Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
Hi Folks,

Not long to go till we get new MBPs!

Anyone with a retina mid-2012 model looking to upgrade?

Mine is a 2.3GHz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM - finding it hard to justify upgrading as it works extremely well and has no issues. Listed it on eBay to test the waters.

new2oranges

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Hi Folks,

Mine is a 2.3GHz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM - finding it hard to justify upgrading as it works extremely well and has no issues. Listed it on eBay to test the waters.

how much do you think its worth?

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Hi Folks,

I used to upgrade every year since the unibody MacBook pro. Then the retina MacBook pro came out and I effectively stopped upgrading. The retina MacBook pro upgrades have been relatively stagnant over the last few years. I got a 2.6Ghz 512GB, 8GB Ram. I'm always running low on storage and will be looking for a 1TB or 2TB option this time around.

This new redesign looks to be the biggest upgrade since the mid 2012 rMBP. I'll be definitely jumping on it. Day 1 purchase :D

Reactions: Smoovejayy

vito

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
how much do you think its worth?
Been offered £900 via eBay, so effectively £780 ish after fees.
[doublepost=1477317824][/doublepost]
I'm tempted to but it won't be easy to get that plastic out of my wallet.

I'm torn, as there is nothing wrong with mine.

I used to upgrade every year since the unibody MacBook pro. Then the retina MacBook pro came out and I effectively stopped upgrading. The retina MacBook pro upgrades have been relatively stagnant over the last few years. I got a 2.6Ghz 512GB, 8GB Ram. I'm always running low on storage and will be looking for a 1TB or 2TB option this time around.

This new redesign looks to be the biggest upgrade since the mid 2012 rMBP. I'll be definitely jumping on it. Day 1 purchase :D

I figured as much, been a while since it last got a full redesign.

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I have the 15" 2.7 i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD, GT650M

It really is continuing to do everything I need it to and I have been strongly thinking about buying the new one but not sure if I really need to.

The main "power" tasks I use it for is while travelling to run Lightroom and edit photos. Generating 1:1 previews in LR is the main hit to performance. Especially now with using 50MP Canon 5DSR Raw files. I also keep running up against a full HD and would love 1 or even 2TB. But otherwise I could easily keep using this laptop for a long time.

If the new one is noticeably lighter and thinner for travel then I might upgrade. Otherwise I will likely stick with my mid-2012 for the foreseeable future.

Reno Richter

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
My Mid 2012 15" I replaced the spinner with an SSD and replaced the super drive with an SSD also. I am still on 10.10.5 The critical thing for me is RAM. 16GB is not enough anymore. If the new models only have 16GB then I will wait at least 6 months before I decide what to do. If they have 32 then I will probably make the leap within the next 30 days

WHM

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
South
Hi Folks,

[doublepost=1477337577][/doublepost]My MacBook Pro now is my everyday all in computer, after 4 years I'm ready for a change. If it's a little lighter will be even better since it goes where I go

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
It's hard to justify an upgrade unless there are specific features on the new model that you really want.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
I'm ready to sell my 2012 rMBP on eBay and get the new 2016. OLED toolbar functionality remains a mystery, but I need a faster CPU and GPU. I'm not very tolerant of lag, and the usual apps and windows that I have opened is starting to slow me down with this laptop. My Windows VM in Parallels is starting to slow down as well. Also, 256 GB SSD is feeling pretty cramped and looking forward to 512 GB. I've currently got 16 GB of RAM which is usually sufficient, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to 32 GB to be more future proof (if that's an option.)

It looks like I will get higher resale value on my 2012 rMBP off E-Bay, but please let me know if anyone knows of another avenue that is easier or my lucrative.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I've got a late 2012 rMBP 2.6 512GB and Id like to get native 4K out support finally.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I have the 15" 2.7 i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD, GT650M

It really is continuing to do everything I need it to and I have been strongly thinking about buying the new one but not sure if I really need to.

