Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsilb

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2018
My Beats headphones drops today, then immediately came back on, dropped again, ... Annoying as I use them for telephone calls and video meetings.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
Bump. How have the connections been over the past month? A reason I did not get the mini was because I heard of all the wireless issues. Has the studio improved on this?

peryhypen

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2020
No issues here with Apple keyboard and trackpad and audio engine Bluetooth 4.0 desktop speakers. As mentioned elsewhere, on booting a few seconds delay before both keyboard and trackpad register.

openmemory

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2022
Can report bluetooth lag and about %50 Wifi signal from the Mac Studio. I have had a Mac Pro sitting in the exact same spot (3 feet from me) for 6 years with no issues. I unplugged it, pulled the Mac Studio out of the box and set it in the identical spot: laggy mouse and slow wifi.

drewaz

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2012
Phoenix
After several weeks of no problems I've started having occasional dropouts with my trackpad. Connection is restored by turning the trackpad off then back on. Sort of a pain but it's not happening too often.

valynor

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2020
Mac Studio (12.3.1) + Magic Trackpad 3 here.
Bought the trackpad 10 days ago, flawless BT performance until yesterday when I had 2 "Connection Lost" within 5 minutes. Now it's working perfectly again.

No new BT devices in the room and all the other devices that can possibly interfere with BT were at the same places that they're always at. I'm inclined to think it's still a macOS issue.

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Is the consensus so far that the Mac Studio is a bit better than the Mac Mini with Bluetooth issues, but still not great (just OK?).

I have the Mac Mini 2018 and I've been plagued by constant Bluetooth issues over the last 3 years. Random dropouts and the range is very, very poor.

I also have two MacBook Pros (Late 2013 and 2017) and they have very few Bluetooth dropouts and the Bluetooth range is incredibly much better. There is no comparison.

I'm interested in the Mac Studio, but reliable Bluetooth would be a big reason for buying one, because I am indeed fed up with the Mac Mini.

Reactions: upritbass

NeoVg

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2019
München
I've switched from a 2018 Mac mini to a Mac Studio recently, no improvement in Bluetooth stability. Sound in AirPods Max occasionally is garbled for a moment and both my Magic Keyboard (the old one with batteries) and my Magic Mouse 2 sometimes lag or completely disconnect and reconnect after a few seconds. Also Unlock with Apple Watch (that work with a combination of Bluetooth and Wifi afaik) is kinda unreliable (works best when I hold the watch right next to the Mac Studio).

There are days when it's perfectly ok and others when it's almost unbearable (especially audio). There are a lot of factors that seem to make it worse. Exact placement of the Mac (which is about 30 cm behind my mousepad), cables connected to the Mac (especially USB 3.0), an iPhone standing in a Qi charger right next to it, stuff laying around on my desk, and so on and so forth...

I've also suspected the very crowded 2.4 GHz spectrum here, but interestingly, there is absolutely no problem with Bluetooth audio with both my iPhone and Apple TV in the same room, it's just rock solid there. o_O

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
It’s an oft used trope, but if you are experiencing problems, contact Apple support to see if they can resolve your issue. Things like Bluetooth should work reliably, just like other forms of networking.

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
What do you believe is the technical reason why Bluetooth is so much worse on Mac Mini (and apparently Mac Studio), compared to the Macbooks? I've have almost no Bluetooth issues with Macbook Pros, but the Mac Mini is a portal to constant Bluetooth frustration.

hkoster1

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I have the occasional (once a week, or so) problem on my Studio Max that swiping on the Magic Trackpad and Mouse stops working. Switching Bluetooth off/on does not fix this, only logging out as user and then logging in again does.

Ladd

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2014
Just today I switched my Keychron K1 keyboard from wired to Bluetooth. I never put the Studio Max to sleep (reasons), but do put the monitors to sleep. I've noticed that I now need to press the space bar twice to wake up the monitors. I assume the first press wakes up the keyboard.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
My Mac Studio has had no Bluetooth issues. My Mac mini M1 would occasionally have some drop outs. So far after a week of heavy usage (>40 hours/week), I've not had a single Bluetooth issue. My Mac Studio is mounted under my desk (on the wall of the back of the desk in the footwell area).

HazardousT

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2022
My Magic Trackpad intermittently drops off and then back on again. No explanation for this to happen. Something is definitely amiss here.

baldyauldeejit

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Both keyboard and mouse dropped out at the same time for about 30 seconds while working in Adobe Illustrator.

shadowmatt

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2005
I have both the Mini and Studio.

The Mini would drop out all the time, especially when I had a webcam plugged into one of the USB ports.

The Studio, which sits in the same place (actually has Mini sitting on top of it ), does not experience the same dropouts. It must have happened a couple of times since I got it at launch and that was probably due to a different issue than the Mini had.

Overall this has been solved I think.

The issue with the Mini was supposed to be down to the bluetooth circuitry being really close to the USB lanes and so interference from attached devices could cause it. I guess they have either separated those components or shielded them better. The Studio does have so much more room to work with.

Reactions: OddyOh

HazardousT

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2022
The last few weeks I've been losing bluetooth on both the keyboard and trackpad. After my display goes to sleep and I attempt to reactivate it by using either of them nothing would work. I have to physically connect my keyboard before the display wakes up and I can use them again.

This is becoming extremely annoying and worrisome.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Buyers, please report your experience of the Mac Studio with Bluetooth mouse/trackpad and keyboard when you get it. I'm curious to know whether this has the same bluetooth reliability/dropout issue that has plagued the Mini for so many years.

Wayne
I've not seen any dropouts at all, this is on a launch day Studio.

Reactions: wayne_rowley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.