Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
As the thread starter, cut him some slack. If it wasn't for a member jacking a thread for Vaja, I would've never found out about Calypso Cases.

Just sayin';)

Totally missed that he was the OP. APOLOGIES OP! Still a crap site tho. :eek:

Back to Calypso, has anyone seen IRL pics of these cases? I still can't tell what the heck is going on at the bottom of the case in any photo. This gives pause, especially for this kind of coin.

Knliebe

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014

Back to Calypso, has anyone seen IRL pics of these cases? I still can't tell what the heck is going on at the bottom of the case in any photo. This gives pause, especially for this kind of coin.

I believe the bottom of the case is open similar to the apple leather cases, but I could be wrong.

I am expecting to see pictures of the real cases later this week.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007

Haven't seen any pics yet :( I did email them about the cutouts of the case a while back and they said it will be usable with docks.

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
I still can't tell what the heck is going on at the bottom of the case in any photo. This gives pause, especially for this kind of coin.

I thought about that too; the last Piel Frama I owned for my 5 was open. But their design incorporated a "raised lip" around the bottom which effectively shielded that goofy chamfered edge.

----------

I am afraid that culprit might be me :rolleyes:

This is why I enjoy these forums so much! I found out about both Piel Frama and Vaja from posts like yours. It's all good:cool:

----------

Still a crap site tho. :eek:

Expensive crap too:D

The ostrich was nice. But as my father used to say, "Don't buy a wallet that costs more than you can put in it."

On an unrelated note, as these start arriving, let's make sure we get some pics uploaded. I'm anxious to see what they look like, "real world", rather than Photoshops on their web site.

Last edited:

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
On an unrelated note, as these start arriving, let's make sure we get some pics uploaded. I'm anxious to see what they look like, "real world", rather than Photoshops on their web site.

Yup!! I'm anxious as well! Hopefully they put some up soon :cool:

Knliebe

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Anyone receive their tracking info yet?
If you ordered when the iphone was announced then the 4 week mark is here in a couple days.

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
made in thailand for 130? for real?

What's that saying; whatever the market will bear? As I posted earlier, my Calypso Case "Book" model set me back almost $170.00 US. For that, you get something unique and handcrafted. You definitely won't meet yourself carrying the same thing; and I like that :cool:

----------

Anyone receive their tracking info yet?
If you ordered when the iphone was announced then the 4 week mark is here in a couple days.

I know their ordering info. states 3-4 week ship times. I bought mine on the 19th; three weeks ago day after tomorrow. I'm hoping mine will be in the first batch but I'm not holding my breath.:)

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I contacted them yesterday for some real photos of the case but they just sent the same response as before "We're working hard to get some photos available…" which is what they intially told me 2+ weeks ago. I hope they're not having problems producing the case or something… I would think we would have seen some real photos of it by now (especially if they're supposed to be shipping in just a few days).

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I contacted them yesterday for some real photos of the case but they just sent the same response as before "We're working hard to get some photos available…" which is what they intially told me 2+ weeks ago. I hope they're not having problems producing the case or something… I would think we would have seen some real photos of it by now (especially if they're supposed to be shipping in just a few days).

and that stalling tactic tells me it will not ship in just a few days. taking a photo of a case isn't that hard, unless it doesn't exist in finished state yet.

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
and that stalling tactic tells me it will not ship in just a few days. taking a photo of a case isn't that hard, unless it doesn't exist in finished state yet.

I'm patient to a point; their website stated 3-4 week shipping times. Technically, four weeks since I ordered isn't until the end of next week.

If there isn't a shipping notice too far out after that, I'll simply call my bank and open a dispute. Then they can explain the delay to Visa.;)

Knliebe

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
I'm patient to a point; their website stated 3-4 week shipping times. Technically, four weeks since I ordered isn't until the end of next week.

If there isn't a shipping notice too far out after that, I'll simply call my bank and open a dispute. Then they can explain the delay to Visa.;)

Same here. I'm giving them another 4-5 days. If I don't have a shipping notice or at least some good pictures, i'm canceling my order all together.

Knliebe

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Same here. I'm giving them another 4-5 days. If I don't have a shipping notice or at least some good pictures, i'm canceling my order all together.

Just spoke with them. They said due to incredibly high demand they are expecting a short delay in shipment. But they said the first batch should go out next week.
Which means the average wait is around 5 weeks.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Just spoke with them. They said due to incredibly high demand they are expecting a short delay in shipment. But they said the first batch should go out next week.
Which means the average wait is around 5 weeks.

Thanks for checking with them! :cool:

Ugh, this is starting to give me flashbacks to the original Element Case situation a couple years ago (when the company was just starting up) -- they put up awesome renderings that everyone loved, they took lots of orders and charged everyone in full… and then they delayed the shipping of cases until the end of time due to various production issues :mad:

My Calypso case isn't supposed to ship for 2 more weeks, but if they don't start shipping other peoples cases (whom ordered sooner) next week I think I'll cancel as well. Even if the demand is extremely high… haven't they churned out ONE case by now? If they haven't then there is obviously a problem :(

AlexDB9

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Thanks for checking with them! :cool:

Ugh, this is starting to give me flashbacks to the original Element Case situation a couple years ago (when the company was just starting up) -- they put up awesome renderings that everyone loved, they took lots of orders and charged everyone in full… and then they delayed the shipping of cases until the end of time due to various production issues :mad:

My Calypso case isn't supposed to ship for 2 more weeks, but if they don't start shipping other peoples cases (whom ordered sooner) next week I think I'll cancel as well. Even if the demand is extremely high… haven't they churned out ONE case by now? If they haven't then there is obviously a problem :(

I remember this....the infamous 'Vapor' right? I seem to remember when they announced a 007 version or something like that everyone went nuts. I admit I ordered one and it promptly killed any signal I had

This has been my first case purchase of this type since that experience with Element so I am hoping for a slightly better experience

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
Thank you as well Knliebe. My wife reminded me about a custom straight razor set I ordered 'bespoke' a couple years back which was supposed to ship in 5 weeks. The 5 weeks turned into 5 months. But when it was done, wow :cool:

Leather isn't man-made and doesn't behave sometimes. Adhesives fail, dye lots arrive uneven. And when it's all said and done, the craftsman eyeballs it and doesn't like the way a seam fits or a cover closes. Then it's lather, rinse, and repeat.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have something that is fabricated by hand, with care, and pride. I'll wait...

but it's killing me:D

Attachments

• Razor 30.jpg
    Razor 30.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 130

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
newsflash

Ship times on Calypso's cases have dropped from 3-4 weeks to 2-3 weeks. Not sure what to make of this other than maybe they're finally catching up?

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 138
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.