The main "power" tasks I use it for is while travelling to run Lightroom and edit photos. Generating 1:1 previews in LR is the main hit to performance. Especially now with using 50MP Canon 5DSR Raw files. I also keep running up against a full HD and would love 1 or even 2TB. But otherwise I could easily keep using this laptop for a long time.

If the new one is noticeably lighter and thinner for travel then I might upgrade. Otherwise I will likely stick with my mid-2012 for the foreseeable future.

I'm in the same boat (virtually same config, but slightly faster/newer). I love my 2013 rMBP, and can't find a task that brings it to it's knees. I paid just over $2,000 for mine. For these reasons, it would just be economically stupid to upgrade. Until this current computer dies, or there is a compelling hardware feature that changes my day-to-day computing life, I'm sticking with this for at least the next year, but more likely for two. I think this is wiser, since the retina Macbook Pro wasn't truly refined until a year or so after it initially launched in early 2012, anyways.

My Mid 2012 15" I replaced the spinner with an SSD and replaced the super drive with an SSD also. I am still on 10.10.5 The critical thing for me is RAM. 16GB is not enough anymore. If the new models only have 16GB then I will wait at least 6 months before I decide what to do. If they have 32 then I will probably make the leap within the next 30 days

This blows my mind. I rarely close apps, using about 6-10 at a time throughout the day. I don't think I actively use more than 10-20% of my 16GB memory during this time. MacOS is incredibly powerful at managing memory. I suppose I don't use

Reno Richter

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
I'm in the same boat (virtually same config, but slightly faster/newer). I love my 2013 rMBP, and can't find a task that brings it to it's knees. I paid just over $2,000 for mine. For these reasons, it would just be economically stupid to upgrade. Until this current computer dies, or there is a compelling hardware feature that changes my day-to-day computing life, I'm sticking with this for at least the next year, but more likely for two. I think this is wiser, since the retina Macbook Pro wasn't truly refined until a year or so after it initially launched in early 2012, anyways.

This blows my mind. I rarely close apps, using about 6-10 at a time throughout the day. I don't think I actively use more than 10-20% of my 16GB memory during this time. MacOS is incredibly powerful at managing memory. I suppose I don't use

Not uncommon for me to be running parallels/windows7/soldiworks and a specific business app to talk to our company servers-business apps. Then on 100 percent mac side, Photoshop, Cinema4D or PoserPro, word, excel, mail, text wrangler, VPN Tracker or IPVanish, and Firefox. Memory Cleaner is optimizing all the time and or sending up alerts I am out of memory especially if I render something in Cinema4D or PoserPro

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Technically, me. I owned a rMBP 15" which was inherently faulty. 4 years later, Apple replaced it with a top spec 2015 model. This was also faulty out of the box, so I returned that for a £2000 gift card. Now just waiting to see what they announce.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Hi Folks,

Mine's older and I'm still not yet sold.
2011 BTO 2.3GHz, hi-res matte 1680x1050 non retina, 16GB RAM, 1TB Samsung Evo + second 1TB drive in the superdrive bay,
I don't 'need' nor like glossy screens (retina) in particular, and can do USB3 via my TB display, so the only thing really making me consider it is:
1. my battery life is crappy with a replacement OWC NuTech/NuPower battery - about an hour or less when connected to external display for meetings. Meh.
2. 32GB RAM option might help sway me - as others mentioned, running VMs + native OS X tools adds up quickly.

Besides that, it's all incremental - still only incremental (but getting better) CPU performance.
The disk performance increase should be pretty significant, but it's pretty fast now.
I just picked up an UW QHD 3144x1440 display for home (very nice) and have a pair of 27"s at work, one of which is QHD 2560x1440 - works for me.
'One cable' move to USB-C will be nice, but have me buying a bunch of adapters and looking for a pair (work/home) of worthwhile USB-C docks that can also do to TB1/2. I'd prefer to not be the guinea pig on that one. (while most of the USB-C hubs do not seem to do TB, USB-C only that I've seen..)

