Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
As the title says is there any compact camera with usb c charging? Finally with the iphone 15 every gadget I personally use is Usb C and i love it. Now Im thinking of getting a compact camera when going out but i do not seem to find any camera that charges with usb C.
My top priorities are taking pics lol that's it and it has optical zoom even better, the more optical zoom would work out just in case.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I don't personally know of any point and shoot cameras with USB-C charging, but it's a very common feature in higher end cameras. I have two Nikons and both have USB-C charging. One's a mirrorless and one's a DSLR. Both released in the past 4 years and both have USB-C.

That said, a major difference between the higher end cameras and the compact point and shoot you're looking for may be that most point and shoots take AA batteries instead of proprietary lithium-ion batteries so that may be the reason why you're not finding USB-C charging in compact cameras.

Still... somebody probably has one.

Last edited:

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
It would have to be one of the newer models as USB-C standard is relatively new, so that limits the field. 1) the new standard would have to offer features the camera could use above and beyond the micro USB used in the past to alter the design, and 2) point and shoots are dead, replaced by the phone camera, so no return on investment to create new models. That said, look at the newest compact models with a 1" sensor or larger, as the classic P&S with the 1:2/3 sensor are the ones not introducing new models.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
A Ricoh GR III is technically a "Point-and-Shoot" with USB-C charging but it's not exactly pocketable and it's probably not priced like the kind of camera you're envisioning. Great camera though.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Following up on prior post, since I shoot Sony, checked their site but can be done for manufacturer, such as Canon or Nikon on their site as they list their current cameras. I found 2 Sony's and both are recent introductions within the past year, as prior generations still being manufactured/sold had the older USB with the micro terminal. Among the 1" sensor "compact" cameras, none of the very nice RX series but the recent ZV-1 VLOG does have USB-C. While marketed for bloggers video, it does take stills. Then steps up to the relatively compact APS-C interchangable lens camera. The newest a6700 has USB-C where the a6600 it replaced and lower number models do not. Suggestion: if you have a particular brand you identify with check their site and rumors of forthcoming models. Also, the best way to screen is look at the various photos of the camera rather than the specification list. Usually will have a picture with the doors open showing the hdmi and usb terminals, where in Sony's case specification had USB-C - Yes, but none had USB-C - No as the field was simply omitted from specs.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Here are a few cameras that can charge her USB-C:
  • Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III can charge over USB-C
  • Fujifilm X100V
  • OM SYSTEM Tough TG-7
I've surely missed some. And there are plenty of other models that support charging over USB micro-B.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Keep in mind that with in camera charging, a swelled battery can be a major headache. Buy OEM batteries sold by reputable outlets. Tape a “pull out tab” to the side of batteries, buy a charger.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Here are a few cameras that can charge her USB-C:
  • Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III can charge over USB-C
  • Fujifilm X100V
  • OM SYSTEM Tough TG-7
I've surely missed some. And there are plenty of other models that support charging over USB micro-B.
Good luck with the X100V. I work for a camera shop. As soon as one arrives it disappears out the door.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Good luck with the X100V. I work for a camera shop. As soon as one arrives it disappears out the door.
I can see why. If I were in the market for one of these cameras then that would be a prime candidate. My local camera shop has both the black and silver variants in stock, but I’m not in need of a new camera at the moment. I still got my original Sigma DP1 going strong.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If I'm not mistaken, the new EU rules around charging will require anything still on the market after "D-Day"(I forget the date-sometime this year?) to have it.

I have to admit that it's a feature I really enjoy on my X-T5. At the same time, I was mildly irritated that on a camera that expensive, Fuji couldn't bother to include a stand-alone charger. I have two batteries for it, and it would be incredibly convenient to be able to charge one while I'm out with the other. I took it on a vacation shortly after getting it, and found I'd often get a battery uncomfortably low in 4-5 hours. I'd end up having to just plug the camera in here and there, while with a stand-alone charger I could have left one charging while I was out and then just swapped. Fortunately even plugging it in for 30-45 minutes would usually top me up enough for several more hours...

So, I'll just toss out from my experience-even if the camera offers it, I still see value in a stand-alone charger.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If I'm not mistaken, the new EU rules around charging will require anything still on the market after "D-Day"(I forget the date-sometime this year?) to have it.

I have to admit that it's a feature I really enjoy on my X-T5. At the same time, I was mildly irritated that on a camera that expensive, Fuji couldn't bother to include a stand-alone charger. I have two batteries for it, and it would be incredibly convenient to be able to charge one while I'm out with the other. I took it on a vacation shortly after getting it, and found I'd often get a battery uncomfortably low in 4-5 hours. I'd end up having to just plug the camera in here and there, while with a stand-alone charger I could have left one charging while I was out and then just swapped. Fortunately even plugging it in for 30-45 minutes would usually top me up enough for several more hours...

