Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
I'm very happy with my iMac (27" 5K). Even though it only has the 1 TB fusion drive it is by far the best Mac I've owned in a number of years. Best screen I've ever had. The Grand Tour looks better on my iMac than it does on my 4k UHD LG TV. I don't regret the money I spent on it at all.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I've had my base 5K iMac for nearly two months and the machine has been fantastic. Screen is absolutely gorgeous and it's still pretty quick even with the 1TB HDD. I paid $1700 with tax during Black Friday sale and I think it was a great deal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've had my base 5K iMac for nearly two months and the machine has been fantastic. Screen is absolutely gorgeous and it's still pretty quick even with the 1TB HDD. I paid $1700 with tax during Black Friday sale and I think it was a great deal.
Yeah, I waited for Black Friday myself and got a nice deal. Things don't often fall in place for me like that, but this time everything worked out well and I saved some $$ :D

Reactions: Rmonster

durwood29

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2017
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, but have been a reader for quite some time, and having had Mac computers for the last 10+ years, I'm giving it a thought to change out my 2011 iMac for a brand new 5K machine.

However.. although I get the concept of why people often are on a forum, trying to solve their problems, sharing (bad?) experiences, it strikes me that there is a lot of moaning and complaints going on with the new iMac 5K. They may very well be absolutely justified, but I'm wondering - are there actually totally happy new owners here who's got no problems with the iMac 5K?

Surely you can push any machine to it's limits, fire 5K games at it and complain the GPU is getting hot and a fan kicks in while you try to put 8 steams of 4K YouTube video to work, but I think that's not what the iMac 5K is for. My needs are especially photography and their associated apps, 1080p video editing (for now), some light work and a game every now and then.

Before hitting the "Buy button" on a brand new iMac 5K, I'd love to hear if your expectations have been met, how happy you actually are, or are you?

Cheers and thanks for a good forum to read !

Purchased the 27 5k in January 2016. The machine always crashed once a week until october when it became unuseable.
It also started kicking me off wifi with the update to Sierra. Four months later this machine is still not working right. Crashed daily and will not stay conected to wifi. Two tips to the shop and multiple calls to engineers who are now involved, and the best(?) engineers at apple cannot make this 27 5k machine work. It is worse than any PC I have had in 20 years. Then I looked on ebay to unload it. Apple is dumping these machines on ebay refurbished for 800 below retail with warranty. These machines are flawed, they know it, they are dumping them on the refurbished market, and they cannot get mine to work. So take your chances if you like, I for one will never buy another mac.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Purchased the 27 5k in January 2016. The machine always crashed once a week until october when it became unuseable.
It also started kicking me off wifi with the update to Sierra. Four months later this machine is still not working right. Crashed daily and will not stay conected to wifi. Two tips to the shop and multiple calls to engineers who are now involved, and the best(?) engineers at apple cannot make this 27 5k machine work. It is worse than any PC I have had in 20 years. Then I looked on ebay to unload it. Apple is dumping these machines on ebay refurbished for 800 below retail with warranty. These machines are flawed, they know it, they are dumping them on the refurbished market, and they cannot get mine to work. So take your chances if you like, I for one will never buy another mac.

so you got a lemon and think the PC world is going to be more consistent in quality manufacture? Good luck with that one.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
snip ... Apple is dumping these machines on ebay refurbished for 800 below retail with warranty. These machines are flawed, they know it, they are dumping them on the refurbished market, and they cannot get mine to work. So take your chances if you like, I for one will never buy another mac.

Where's the like to those cheap iMacs?I can't find any that cheap on ebay.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I bought mine in January 2016, a i7 1TB SSD 16GB ram with a M395X and its been a great machine, there is an issue when shutting down now and then where the screen tears and shows coloured bands, that it seems is a sierra issue and is well documented on Apple forums and mentioned on here too. Other than that its a great Mac. (the screen issues never happened with El Capitan and does not if you go back) Glad I bought it when I diud as the prices have gone up hugely in the UK and my machine would now cost with Applecare almost £3500 it cost back then with same spec £2996 ish

Reactions: George Dawes

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Yes it is a grsat machine. There are some UI lags while having too many apps and desktops open at the same time but it does the job great. Although mine usually freezes with Final cut pr X for some rrason I'm not aware of.

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
Yes it is a grsat machine. There are some UI lags while having too many apps and desktops open at the same time but it does the job great. Although mine usually freezes with Final cut pr X for some rrason I'm not aware of.
What are your specs?

Just curious because I have experienced 0 UI lags or hiccups since purchasing my machine. It's not top specs by any means but it is more than capable of doing its job.

However my use is relatively light.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
What are your specs?

