.

In no case is the specific purpose of one device duplicated by another so I see no need to drop ANY device.

Of course, having more than one device allows me to create a specific purpose for each device which makes it easier for me to justify keeping that device. :)
Out of curiosity, what do you do with the iPad Air 2 that the Plus doesn't cover?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Out of curiosity, what do you do with the iPad Air 2 that the Plus doesn't cover?
It's not a matter of what the iPad could do that my 6s+ can't, it's a matter of the purpose I have determined for the iPad.

The main purpose I have for my iPad is to serve as an in-car navigation system and music streaming system. I use Google Maps and Google Music and the iPad is mounted on a holder on the center console. My iPhone could certainly serve in that purpose, but I prefer the larger screen of the iPad for this.

A secondary purpose for it is as a game/media machine for my kids. Not something I particularly care for my iPhone to do although it's capable of it.

So, again, my iPhone COULD do this, but I choose to use my iPad for that purpose.

Reactions: StarkCity

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Since MacRumors is having issues right now, I will just post this instead of editing my previous message.

I much prefer this over my iPhone, although as I mentioned my iPhone is capable.

12030414_1171244909559193_926183210285147762_o.jpg

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
@eyoungren - you're not the only one having issues! Seems like there are some bugs.

I definitely get the usage for a big screen for a console setup. It makes more sense, and also seems a bit safer for a vehicle.

@M. Gustave - I'm jealous! I'd much prefer a tablet/phone setup, but unfortunately need a full OS for some of the work I do. In that case I can see the iPad taking a more PC like position.

Reactions: eyoungren

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Our family dropped iPads completely. Much more convenient to use our phones for everything. The few points where iPads were better because of screen size are outweighed by convenience and portability.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I still prefer my iPad for casual browsing and consumption in the house. In fact, I take my iPad to work in my briefcase and use it to steam music at work.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
nope could never do that

my ipad pro 12.9 is a must have for me...it's so much better using this for stuff like posting on here even though tapatalk is great for on the go.

youtube access, netflix e.t.c is needed on the bigger device. Any big time power user i can't see how they can just use just their phone.

pdpmojo

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
I gave away my mini 2 and went solo on a 6s+. Soon I realized I needed a home device and the 12.9 pro has filled that role for me very well.

Cheers

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
iPad Air 2 wifi 128 GB for use at home, movies, you tube, web browsing, email. At home, in bed, around house I prefer the bigger iPad screen.

For intense game play, and document creation I prefer my MacBook Pro. Mostly at home.

On the go, use iPhone 6s Plus. In Car, on foot, at work. I prefer carrying one device. The Plus serves that purpose for all uses. And I don't feel I am compromising.

Everything is linked, can answer phone from any device, text message from any device, air play, video conference from any device. Have Word, Excel, Pages, Numbers on all devices and store in iCloud and Onedrive. No matter what I pick up, everything is there, available, usable. All tied together with AirPort Extreme at home, and Apple TV to stream to large screens. On the go have 15GB data per month. Totally integrated system of devices.

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
My iPhone is my most used device but the iPad is better for a lot of things like watching videos, long web browsing sessions, reading comics etc.

Mr.Pooya

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2014
I use my iPad just to read ebook. And that's all i've been doing with it since i got 6s plus.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I use my iPad a lot less since I got my iPhone 6+.
iMac or iPhone. Occasionally iPad, but it never leaves the house.
But then Mrs AFB (who doesn't own a smart phone), lives on hers.
Horses for courses.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
And to those that have kept their iPads alongside their Plus, what am I missing?

Honestly, nothing.
But if you're asking, you're missing screen real state that is nicer for casual browsing and media consumption use, and in certain situations\places will be more comfortable to use over MBP. 6S Plus and MBP are perfect combo, and for these rare situations you can live without a tablet.

nope could never do that

my ipad pro 12.9 is a must have for me...it's so much better using this for stuff like posting on here even though tapatalk is great for on the go.

youtube access, netflix e.t.c is needed on the bigger device. Any big time power user i can't see how they can just use just their phone.

What you describing is a general consumption user, nothing close to a power user, and for this purpose tablets are perfect...

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Honestly, nothing.
But if you're asking, you're missing screen real state that is nicer for casual browsing and media consumption use, and in certain situations\places will be more comfortable to use over MBP. 6S Plus and MBP are perfect combo, and for these rare situations you can live without a tablet.

What you describing is a general consumption user, nothing close to a power user, and for this purpose tablets are perfect...
A power user is somebody who is consistently doing stuff on their devices from social media to forum posting to doing work related stuff. Along with everything I mentioned

ryankul

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2014
Michigan
I did. I had a iPad Mini Retina but with my new 6S Plus there is too much overlap. I never bothered picking my Mini up. Sold it! 6S Plus is amazing and all I need.

chrisforpm

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
I'm probably the only one that still uses the iPhone 6s+ and iPad mini 4 combo. I like the modest bump up in screen size that the mini 4 provides. It also feels much less bulky to carry around.

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
A power user is somebody who is consistently doing stuff on their devices from social media to forum posting to doing work related stuff. Along with everything I mentioned

So you're suggesting everyone that is constantly up to date on their Facebook feed is a "power user"?

I hope you realize how little sense that makes.

Reactions: Sunny1990

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So you're suggesting everyone that is constantly up to date on their Facebook feed is a "power user"?

I hope you realize how little sense that makes.
A power user is somebody who is consistently on their device. Doesn't matter what they are doing. Really isn't exactly hard to understand

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 10, 2016
A power user is somebody who is consistently on their device. Doesn't matter what they are doing. Really isn't exactly hard to understand

It actually does matter what they're doing, and how they're using the device. If you're telling me and everyone else that a thirteen year old girl that is constantly on snapchat and Facebook is a power user, I'm sure I'm not the only one that will tell you you're wrong. You can be as condescending about it as you want, but you're simply off the mark on this.

A power user is someone that's very experienced with the OS, and uses it for a variety of advanced tasks. That's not my definition - that's the definition from a variety of sources that a quick Google can provide you with.

For me, an actual power user, that includes document creation, invoicing, handling finances, managing a supply chain, heavy audio work with GarageBand and other apps, and video work with iMovie and others. I run an entire business from my iPhone, and it handles everything pertaining to it other than web design and photoshop work.

Reactions: phrehdd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.