Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
emacs are pretty much done. I go to a university and work for the information access derpartment as well. anyway, we are moving to the new intel imacs in may to replace our old imac g4s. no need for any emac. I do know that our student newspaper uses the emac g4 to produce their paper

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
In my department the eMacs would be great. We're going with Dell LCD's and Mac Mini's right now. The eMac is much more cost effective for personal machines and it comes with a mouse/keyboard.

We're waiting for an Intel version badly. That or a stripped down Intel iMac.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Sdashiki said:
AFAIK

the eMac was built in logistical response to Apples departure from CRT to LCDs in their iMacs.

When the iMac was first made, I am sure Apple bought TONS AND TONS of CRTs, stored them in warehouses and used them up until the iMac went LCD.

/rant

Nope. Dell revolutionized the computer company with it's "order on need" management. All computer companies have follwed this for years and don't buy any parts until they are needed. The eMac was not born out of stockpiles of CRTs. Apple doesn't warehouse anything but assembled comptuers, and then only a 6 weeks supply.

The eMac was a stratigic response to schools who wanted a low cost, low maintence machine. Apple was starting to lose it's edge in the Edu market because it didn't have a low cost machine. The eMac was suppose to help save Apple's marketshare in this niche. Apple initially restricted sales to the Edu market but then opened it up to retail because of demand and to help lower Apple's cost.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
There definitely is a market for the cheap all-in-one. I think Apple should make a budget iMac like people have already said here. Shove a 1.66Ghz Core Solo (or Duo) in, GMA950 graphics and a 15" LCD with a 1280 x 800 resolution and there's one budget iMac. Surely there'll be no need for any case redesigns (except to take the 15" LCD), and the Mini will be fine because it's for people who already have the display, keyboard and mouse.

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
BlizzardBomb said:
There definitely is a market for the cheap all-in-one. I think Apple should make a budget iMac like people have already said here. Shove a 1.66Ghz Core Solo (or Duo) in, GMA950 graphics and a 15" LCD with a 1280 x 800 resolution and there's one budget iMac. Surely there'll be no need for any case redesigns (except to take the 15" LCD), and the Mini will be fine because it's for people who already have the display, keyboard and mouse.

Good idea.

planetgunnar

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2006
wondering

I is it possible to have a 2nd display on the imac intel?
I am going to buy one next weekend and it will mostly be for video editing and motion graphics.
Having a 2nd display would be quite comfortable.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
planetgunnar said:
I is it possible to have a 2nd display on the imac intel?
Yes, you only need an adapter cable. Even better, it allows screen spanning out of the box, no firmware goofiness required.

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I would have to agree with everyone here. The eMac was too much competition for the Mac Mini. So now they have a low-end desktop, a high-end desktop and a sort of middle of the road desktop. I can't see the eMac coming back anytime soon, if ever.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I can't say specifically, but plasma and LCD screens have been around since the 60's, at least on a very small scale. LCD laptops first became relatively affordable in the 1980s, and I think the technology matured for the consumer market around that time, though some few portable computers with flat panels existed in the 1970s. Military applications with LCDs or plasma screens showed up in the 70's, and the medical industry was also an early adopter.

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Caitlyn said:
I would have to agree with everyone here. The eMac was too much competition for the Mac Mini. So now they have a low-end desktop, a high-end desktop and a sort of middle of the road desktop. I can't see the eMac coming back anytime soon, if ever.
That's a point you cannot deny. But if so I believe Apple are really making a mistake. They should have priced the Mac mini even cheaper than what it is and keep the emac at it's current price to make it different. They could only allow eMac purchases by educational institutions (although they will be missing on a market, but if they want to push Mac minis and iMacs then thats a sacrifice and compromise to keep the eMac).

I would be prepared to keep a CRT and size/design in return to get an Intel eMac, just keep it simple Apple, throw an Intel Core Solo in there and be done with...nothing more...won't cost you that much!

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
Josias said:
Staying on the subject CRT/LCD; when were the first laptops made (with flat screens), and were these the first flat screens in the world? anynone knows?:eek:

Actually, they weren't LCD. The first laptop was the system that was taken on the first shuttle flight, and it had a Plasma screen and weighed upwards of 20lbs.

maxeythecat

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2006
Caitlyn said:

Of COURSE it was too much competition.........it's a better deal any way you look at it but unfortunately not the potential cash cow that the Mini can turn out to be.How can anyone in their right mind call the Mini "low priced" when after buying a keyboard, mouse and monitor you might as well get yourself an Imac instead 'cos that's how much your're gonna end up shelling out! I said it once, I said it a thousand times, Apple's greedy underbelly started to show when they decided to take the eMac out of the hands of the public. It's a great computer and one helluva bargain, decidedly more bang for the buck that a Mini can ever hope to be. The day they offer us a Mini already tricked out with a keyboard and monitor and sell it for the same price as an eMac is the day they have the "low end" market sewed up and prove to us loyal but somewhat impoverished Mac'rz that they really do give a toss ......until then, forget it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.