Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
Well in the past we seen people adding unlimited iphone data to your account for a fee via ebay and even adding a FAN discount on your AT&T plan.
I wouldnt be surprised since so many AT&T employees have acess to the system.

Yeah I've seen. I wanted to get a bigger FAN discount from someone on here that could do it, but unfortunately, I had a business account which can be changed. O wells. I'm currently in chatting with ATT, so hopefully they cant unlock my iphone 4S!!!

UPDATE: I just got off with chat and the representative told me my unlock was authorized. I got an email literally 2 mins after closing the window. It was for a white 64gb iphone 4S. Now, I have to wait till I get home to see if it's actually unlocked!!!

Last edited:

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Just did a chat session and my phone is unlocked. No questions asked. Followed the script about "i'm not on att please unlock IMEI". Got follow up email from att with pdf file. Restored it in itunes and got "Your iphone has been unlocked message"
very nice and fast. about time

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
Just did a chat session and my phone is unlocked. No questions asked. Followed the script about "i'm not on att please unlock IMEI". Got follow up email from att with pdf file. Restored it in itunes and got "Your iphone has been unlocked message"
very nice and fast. about time

Nice, just out of boredom, I am trying to see if I can get a friend's iphone unlocked via chat. They are not in the USA so it is a diff carrier, I am testing to see IF they can unlock this or system wont allow it at all.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Yeah I've seen. I wanted to get a bigger FAN discount from someone on here that could do it, but unfortunately, I had a business account which can be changed. O wells. I'm currently in chatting with ATT, so hopefully they cant unlock my iphone 4S!!!

UPDATE: I just got off with chat and the representative told me my unlock was authorized. I got an email literally 2 mins after closing the window. It was for a white 64gb iphone 4S. Now, I have to wait till I get home to see if it's actually unlocked!!!

Was your 4S on contract or bought at full price btw?

jokemjokester

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2009
Was your 4S on contract or bought at full price btw?

I bought it from craigslist. The person I bought it from said her daughter didn't deserve one so that's why she sold it. I'm speculating that the phone was still under contract unless they paid the ETF.

Also, I just got off with ATT again to see if I can unlock my girlfriends iphone 4. They told me it was done as a "bulk transaction." I asked what it meant, and she told me it was already in the process of being unlocked prior to me contacting them. Could AT&T be unlocking all off contract iphone's for the hell of it?!!!

rong131989

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2012
I have found a direct link for all of those who do not wish to call AT&T. In all truth this is a backdoor to their chat technical support. It works because AT&T does not use a in house hosted chat so all it takes is a crafty tweak to the liveperson url (a well known live chat support external hosted service).

You may be waiting for a 20-30 mins but it beats calling right?

The url is: https://sales.liveperson.net/hc/518...=WirelessSupportChat&SESSIONVAR!Section=MyATT

and I wrote about my experience here: http://geekmeans.com/so-you-want-to-unlock-your-att-iphone

Thanks a lot for the link, got my iphone unlocked within seconds this way. Called twice before and was told to wait at least 72 hours. I really think it depends on the rep you speak to.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
For my 4S I called in and they at first wanted to transfer me to go phone because that's what my mobile number is, I had to interrupt and say I was calling about an unlock. They looked up my IMEI (bought on ebay) and said it wasn't in their eligible list, they did open a case to research it with a planned resolved date of April 18th.

Wonder if I should pester them again via the on line chat?

ATT announced that starting April 18th all smartphones that want data have to be on a $25 or $50 per month phone plan, in addition to data. So the smallest package is now $30.

A few minutes with an iClarified tutorial will get your 3G unlocked. Add a GoPhone AT&T SIM and you're rolling with phone and text for $10. a month
Add data with 'unlockit.co.nz and you're in business.

No need to spend a ton of time with AT&T and get nowhere...

You do not need an unlocked phone to use AT&T Go Phone prepaid plans. I have used a 3GS, 4 and now a 4S all locked to AT&T on my Go Phone prepaid plan. All you need is to add the APN to get data working, thats it. No unlock or jailbreak required.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I bought it from craigslist. The person I bought it from said her daughter didn't deserve one so that's why she sold it. I'm speculating that the phone was still under contract unless they paid the ETF.

Also, I just got off with ATT again to see if I can unlock my girlfriends iphone 4. They told me it was done as a "bulk transaction." I asked what it meant, and she told me it was already in the process of being unlocked prior to me contacting them. Could AT&T be unlocking all off contract iphone's for the hell of it?!!!

No, AT&T doesn't unlock iphones without asking permission, the customers have to initiate the call and request an unlock then they will unlock it.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Wonder if I should pester them again via the on line chat?

What the heck I did it and they told me it was already pending an unlock via apple, very cool. They said "It can take up to 72 hours to get the notice to itunes or your device as there are many requests."

I think I will try anyway after finishing this podcast. The power of positive thinking paying off?

Edit: and I just got the email minutes after ending the chat.

Edit2: got the unlock message in iTunes. I have a SIM pin set so at first it failed and said unlock SIM and retry later. So I unlocked the SIM and disconnected/reconnected the phone USB. Immediately after that it saw the phone again and I got the unlock message.

