Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Software updates aren't going to fix problems that are rooted "in the hardware".

It's the physical design of the Studio (and also the Mini) that impacts the performance of both BT and wifi...

Ah. I missed the memo that this is rooted in hardware. 😳 Though I can definitely understand it, particularly if the antennas are placed in asinine locations inside this aluminum box.

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
Mac Studio M1 here, I have the Magic Mouse, Extended Magic keyboard and a few different AirPods and Beats, and I've never had any dropouts with anything.

kirkster501

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Nottingham, UK
Logitech MX keys for MAC keyboard, Apple Magic Trackpad, Logitech MX Master 3 mouse, Airpods Max, XBox wireless controller all simultaneously connected via Bluetooth to my Mac Studio M2 Ultra.

Alturia 88Key Keyboard, Launchpad Pro connected via USB.

Nothing has ever dropped out on that lot. I have found my Thunderbolt M2 drive not connected a few times though on log in.

Last edited:
Reactions: b17777

jjsereday

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2022
Hey Im wondering who has had bluetooth issues with their Mac Studios and if you or Apple did something to fix it?

I've had a lot of bluetooth issues with the Mac Mini m1 but with my Mac Studio it seemed great... for about 5 months. Randomly bluetooth issues arose first with keyboard lag. I was using the Logitech MX Keys. I switch to Apple's keyboard.

Then I started having mouse stutter and lag with the Apple Magic Trackpad. I didn't have time to fuss around so I just kept it plugged in via USB.

I believe it was after an OS update to Ventura that the issues appeared to go away. As long as I used Apple's trackpad and keyboard. Had unusable lag trying to use the Logitech Keys again.

I think it was after updating to Sonoma I have been getting lag and issues using the trackpad and am so tired of these issues.

(I have had these issues in 3 different homes, different locations and all with minimal 2.4Ghz interference.)

CC88

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2010
Yesterday I noticed that my music via Bose Quietcomfort 35 II dropped and in the same time my mouse stop working for about one second. It happen every one or two minutes.

Will do some test in the next days.

TinHead88

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
I've turned off continuity on all my devices (never use it anyway) and wifi on my Mac Studio (connected via ethernet), then disconnected the Magic Mouse and reconnected. It's been stable for a while now. Can't say what aspect helped but worth trying if you're having issues and don't use those features.

diegog

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2018
Miami, FL
It is essential to ensure no devices are between the mouse and the computer since this can cause interference.
It sucks, tho.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Constantly!! Drives me nuts. Keyboard, mouse, and trackpad continually drop the connection. It has reached the point if I walk up to my mac and they are still connected I'm shocked!!!

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Constantly!! Drives me nuts. Keyboard, mouse, and trackpad continually drop the connection. It has reached the point if I walk up to my mac and they are still connected I'm shocked!!!
I am with you! Drop outs and lag issues multiple times, daily. At this point, it just wouldn’t be right if my keyboard didn’t disconnect and interrupt my train of thought.

Reactions: GlenK

DirkSchreib

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2021
I've turned off continuity on all my devices (never use it anyway) and wifi on my Mac Studio (connected via ethernet), then disconnected the Magic Mouse and reconnected. It's been stable for a while now. Can't say what aspect helped but worth trying if you're having issues and don't use those features.
I‘ve had Bluetooth dropouts with my Mac Studio M1 Max in Teams calls with my Airpods Pro 2 until I switched of Bluetooth and Wifi on my iPhone and iPad. It might be a crowded spectrum issues, but I assume it is related to the continuity feature (which I use but not during calls).

doc james

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
United Kingdom
Couple of points that I don't think have been covered that may give clues:
1) I don't believe this is a problem with laptops. Is there a problem with internalising the power supply (transformer)?
2) I'm not an engineer and only vaguely understand the difference between ground and earth but is there any international differences (e.g. UK has mains earthing)
3) Is any of the lag/stuttering related to monitor upscaling - do problems persist when driving 5K displays?
4) Bluetooth polling seems to be a constant complaint. It's why multiple devices are problematic. And I believe OS X polls lower than Windows. There may have been an episode of ATP where John manually manipulated polling but I'm not sure...

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Ok, it seems that connecting the trackpad to the Studio makes it maintain the bluetooth connection to all bluetooth devices. As long as the TP is wire connected I have not lost connection of mouse or keyboard. For some reason keeping the TP connected solves the drop issue for all three.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Just bought a Satechi X3 Slim Bluetooth keyboard. I'm having bad connectivity issues, lag and so on with my M1 Mac Studio Ultra on Sonoma 14.3.1. Even when it works for a little bit, I can still sense some latency under my fingers vs my old Apple wired keyboard.

It's very dependant on line of sight - much more than reasonable. The computer is only about 2-3 meters away and there are a couple of synthesisers in the way but nothing crazy. The Studio is not in a lead cabinet.

I don't have these issues connecting it with my 2017 MacBook Air running Monterey.

I also have an 'old skool' Apple Trackpad which seems to work without issues on the Mac Studio.

Any solutions?

Last edited:

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
I've figured out that for me, if I turn off my USB3 hub, the problem largely goes away... which isn't very useful!

Still some lag, though. Hey, at least the Mac Studio only cost £4000.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Once again... I recommend that you DON'T USE bluetooth on the Mac -- it can be spotty and problematical.

Even moreso with the Mac Mini and Mac Studio models.

This CANNOT BE FIXED with software or "updates" -- it's "baked into" the design.

If you want a solid connection (and one that STAYS "solid" all the time), use either USB or perhaps Logitech peripherals with their "unifying receiver" (which uses its own radio signal which is NOT "bt").

Reactions: b17777 and Eduardot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.