Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wellander

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Huntington Beach Ca
Hi,
I am just wondering if there any rumours about an intel based chip emac in the works?
I work in a school type enviroment where we still can get the emacs but I want to know if it will ever be avaible in the intel form?
Any ideas will be good.
Thanks.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
They would be more likely roll out a minimalist iMac than refresh the eMac. CRTs are liabilities now that governments are getting serious about lead. They could pop in a lesser Yonah, drop the ATI graphics, and so on to bring the price down.
student_trap said:
really, i can't seem to find them

maybe they're just in the US store?
They only offer them to the institutions, not individuals.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
I have always found this weird, but the latest emacs are never shown for sale or advertised.

They are the standard iMac G5, but with no camera, no CD-ROM and slower processors.

I'm guessing they are made to special order.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
howesey said:
I have always found this weird, but the latest emacs are never shown for sale or advertised.

They are the standard iMac G5, but with no camera, no CD-ROM and slower processors.

I'm guessing they are made to special order.

Those aren't eMacs though, they are the Educational models of the iMac G5 and I think this is they way they're going to go in the future for Edu models. It'll take a while but they'll probably release Intel iMacs without the optical drive or inbuilt isight but with a core duo 1.66Ghz, maybe a smaller hard drive. I reckon they'll keep the ATI graphics though. Why do I say that? Well The isight, optical drive, hard drive and processor are all modular and can be unplugged. The processor is in a socket so no motherboard redesign would be required to put in a lesser chip. Apple could save significantly on production costs by using what they already have available and simply not attatch the more expensive parts.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
student_trap said:
any way you can get these without being a school, could you perhaps buy them through a school?
Apple is persistent in only allowing educational institutions to order machines like those described above. However, when institutions upgrade hardware, they usually will auction off old stock into the public.

My guess on the Intel "eMac" is that Apple won't announce it, but simply begin to list it to those looking into large-scale educational purchases.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
AFAIK

the eMac was built in logistical response to Apples departure from CRT to LCDs in their iMacs.

When the iMac was first made, I am sure Apple bought TONS AND TONS of CRTs, stored them in warehouses and used them up until the iMac went LCD.

Then, as you would imagine, Apple still had TONS AND TONS of CRTs lying around. And since you cant sell those to anyone anyone, why not make a new el-cheapo CRT using iMac clone?

Hence the eMac.

Its life is/was over when Apple ran out of CRTs to use.

/rant

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Sdashiki said:
Then, as you would imagine, Apple still had TONS AND TONS of CRTs lying around. And since you cant sell those to anyone anyone, why not make a new el-cheapo CRT using iMac clone?
Except that the eMac and G3 iMac don't use the same size CRT...

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Sdashiki said:
AFAIK

the eMac was built in logistical response to Apples departure from CRT to LCDs in their iMacs.

When the iMac was first made, I am sure Apple bought TONS AND TONS of CRTs, stored them in warehouses and used them up until the iMac went LCD.

Hence the eMac.

/rant

Nope. First of all the CRTs in iMacs were 15" and in the eMac 17", so it's not that Apple had tons lying around from the iMac CRT days. Second of all when the LCD iMacs were introduced LCDs were still way to expensive to put into a sub $1000 computer, so Apple added a new computer to sell to function over form customers who would rather get the same computer with a big CRT than a neat looking computer with a small LCD.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Sdashiki said:
AFAIK

Hence the eMac.

/rant

Except the G3 iMac was 15" and the eMac is 17". And they do still make the eMac, it's just gone back to being educational institution purchase only. My Uni just replaced a bunch of their old, old, oooolllld G3 iMacs with a stack of shiny new eMacs. I tell ya, they're taking over the world, most of the offices have an eMac in them and the higher up guys have G5 iMacs. It's good to see some change.

I hope they keep it there, it's a great educational option, tough, big enough to not have to tie down and simple to upgrade.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I also like the idea that Apple is so bad at managing its supply chain that they still have to try to get rid of supplies they overpurchased more than 4 years ago.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The eMac was Apple's low-cost consumer computer, anchoring the bottom-end of the Mac line. With the appearance of the Mini, it became redundant. There really isn't a point to keep selling it or updating it. Still, they were arguably a better value than the Mini due to their AIO configuration, 3.5" hard drives and (in the last iteration) much better video hardware.

RIP eMac, the last CRT compy by Apple.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I do hope that Apple takes the advice of a lot of people here and introduces an e-iMac: a 17" or even 15" LCD iMac with integrated graphics, no iSight, etc. as Spanky suggested. For the current market, a core solo 15" version could be sold for $799 and maybe even a 1.66 core duo 17" for $999.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I doubt it, but if they did it would just be a stripped down 17" iMac for under $1000. That would be far to close top the Mac Mini line though - you're more likely to see a "super Mini" (something like a much smaller, stripped-down PowerMac) than a cheaper iMac-like all-in-one.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
miloblithe said:
I do hope that Apple takes the advice of a lot of people here and introduces an e-iMac: a 17" or even 15" LCD iMac with integrated graphics, no iSight, etc. as Spanky suggested. For the current market, a core solo 15" version could be sold for $799 and maybe even a 1.66 core duo 17" for $999.

What about the Mac Mini? Seems like the "e-iMac" would conflict too much with the mini's target audience. I can't imagine the e-iMac being a successful product. That's why the edu iMac will most likely stay edu-only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.