Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Do you understand what transit navigation does/is?
Yes, don't see what is your issue.

Using Google's maps != Made by Google

Yes, it is. iOS 6 is the first time Apple does it's own cartography. Whoever draws a map is the one that can call it theirs.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Yes, it is. iOS 6 is the first time Apple does it's own cartography. Whoever draws a map is the one that can call it theirs.

Can't tell if serious. It is the first time they made their own maps, it's not the first time they've made the maps app.

And I take it you don't understand transit maps then?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
WOW, Seriously? Google is WORLDS ahead of Apple. Did you watch this Google Event held a few weeks before WWDC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMBJ2Hu0NLw

Check it out, jump to 44 minutes in to check out the 3D Stuff... Even the Apple term Flyover is unoriginal.

I want to know when Apple will stop wasting money on technology to put in the iPhone that is already there and being done better.

..Gromet

Wait am I the only one who thinks it's funny that they demo'ed all those apps on an iPad and not an Android tablet? Just sayin'...:eek:

artgalgenius

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2012
California
Also, I hear Forstall say they are not going to include Transit info, but rather promote App Store transit apps thru the Maps app. More money for the developers and more money for Apple :D

I think that is a good call. If there are any delays/issues/alternate routes to the schedule the user would get updated info on the app. Apple would only be able to provide a standard schedule and not reflect any changes.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Most likely yes it will come out.
Apples' new offering I think is better than the current Google Maps app on the iPhone though.

Unless you live outside the US (like most of the world's population), in which case Apple's Maps are pathetically bad. As in, unusable and worthless. For example, if you zoom in on Tokyo Station - one of the busiest train stations in the world - on Apple maps, you'll see a single label: 東京駅. It's almost as if they spent a whopping thirty seconds throwing it together. On Google Maps you'll see that same label, plus its English translation, and dozens of other names in both English and Japanese - street names, station names, neighborhood names, etc. Oh, and you'll also see stuff like train lines, bus stop locations, etc.

So Apple Maps probably looks decent for the States, but the engineers involved in making it obviously don't get out too much because overseas, it's a joke.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Having used both, Apple's solution blows google maps out of the water. There is literally no reason to use google maps instead.
Huh? Pretty sure he meant the Android version of Maps and Nav, the one that was on iPhones is not even remotely comparable to the Android one. Google stated they would bring an app version of the Android one to iOS (which would be awesome since it's going to be updated to offline use as well shortly), however they said the final decision rest with Apple to allow it to be placed into the App Store.

redtapemedia

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Australia
Apple's Maps data in Australia is TERRIBLE. It shows almost no names of any towns outside of major cities, and the names it does show are of shires, not the towns. They're not tiny places either: when you don't show the name of a town with 40,000 residents there's an issue. I would hope it would improve by the end of the beta, but it seems like there's a colossal amount of work to be done before it's semi usable.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Apple's Maps data in Australia is TERRIBLE. It shows almost no names of any towns outside of major cities, and the names it does show are of shires, not the towns. They're not tiny places either: when you don't show the name of a town with 40,000 residents there's an issue. I would hope it would improve by the end of the beta, but it seems like there's a colossal amount of work to be done before it's semi usable.

Don't feel too bad - I live in a city of 31 million, but not one of the 882 train stations here are shown on the map, nor are any other structures. According to Apple, I live in the middle of a field.

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
There's a possibility that Apple hasn't fully enabled all their maps, because TomTom has a great coverage of maps, but here in town it doesn't have my 45 year old street yet. I think it will be fine at release, there is no way they can release it now, it's just beta though.

redtapemedia

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Australia
There's a possibility that Apple hasn't fully enabled all their maps, because TomTom has a great coverage of maps, but here in town it doesn't have my 45 year old street yet. I think it will be fine at release, there is no way they can release it now, it's just beta though.