So, I'll just toss out from my experience-even if the camera offers it, I still see value in a stand-alone charger.
We had some batteries in the other day for cameras that do t even require a charger. You just plug the USB cable directly into the battery. Super convenient if travelling.
I hope the camera manufacturers adapt that soon.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017

Products already on the market do not need to be updated, but new products (in certain categories) released after the end of 2024 must use USB-C charging.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
We had some batteries in the other day for cameras that do t even require a charger. You just plug the USB cable directly into the battery. Super convenient if travelling.
I hope the camera manufacturers adapt that soon.
Cameras might be able to do it now. I normally transfer photos from the camera to computer via USB rather than than removing the SD card, partly because the computer doesn't have a card slot. If I keep it plugged in after the transfer as I process the photos, the battery is charged back up to 100%. I rarely have use the external charger. I do have to remember to turn the camera off before I launch Lightroom as the import function will read it as a new drive and have to navigate back to the computer's hard drive where photos are stored. I am not one that imports direct into Lightroom, but preset where the photos will reside on the hard drive, then import to Lightroom. An example, using a photoshoot in a couple hours. Camera imports RAW to 1-Import folder (the 1 keeps the directory at top) then move those to real estate shoot destination 2024 folder Realtor-Address subfolder. Direct Lightroom to the subfolder for import and create two additional subfolders for export - full size jpg and 1500px jpg (MLS preferred size). After processing all that, unplug the camera and put it away...with 100% battery. While the a7rIII has a USB-C, the A6000 has the older USB standard.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Products already on the market do not need to be updated, but new products (in certain categories) released after the end of 2024 must use USB-C charging.

I admit, especially since I don't live in the EU, that I haven't followed it but there were a lot of reports coming out last fall that the then-current rule interpretation WAS in fact that all products, whether new to the market or currently in production, needed that capability.

Thom Hogan and a few others have written articles in light of this basically saying that most DSLRs are likely going to get killed off rather than updated from the rule. Working strictly on memory, I THINK the only Nikons that may be able to hang around are the D6 and D780(but don't hold me to those).

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I admit, especially since I don't live in the EU, that I haven't followed it but there were a lot of reports coming out last fall that the then-current rule interpretation WAS in fact that all products, whether new to the market or currently in production, needed that capability.

Thom Hogan and a few others have written articles in light of this basically saying that most DSLRs are likely going to get killed off rather than updated from the rule. Working strictly on memory, I THINK the only Nikons that may be able to hang around are the D6 and D780(but don't hold me to those).
All Nikon DSLR’s are killed off. Just whatever remaining inventory is left is available.

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
Thank you for all your feedback the only one within the price range i want to spend in the tg-7
I was looking something like PowerShot SX740 HS Black but it uses micro usb🤮
The other sony and canon seem more like vloggers cameras. Will keep looking and if any one see's any other model keep me updated please

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Just a curiosity question. This is mainly so that all your devices charge from the same cable?

FWIW the TG-7 is probably about identical to the TG-6 which I own. While I love the little guy it would not be my first choice for a point and shoot unless of course you need the incredible toughness and total waterproof features of the camera. Otherwise you can do much better in that price range.

If not having USB-C is a deal killer, it might be best to wait and see what the new European regs shake out of the tree.

If time is more important than USB-C look at Sony's line of 1" sensor single zoom lens cameras, or if budget is limited the superb Lumix ZS200. Suggestions from others will I'm sure vary considerably. As computer monitors get bigger I think you will find the detail capture weak in any tiny sensor camera, including the TG-7. So keep in mind how you will be viewing the images a year or three down the road, and will you need them to fill the entire computer screen with consistently crisp & noise free images?

Last edited:

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
BTW If considering the TH-7 or Lumix 200, you may or may not find these two threads helpful:

TurboJobo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
San Diego/Tijuana
Just a curiosity question. This is mainly so that all your devices charge from the same cable?

FWIW the TG-7 is probably about identical to the TG-6 which I own. While I love the little guy it would not be my first choice for a point and shoot unless of course you need the incredible toughness and total waterproof features of the camera. Otherwise you can do much better in that price range.

If not having USB-C is a deal killer, it might be best to wait and see what the new European regs shake out of the tree.

If time is more important than USB-C look at Sony's line of 1" sensor single zoom lens cameras, or if budget is limited the superb Lumix ZS200. Suggestions from others will I'm sure vary considerably. As computer monitors get bigger I think you will find the detail capture weak in any tiny sensor camera, including the TG-7. So keep in mind how you will be viewing the images a year or three down the road, and will you need them to fill the entire computer screen with consistently crisp & noise free images?
hi, yeah I just want something small I can throw in my bag pack and If i forget to charge it I can do it on my car or friends house etc. Do you know any more models with usb c?

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
hi, yeah I just want something small I can throw in my bag pack and If i forget to charge it I can do it on my car or friends house etc. Do you know any more models with usb c?
Compact cameras are a dying breed and most of the ones on the market predate the ubiquity of USB-C charging ports. The TG-7 is a fine camera but its main selling point is being a rugged, waterproof camera and compromised are made elsewhere to achieve this. The image quality will be similar to that of a modern iPhone (perhaps worse even) and the zoom range is comparable to the range on an iPhone 15 Pro, so you might not gain much by going that route unless you really want a dedicated (or extra rugged) camera. Your only other options will be to go up in price or settle for another charging solution, e.g. micro USB.

Reactions: OldMacs4Me

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Consider an extra battery and an external charger. As long as you keep the spare battery charged, that will leave the field wide open.

Image quality on my TG-6 is surprisingly good. While 12 MP seems inadequate the detail capture is visibly better than my old 16MP Fuji XP90 which the Oly replaced. The TG-6 is capable of producing excellent 8x10s from almost every subject. Most images should go to at least 11x14. A good 16x20 would be total dumb luck. Don't count on much cropping and that 100mm equivalent maximum telephoto is frequently inadequate. Whether the images are up to filling the entire screen of the next super monitor is anybodies guess.

Again the 1 inch sensor cameras I mentioned above will probably do what you want nicely, unfortunately without the USB-C. They are nice and compact and deliver great depth of field at almost every focal length. The bigger sensor will buy you at least 1 and maybe 2 stops at the higher end of the ISO range as compared to the tiny sensor point and shoots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.