Really depends on what's on offer vs the $. 32GB RAM and a 2TB SSD option (I'm at ~90% capacity on my 1TB SSD now) might get me jumping, price dependent. If not, I'm almost definitely waiting for the next refresh then will jump on.

henrikbjorn

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2015
Hi Folks,

Last 2013, 2.3GHz, 512GB SSD and 16GB Ram. I am looking to upgrade. almost 3 years, is a long time in the hardware industry. Hopefully i can get a good price on my current machine and not have the jump be so great.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just upgraded this past September, I opted for a Surface Book instead of waiting it out. The SB has things that the MBP doesn't, so it was a better fit for my needs.

Barrierfreeman

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Technically, me. I owned a rMBP 15" which was inherently faulty. 4 years later, Apple replaced it with a top spec 2015 model. This was also faulty out of the box, so I returned that for a £2000 gift card. Now just waiting to see what they announce.

So many questions.

What was the inherent fault?
How'd you go about getting a gift card? Deal with them instore?

Reactions: BeefCake 15

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
So many questions.

What was the inherent fault?
How'd you go about getting a gift card? Deal with them instore?

It was repaired 8 times for many things, but was plagued by the well known mid-2012 dGPU issues. On my trip to the Apple store to repair it under this programme which covers this particular fault out of warranty, they said it had been repaired too many times and were going to make an exception. This meant they replaced it for a brand new, sealed top end 2015 model (closest configuration to mine as it was bought in 2012).

I waited a few days, and then picked up the new 2015 model. Opened it up to find it was DOA. Took it back and they offered me another one or a gift card to the value of the machine, I opted for the latter. First rate service.

Reactions: BeefCake 15

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Not uncommon for me to be running parallels/windows7/soldiworks and a specific business app to talk to our company servers-business apps. Then on 100 percent mac side, Photoshop, Cinema4D or PoserPro, word, excel, mail, text wrangler, VPN Tracker or IPVanish, and Firefox. Memory Cleaner is optimizing all the time and or sending up alerts I am out of memory especially if I render something in Cinema4D or PoserPro

Thanks for replying, was curious how you were filling 16GB.

Well, I do think it's annoying that as a Pro device, Apple doesn't OFFER 32GB in a notebook. Fingers crossed that changes soon :) Since you also seem to use your Mac for work/business, you could more easily justify and write-off the cost too.

Barrierfreeman

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
It was repaired 8 times for many things, but was plagued by the well known mid-2012 dGPU issues. On my trip to the Apple store to repair it under this programme which covers this particular fault out of warranty, they said it had been repaired too many times and were going to make an exception. This meant they replaced it for a brand new, sealed top end 2015 model (closest configuration to mine as it was bought in 2012).

I waited a few days, and then picked up the new 2015 model. Opened it up to find it was DOA. Took it back and they offered me another one or a gift card to the value of the machine, I opted for the latter. First rate service.

I ask as having similar issues. Not to the level you did, tho.

Apparently, according to the Apple rep I spoke to today, it needs the same issue being repaired 3x and then they'll replace the machine. So I only need my display's coating to peel off one more time and I get a free sub...sorry, replacement macbook pro.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Hi Folks,

I doubt that I will. There is nothing wrong with mine so I see no reason to justify that purchase other than pure lust. Although my partner needs a laptop so I might pass it on and buy myself a new machine but that is most likely the only scenario. Until then I will keep it till it dies or something way more substantial will come along. I don't expect the 2016 be a beast as the CPU jump won't be much and the other tech advances are more like lying a ground work for what the future will bring so I can wait another year or two for that instead.

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
And after seeing the new systems, my 'upgrade' for my 2011MBP is now either keep[ it and see what next model brings, or pick up a used or refurbed maxed out 2014 or 2015MBP.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
I loved the touch bar laptop but not the price...I'll wait until early adopters finish getting the kinks out and the prices normalizes down.

2012 rMBP was priced very high as it was the beginning of retina, I'm not doing that again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.