Just curious because I have experienced 0 UI lags or hiccups since purchasing my machine. It's not top specs by any means but it is more than capable of doing its job.

However my use is relatively light.
i7
M395X
256GB Storage
8GB RAM

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Wow, you have the top spec model and you still notice some UI lag..?!?
This is unacceptable!
Immediate red flag is that he says the lag happens when having many programs open and he only have 8 GB of ram. I bet if he installs 16 or 32 GB of ram, the issue would go away.

Many programs require lots of RAM.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Immediate red flag is that he says the lag happens when having many programs open and he only have 8 GB of ram. I bet if he installs 16 or 32 GB of ram, the issue would go away.

Many programs require lots of RAM.
You are wrong because the lag I refer to is UI lag not speed lag.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Without any stats and facts we're all just speculating so nobody can be wrong. :D
There are many facts about it all over MR and Apple official forums, the people who say there is no lag are either in denial to make themselves feel better of their purchase or people who can't really notice and compare face to face a system having UI lag and one who doesn't.

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, but have been a reader for quite some time, and having had Mac computers for the last 10+ years, I'm giving it a thought to change out my 2011 iMac for a brand new 5K machine.

However.. although I get the concept of why people often are on a forum, trying to solve their problems, sharing (bad?) experiences, it strikes me that there is a lot of moaning and complaints going on with the new iMac 5K. They may very well be absolutely justified, but I'm wondering - are there actually totally happy new owners here who's got no problems with the iMac 5K?

Surely you can push any machine to it's limits, fire 5K games at it and complain the GPU is getting hot and a fan kicks in while you try to put 8 steams of 4K YouTube video to work, but I think that's not what the iMac 5K is for. My needs are especially photography and their associated apps, 1080p video editing (for now), some light work and a game every now and then.

Before hitting the "Buy button" on a brand new iMac 5K, I'd love to hear if your expectations have been met, how happy you actually are, or are you?

Cheers and thanks for a good forum to read !

I have a Late 2015 iMac 5K with the i7, 395X, 1TB SSD and 32GB of RAM. I use it for some video editing, Crestron and AMX programming via VMWare Fusion and Windows 10 and Photoshop for graphics editing for the touch panels and other things.

I think the machine is very fast and responsive. It's pretty easy to transport around since it's just like like transporting around a monitor in a huge pelican case. I really like the image quality of the machine.

My gripe is more to the fact that I can't buy a true desktop that can be upgraded anymore. That as Apple machines get updated the upgradability and serviceability goes down. I'd buy the iMac again as a semi portable machine for field work because the MacBooks are just so underpowered but for a fixed position desktop they are only externally upgradable.

I would really love a return to the tower design so I can install my hard drives and expansion cards into it and get rid of all the unsightly cables all over the place. It seems strange having such pretty machines on the desk but having cables all over the place in order to actually have the storage I need.

Edit:

Whoops I just noticed that this was about the first generation iMac 5K. I have the second generation.

The question to ask yourself is would you happy with a very nice monitor with a built in desktop class processor with laptop heat restraints and the rest of the machine being laptop grade parts. It has pretty much the same compromises as a laptop.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I bought mine in January 2016, a i7 1TB SSD 16GB ram with a M395X and its been a great machine, there is an issue when shutting down now and then where the screen tears and shows coloured bands, that it seems is a sierra issue and is well documented on Apple forums and mentioned on here too. Other than that its a great Mac. (the screen issues never happened with El Capitan and does not if you go back) Glad I bought it when I diud as the prices have gone up hugely in the UK and my machine would now cost with Applecare almost £3500 it cost back then with same spec £2996 ish

Same here! I bought my 27-inch iMac a month before Apple increased their prices in the UK, so I should count myself lucky I thought about the possibility when I decided to buy there and then.

I've had my iMac since September last year and I'm very happy with it. I purchased it from the refurbished store and this is the second refurbished iMac I have purchased since I first moved over to Macs. Each time I have been amazed at how perceptively new they look - aside from the brown box packaging - you just can't tell.

I did have an issue with the display though - it was suffering from pretty visible image retention after the display warmed up - not obnoxious, but as a developer distracting enough to sometimes make it difficult for me to differentiate between what I was designing and what the display was retaining. I took it to my local Apple Authorised Service Provider who were very helpful and replaced the display assembly ready for me to pick up just four days later.

Aside from this issue, the performance has been superb. I do notice the Retina display sometimes overwhelms the GPU and causes animation stalls when launching Mission Control and opening stacks on the Dock, but I guess that's the compromise made to offer a Retina display on the iMac at similar price points to what they were before (or should I say, before we were greeted by an unannounced 20% price rise ;))

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.