Last edited:

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
If you believe, the universe will give it to you ;)

Pretty happy with it. I might investigate a Tmobile prepaid plan now. I have terrible signal strength with AT&T at my house and a good signal with edge speeds might be better for me.

dezmiles

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Anyone received email like me? Does this mean ATT unlock my iPhone?

Dear Customer:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding your AT&T service. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. The issue has been resolved.

Should you have any further needs regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to call us at 1 800 331-0500 and reference the tracking number shown above.

Sincerely,
AT&T

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Anyone received email like me? Does this mean ATT unlock my iPhone?

Dear Customer:

Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding your AT&T service. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. The issue has been resolved.

Should you have any further needs regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to call us at 1 800 331-0500 and reference the tracking number shown above.

Sincerely,
AT&T

No, mine looked like this:

Attached is the information referenced during your discussion today with an AT&T representative. If you have any questions, please refer to our online support site at http://att.com/wireless.

Please do not respond to this e-mail. This mailbox is not monitored and does not accept mail.

Attachments:

Completing Authorized iPhone Unlock
This message, including any offer and attachments, is intended for the named recipient and may contain confidential information. No other person should rely on any offer or information in this message. If you are not the named recipient, please immediately delete this message.

That attachment was a link to this PDF that someone posted earlier; https://mycsp.cingular.com/mycsp/ex...pport/Wireless/iPhone_unlock_email_sample.pdf

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I just went to plug in to see if was unlocked and the email telling me I am now unlocked came through on my current iPhone. Going to restore now. I last chatted with AT&T on Monday afternoon. Lets see if it works!

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Just got my email. (Called them on Sunday). iPhone was purchased from eBay.

Attachments

• IMG_1998.PNG
    IMG_1998.PNG
    184.5 KB · Views: 165

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
You do not need an unlocked phone to use AT&T Go Phone prepaid plans. I have used a 3GS, 4 and now a 4S all locked to AT&T on my Go Phone prepaid plan. All you need is to add the APN to get data working, thats it. No unlock or jailbreak required.

I know. I've been using an ATT locked iPhone 3GS on Go Phone 10 cent prepaid plan for a year. However, ATT announced two weeks ago that starting April 18th if any smartphone user wants data using a Go Phone plan, they must have either the $25 or $50 voice package, in addition to data. If you don't upgrade to a $25 or $50 per month plan your data will stop working and expire, period. That's not just an iPhone policy, it's all smartphone's on the Go Phone plans.

Two days ago I switched to Air Voice Wireless, which is $10 per month for an assortment of stuff, depending on what you use. It's more expensive per month than what I was paying, but the cheapest plan I could find that still offers data. It's also an ATT reseller that works on locked ATT phones, minutes rollover if topped off before the monthly expiration, etc. We'll see how soon ATT tells their resellers to stop offering plans like this.

ATT has lost a lot of business in the last couple of weeks from Go Phone users, if you go read Howard Forums. Everyone is upset with this new policy. My bare minimum usage was costing me $25 every 3 months. Now it will be a minimum of $90 every 3 months, $75 of that for voice and texting services I don't use. I'm not going to pay $25 per month for services I do not use. I do not make many calls and hardly text, but I do use wireless internet regularly. You would think some of these companies would start realizing that and offer some plans built around those models. I'm not a heavy internet user on my phone, I just like having constant email updates, ebay updates, etc., etc. I probably use less than 50mb of data per month, sometimes half of that or even less. If you make 0 calls and 0 texts the Air Voice plan gives 30mb of data per month. So far, after just a few days, it works fine. But we'll see how quickly the data plan goes and if I can add extra money like I could with ATT $25 for 500mb, I think, that didn't expire as long as you didn't let your regular plan expire.

If ATT had been willing to unlock my phone I would have had more choices for providers to switch to, such as Tru Phone which their data prices are half the price of Air Voice and H20, but it requires an unlocked iPhone. I did not buy my iPhone from ATT, and despite it being older than 2 years and out of contract, they refuse to unlock it.

Last edited:

Truckondo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I just went to plug in to see if was unlocked and the email telling me I am now unlocked came through on my current iPhone. Going to restore now. I last chatted with AT&T on Monday afternoon. Lets see if it works!

The first restore did nothing. Tried it again after that and got the unlocked screen. Woohoo!

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
The first restore did nothing. Tried it again after that and got the unlocked screen. Woohoo!

I didn't have to restore. I just popped in a different SIM and the "Activation" screen came up on the iPhone. Clicked through it, and I was allowed on the other network.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
~However, ATT announced two weeks ago that starting April 18th if any smartphone user wants data using a Go Phone plan, they must have either the $25 or $50 voice package, in addition to data. If you don't upgrade to a $25 or $50 per month plan your data will stop working and expire, period. That's not just an iPhone policy, it's all smartphone's on the Go Phone plans. ~

This I completely missed. I just put $100 on their account not long ago too. The level of service I get isn't worth the $25 or more. Guess this unlock just got more important for me. I will start looking around on this, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.