Hoping that's the case. TomTom actually license a lot of their map data from other companies though, so hopefully that isn't a barrier to Apple's use.

surma884

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Relax people. Google didn't just get this good with maps overnight. They've been at it for years. You can't expect Apple to match that in such a short time. It will take them a couple years to catch up. Apple bought out some mapping companies so they wouldn't have to start from scratch.

redtapemedia

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Australia
Relax people. Google didn't just get this good with maps overnight. They've been at it for years. You can't expect Apple to match that in such a short time. It will take them a couple years to catch up. Apple bought out some mapping companies so they wouldn't have to start from scratch.

Understand, BUT at this point in the game, Apple have to move quickly or people WILL be upset. Most will perceive shortcomings as feature removals. "The last version of the software could do it, why cant this." Most will neither know, nor care, that the underlying map provider has changed. That is the reality, and Apple need to step up and be competitive. They don't have a "couple of years to catch up".

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Don't count on it. Apple had Google Maps on its phone only because it did not have its own service. Now that Apple has their own maps, they can just chose not to approve Google's Map application.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Understand, BUT at this point in the game, Apple have to move quickly or people WILL be upset. Most will perceive shortcomings as feature removals. "The last version of the software could do it, why cant this." Most will neither know, nor care, that the underlying map provider has changed. That is the reality, and Apple need to step up and be competitive. They don't have a "couple of years to catch up".

Exactly. This is an extremely critical feature for a smartphone. If Apple is interested in staying competitive in a market that moves at lightning speed, they need to make sure they're not taking away features in supposed software updates.

Here's hoping that the beta just doesn't have access to the majority of their mapping data.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Yes, i suppose this is the exception. As of now, it prompts you to download an app from the store instead. Hopefully they include similar bus and train schedules before it leaves beta.

They removed transit directions? Well that stinks. Please tell me that they at least kept walking directions

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Unless you live outside the US (like most of the world's population), in which case Apple's Maps are pathetically bad. As in, unusable and worthless. For example, if you zoom in on Tokyo Station - one of the busiest train stations in the world - on Apple maps, you'll see a single label: 東京駅. It's almost as if they spent a whopping thirty seconds throwing it together. On Google Maps you'll see that same label, plus its English translation, and dozens of other names in both English and Japanese - street names, station names, neighborhood names, etc. Oh, and you'll also see stuff like train lines, bus stop locations, etc.

So Apple Maps probably looks decent for the States, but the engineers involved in making it obviously don't get out too much because overseas, it's a joke.

I travel to Japan at least 6 times per year. This is a deal breaker for me.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I travel to Japan at least 6 times per year. This is a deal breaker for me.
Tell me about it. I mean, if Apple Maps are to be believed, Tokyo Station is a dot surrounded by fields. Never mind the fact that it either hasn't been able to find anything I've searched for or has found it, right in the middle of green fields. Bizarre that Apple thought this was even close to ready for beta testing. If anything, it's pre-alpha, if there is such a thing. Concept app? :rolleyes:

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Even if google doesn't release though the app store, they should do a web app like the youtube web app which is better than the built in iPhone app... I've added it to my homescreen and hey presto.

The money in ads alone that google would make would be worthwhile and apple can't do anything about google creative an iPhone web version..

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I hope the new Google Maps is approved for the App Store, because while I appreciate this is Apple's first attempt at Maps, when I go to Satellite view above my home it's nothing but a mash of green and brown pixels.

On the old maps I could zoom in so far I could clearly see the Gazebo and BBQ in my back garden, telling me that the images were captured on the morning of my 30th birthday BBQ in 2009!

Little comparison:

Glasgow on iOS 6 on iPad 3 on the left. Glasgow on iOS 5 on iPhone 4 on the right.

59795592.png

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Apple stock Maps app is made by Google up to our current iOS 5.

Nope, Apple made it. It uses Google tiles, but the code is 100% Apple. Don't confuse things.

----------

Don't count on it. Apple had Google Maps on its phone only because it did not have its own service. Now that Apple has their own maps, they can just chose not to approve Google's Map application.

So much for user experience. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.